Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Radio: The Music Recommendation Thread

Last posted Jan 11, 2012 at 08:45PM EST. Added Nov 25, 2011 at 07:41PM EST
72 posts from 39 users

We were talking about something like this in the IRC, so here is the music recommendation thread to end all music recommendation threads.

Basically what you do in here is you make recommendations about your favorite types of music; bands, genres, albums, composers, etc. You can post stuff you like, or just talk about stuff you like; it's up to you. Hopefully users will work off each others' unique tastes, and we can all get a better understanding of why all music is awesome.

Normally, we have a thread like this every few weeks or so, and they peter out after a few posts, so let's just keep this one going. Forum rules apply, but everything else is up to you guys. Keep Posting, please.

I shall make the first recommendation: my favorite groups, in no order, are the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, and Wilco.

Keep posting.

Last edited Nov 25, 2011 at 07:43PM EST

I just bought the Led Zeppelin album: "Mothership" today, ha. I'm listening the crap outta it. Some good groups I reccomend: A Flock of Seagulls, Def Leppard, Barenaked Ladies, Daft Punk, Beegees, (check out my profile music) ABBA and Queen.

For those who know me well, this is nowhere near the last post I'll be making here :D

Last edited Nov 25, 2011 at 08:19PM EST

Ben Folds Five- Whatever and Ever Amen
Cake-Pressure Chief, Comfort Eagle
RHCP-Blood Sugar, Stadium Arcadium, Rain Dance Mary, Californication, ect.
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: EVERYTHING, but ESPECIALLY The Last DJ
THe 88-Not only…But Also
JESUS CHRIST I LOVE MUSIC TOO MUCH

Anyone here listen to Drum&Bass?

My favorite groups at this time are Black Sun Empire, Telemetrik, The Prodigy, Pendulum and a little known Darkstep artist called Disturbia

One of my favorites is Black Sun Empire – Arrakis

Last edited Nov 25, 2011 at 09:50PM EST

One band I've been listening to a ton lately is the band BADBADNOTGOOD.

They're a jazz-hop band, and they actually just released their first live album for free on their bandcamp website. So, in the spirit of sharing a new band, here's their studio album and live album. Give it a listen, they really kick ass. (At the very least, listen to the Zelda Medley near the end of their studio album.

The best albums of 2011 IMHO:

The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow
The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
Explosions in the Sky – Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Murs – Love & Rockets, Vol. 1: The Transformation
Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
Death Cab for Cutie – Codes & Keys
Adele – 21
Florence & The Machine – Ceremonials
The Decemberists – The King is Dead
Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, and Chris Thile – The Goat Rodeo Sessions
Ski Beatz – 24 Hour Karate High School, Pt. II

Last edited Nov 26, 2011 at 11:06AM EST

Doc wrote:

The best albums of 2011 IMHO:

The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow
The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
Explosions in the Sky – Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Murs – Love & Rockets, Vol. 1: The Transformation
Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
Death Cab for Cutie – Codes & Keys
Adele – 21
Florence & The Machine – Ceremonials
The Decemberists – The King is Dead
Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, and Chris Thile – The Goat Rodeo Sessions
Ski Beatz – 24 Hour Karate High School, Pt. II

I see Fleet Foxes.
A friend recommended them to me, and I really liked them. I think my favorite song off that album is "Grown Ocean."
Also, I saw the Goat Rodeo Sessions on the Colbert Report, but I haven't gotten that album yet. They seem pretty good, very American in style.

80's synth is fun, but there's also modern electronica.

That album, Kid A, was voted by Rolling Stone as the best of the 2000s. I highly recommend it.

Depends on your taste… But I'm electronica kind of guy. Here's some links to some interesting artists on bandcamp.

Monstercat
http://music.monstercat.com/

Ephixa:
http://ephixa.com/

Lapfox Trax:
http://www.lapfoxtrax.com/ (on a side note, I'm NOT a furry)

ZillieZephyr wrote:

Depends on your taste… But I'm electronica kind of guy. Here's some links to some interesting artists on bandcamp.

Monstercat
http://music.monstercat.com/

Ephixa:
http://ephixa.com/

Lapfox Trax:
http://www.lapfoxtrax.com/ (on a side note, I'm NOT a furry)

I, too, are culturally predispositioned to prefer electronica (D&B, dubstep, darkstep and Trance)

Ephixia! So that's the guy who made the Nyan cat Rave. Thanks for the link, I'll be looking at what else he has here. Already I'm liking his turret dubstep. I love people who make music out of my favorite memes.

