Forums / Media / Websites

2,569 total conversations in 244 threads

+ New Thread

Apparently Youtube is screwing people over again

Last posted Dec 01, 2016 at 11:23PM EST. Added Nov 29, 2016 at 06:39PM EST
12 posts from 9 users

poochyena wrote:

So the problem is that videos with more likes and comments are given higher priority in searches I guess?

And its a big problem. Videos that are popular now will stay on the top of the search engines while less liked or commented content gets pushed down and never gets to see the light of day. What this means, most likely, is that original content will be shoved aside for non-original content. Because statistically, people like/comment more on stuff like a 5 minute clip from the new doctor strange film, then they would an 8 minute video or a 12 minute lets play.

The videos with the most likes/comments will get more likes/comments because they are the first results, and that means that they'll be perpetually on the top of the search and never change in placement.

It's honestly a really bad system cause it promotes fishing for likes and comments.

Keemstar, as bad as he is, is actually trying to test is Ethan's right with the likes/comments bringing promotion to YouTube

Basically he made his video 1 min long and is asking his audience to like/comment on his video to see if this video gets promoted, and if it gets more views than what he usually gets than YouTube has a serious problem

Like Papa Ethan said, it feels like YouTube's sorta returning to how they were back in the late 00s. While this could be beneficial for things that got screwed over with the 2011 algorithm change like animation, it also brings back the "Dark ages" of "reply girls" and the like.

Also should I make an article about this? (I think that if I do it should be titled “YouTube algorithm change controversies” because this type of controversy is a recurring thing)

also here’s something Ross from Game Grumps posted regarding this

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!