Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,793 threads

+ New Thread

Mechwarrior and Battletech General

Last posted Jul 28, 2012 at 12:27AM EDT. Added Nov 09, 2011 at 03:14PM EST
137 posts from 13 users

I could have sworn we had a mechwarrior thread before but I can't find it.

OH WELL! NEW THREAD!

Mechwarrior is now free to play, sign up at mwomercs.com and wait till the game comes out!

There's a new developer interview where they confirm that the artist behind the art is famed fan artist Alexander "flyingdebris" Iglesias.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/17-developer-interview-1-alex-iglesias

Check out his art here:
http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com

Here's a sample:

Mech commander was awesome, steal mad cats and doesn't afraid of anything.

Also isn't mech warrior f2p now?

Last edited Nov 09, 2011 at 06:32PM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

@Sweatie Yes, you can get MW4: Mercs along with about 100 fan made mechs and maps on mektek.net.

Then we should totally get it, and do a KYM related thing with it.

Hurr someone posted it already.

Last edited Nov 09, 2011 at 06:38PM EST

As a side note:

Do any of you play the Battletech RPG? You know the latest one called "A Time of War"? I just made a character for it.

It took me 6 hours…. Protip: SPREADSHEETS ARE YOUR FRIEND

madcat wrote:

Sure, my favorite mech is Mad Cat haha…

Clanner scum. >:[

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Also isn’t mech warrior f2p now?

Yes…..I wrote that in the first post…..

Last edited Nov 09, 2011 at 07:18PM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Try this: http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home/articles/mechwarrior4-mercenaries-downloads-r1204

Thanks, I feel like a big baby now.

My favourite is the good old Locust specially this version:

130 km/h plus 4 Rocket launcher 10 racks FOR under 2 million C-bills? SIGN ME UP!

Favorite mechs are the Vulture (Mad Dog), Mad Cat (Timber Wolf), and Ares. Vulture is still the absolute favorite, though.

Have some missile support.

Mr Tequila wrote:

FREEBIRTH SCUM. Tremble in fear of my mighty Nova you stravags.

How's that heat dissipation working for you, clanner scum?

I love the clan attitude and mechs but they are absolutely terrible at strategy and tactics. They almost exclusively fight enemies one at a time and they have a strict honor code that makes them believe what ever the opposing force told them concerning their forces' strength. The main reason the IS didn't see this weakness at the start of the war of 3050 was because they thought the enemies were literally aliens, Clans organize their forces differently, and they had strange technology.

In the games I like playing as a merc using clan tech. The best of both worlds.

Last edited Nov 12, 2011 at 10:11PM EST

HUGE INTERVIEW on the official site:
http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/27-developer-qa-1

I think the most important thing that's been discussed is that we're looking at a weekly or biweekly update schedule! So new weapons/maps/mechs every couple of weeks!

Also, some of you might enjoy this: When asked about how the forums are impacting the design of the game, Paul Inouye Lead Designer STATED:

There are a lot of great ideas that are simply out of our scope for this project but it’s good to know that we are not far off base when looking at our current feature set and what the community is asking for. I do however have a deep burning hatred for all things “My Little Pony”.

That wasn't bad. I think the thing you need to improve is the Mech animations. Give them more weight and have them move a bit slower, they looked a bit too flexible there.

In other news: Mechwarrior Online to use CryEngine 3.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/28-cryengine3-powers-mechwarrior-online

@phoenix: My god… it's going to look freaking beautiful with CryEngine 3. And then you're going to spot your first enemy Mech and start focusing on tearing them apart.

I'm going to keep an eye on this game. (Why haven't I? This is friggin' MechWarrior.)

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

@phoenix: My god… it's going to look freaking beautiful with CryEngine 3. And then you're going to spot your first enemy Mech and start focusing on tearing them apart.

I'm going to keep an eye on this game. (Why haven't I? This is friggin' MechWarrior.)

I was worried when they switched to Free to Play that the graphics would be downgraded from that awesome trailer in 2009 but it seems the game is going to look even BETTER!

Especially with those flyingdebris redesigns.

burning_phoneix wrote:

I was worried when they switched to Free to Play that the graphics would be downgraded from that awesome trailer in 2009 but it seems the game is going to look even BETTER!

Especially with those flyingdebris redesigns.

I'm gonna need to check out a few screenshots.

Rewatched the old trailer again. Game still looks awesome. Nothing like two giant mechs blasting the shit out of each other with lasers, machine-guns, and rockets, am I right?

You guys know you can get MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries for free at MekTek.net, right?

In addition to a bunch of new mechs(more mechs then what Microsoft made), maps, systems, and weapons.

So get your mech action on while we wait for MWO to come out.

=WC=Kristof Bowen, MekTek Beta Tester

burning_phoneix wrote:

HUGE INTERVIEW on the official site:
http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/27-developer-qa-1

I think the most important thing that's been discussed is that we're looking at a weekly or biweekly update schedule! So new weapons/maps/mechs every couple of weeks!

Also, some of you might enjoy this: When asked about how the forums are impacting the design of the game, Paul Inouye Lead Designer STATED:

There are a lot of great ideas that are simply out of our scope for this project but it’s good to know that we are not far off base when looking at our current feature set and what the community is asking for. I do however have a deep burning hatred for all things “My Little Pony”.

The Community Manager is Pro-Pony.

Garth Erlam

Posted 17 November 2011 – 02:40 PM
Computer – Online
Forums – Online
Banhammer – Online
All Systems Nominal
Beep

Hello MechWarrior Online forums! My name is Garth Erlam, and I am your MechWarrior Online Community Manager. What is a Community Manager, I hear none of you asking – well sirs and ladys, my job is to make sure the forums are civil, to speak with anyone disrupting said forums civility, and most importantly, reading and reporting your suggestions to the appropriate people.
Something I do want to make very clear, though, is that I am here to be the middleman between the Developers and You, the fans. We want your (well thought out, well written, expertly composed) ideas! We really do, I swear.
Now, to head off the inevitable questions about my MechWarrior/BattleTech background:

First mech game: MechWarrior (followed very quickly by a good couple years of MechWarrior 2). Favourite Mech: Urbanmech (oh, to use? Clan – Nova; Inner Sphere – Uziel). I tend toward digitigrade, smaller mechs. I like to play a skirmish style – essentially I play my mechs like the TF2 Scout. I am currently playing: Skyrim, TF2, L4D2, MechWarrior 4, Counter-Strike, and Civilization V. My favourite music is heavy metal. I am pro-Pony.

If you have any (MechWarrior related) questions or comments, feel free to make them.

Cheers all.

The community manager is the only propony member of the team at the moment. All the others are viciously anti-pony. take one look at the lead concept artist's deviantart and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited Nov 20, 2011 at 01:47PM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

The community manager is the only propony member of the team at the moment. All the others are viciously anti-pony. take one look at the lead concept artist's deviantart and you'll see what I mean.

All I know is flyingdebris, the artist and Paul, the Lead Designer are anti pony.

I don't recall the rest of the team being anything but ambivalent towards ponies unless something new has come up that I haven't read.

I’m gonna need to check out a few screenshots.

There are no screenshots yet I'm afraid. :(

So how ’bout dem lyrans?

HOUSE STEINER! NONE FINER!

So, whilst browsing some random store in Savannah my dad stumbled across this old toy. It's technically a destroid defender from Robotech but it's the same design as a Rifleman in Mechwarrior/Battletech.

Anyone know if it's worth anything? It was made in 1985.

I'll ask around for you. I'm not really sure how much old toys are worth but you never know!

In other news, Mechwarrior Online reveals the new "Dragon" for House Kurita;

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/30-battlemech-4-dragon

Must….stay….loyal….to HOUSE STEINER!

Indeed, I love how flyingdebris keeps the "feel" of the old mechs yet updates the look to the modern era.

Do remember how the dragon looked in MW2?

yeaah……

Suiseiseki I asked on /tg/ about your 1985 mech and only got this response:

(It's worth) Very little. It's a toy from the ExoSquad line, which used some of the macross designs. I have it, the Spartan, and the Tomohawk downstairs myself.

Sorry man. :(

In a peice of good news, flying debris was on /tg/! He responded to a guy who did not like the new designs because they looked "too modern" and liked the 80's campy retro style.

Flyingdebris response was:

your resistance only makes my wacom pen harder ;)

The MWO guys are posting some shit on their Facebook page similar to the way the piece by piece released the Atlas image.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/34-isn-breaking-report

They're also saying they will be releasing something big tomorrow at 10am. I can't recall the timezone and they didn't say what they would be releasing other than it would be awesome. Either a trailer, gameplay, or a public beta.

Basically, the annoucement was an announcement for an announcement.

Insert xzibit.jpg here

But december is "Community Warfare month" which takes about the metagame that's going to be happening in Mechwarrior:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/12/35-december-community-warfare-month

Guys I got a idea for Minecraft…How about we make a Mechwarrior mod? I been trying to figure out how to code but I been having a hard time to figure somethings out…and I'm afraid that's not a hard part. The trick will be the models.

• I'm thinking of making the first model possible typical model that any of you may choose "The Mad Cat" But I do not know how to model.
  • I do not know how to edit models to make them move in the motion of a mad cat.
    Guys if any of you are good at editing or making mods or any of that. Can you please assist me if possible?
    Because think about it:
    Pros:
  • You can drive a mech and shoot holes in mountains or hills.
  • You can make arenas to fight with friends.
  • If you can really help we can have ALL of the mechwarrior models fully functioning.
  • We can make it creeper proof of course.
  • It will be albe to walk over square ledges that are 1 block high as if it's a ramp.
    Cons:
  • It will most likely require a lot of iron or a lot of parts ontop of that.
  • It will be difficult to make most likely.
    I really want some help because it will be a epic win to bring Mechwarrior into a world that you can build anything and everything.
    JUST SO MANY ACTIVITIES!
Last edited Dec 02, 2011 at 04:54PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!