Not so sure about Lapfox though, I've browsed his music before and while he does have a few awesome ones, he seems to have many tracks that contain irritating noise: scratching, screeching, scraping, farting and other sounds that should not be used in musical melody

Last edited Nov 28, 2011 at 12:03AM EST

I have a small selection of songs that I'm playing a lot right now on my profile, should anyone care to check them out, but I listen to a lot of music so they tend to change.

@BSOD: 2/5 are from NZ, you have some good artists down there.

00000OOOOooooh! Do share!

Also in response to your question on my wall, yea that one artist I was referring to was in fact State Of Mind, but like I said, I don't actually have any of their stuff at this time.

I'd like to get my hands on some of their work, such as MindSlicer for instance

Drum & Bass fans UNITE!!!!

My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars, Green Day, The Offspring, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, Muse, etc,. (there are dozens more but you're probably looking at this comment like I'm the epitome of an emo kid.)
PERSONAL FAVORITES:
Vampire Money- MCR
Unnatural Selection- Muse
Uptight- Green Day

Last edited Nov 30, 2011 at 01:10AM EST

@Doc, I haven't thought about my top ten of the year yet, but yours is great!!!

Here's three songs from albums that are definitely on my list.

Night Birds – Neon Gray (surf punk from Brooklyn/NJ, hard and fast and amazing guitar work)

The Copyrights – Expatriate Blues (midwest pop punk, I've liked these guys for awhile but this record is the best they've ever done)

P.S. Eliot – Cross Eyed (sad female fronted rock punk. I don't know how to describe them other than bummer jams)

Blur
Stewart Copeland
Andy Prieboy
Deborah Holland
Yoko Kanno
Jethro Tull
Mew

ITT: we post stuff we like, believing that will move mountains.

i like punk and stuff like this but im afraid im nearly the only one in here
well… i post anyway

some ska punk

not punk but still cool

russian ska punk

german punk-rock

german punk

german electro punk

man i dont want to stop
but this was enough for one post

Last edited Nov 30, 2011 at 07:52AM EST

I am very open about what I listen to. my favorite artists are Excision (Dubstep, Bass, Drum-Step), Dot.Darkness (Dubstep, Electronica), Pink Floyd (Rock), Five fingered Death Punch (Metal), Bob Marley (Reggae), Bruno Mars (Pop), and Erasure (Synth-Pop). I don't Hate nor Love Bieber, but Rebecca Black made my ears bleed.
My favorite song is probably Always, By Erasure.

I'm a very big thrash metal guy.

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsam, and Exodus are my favorite thrash bands.

But I'm also a fan of old school rock and roll like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd and Motorhead.

Other bands I love are Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and The Offspring.

Here's some vids of thrash metal bands:

Last edited Nov 30, 2011 at 05:40PM EST

Well, it looks like this thread has been thoroughly hijacked by Rock, Dubstep, Electronica, and Metal _

Have some asian music XD

Japanese Graduation Song

Well, it looks like this thread has been thoroughly hijacked by Rock, Dubstep, Electronica, and Metal

I dunno, KYM appears to have extremely diverse music interests. I can't begin to list all the different genre's mentioned so far.

True, most people have so far mentioned the Rock, Electronica and Metal genre's, but people have all posted different sub-genre's.

As for Dubstep, I've noticed only one person mentioning that (ZillieZephyr). Was there anyone else?

Last edited Dec 01, 2011 at 08:15AM EST

Going through some (not all admittingly) of whats posted I really like that song Don posted, the one called Flightwave was simply brilliant. Also ZillieZephyr I love your taste in music. When I saw you put lapfoxtrax I just had to check out those other sites… SO WORTH IT. Personally Genrewise I love me some chiptune and I have been making it and until now hesitent to post any, so in the very near future (probably not on this thread) you may hear some of my 8-bit (not chiptune… yet) music.

Personally, I'd love to send everyone here a crap ton of music but I know I shouldn't. So heres three really good songs I've been enjoying from some of my favorite genres.

Chiptune:

Trance:

Video game Remixes: (because every mofo likes those :P)

^about the last video… That Cave Story remix hails from the wonderful site called: http://ocremix.org/ Trust me, you'll probably find stuff you like… and don't like from here. But its very easy to find video game remixes from here. But to this date, I still believe the Newgrounds Audio Portal is the greatest collection of video game remixes ever. (as well as every genre of electronic music!) It's just insane over there, I'd link my favorites list of songs (which is so large I cannot still believe it) on NG but I'd probably seem like I'm whoring out.

Lastly Retro Remix Revue and Rare Candy they are two pretty underrated groups whose songs are pretty good. In my opinion some weren't put out right (more so on the RRR side) while others do so well they are probably the best remixes out there:

Check out these two on Itunes!

Last edited Dec 01, 2011 at 02:52PM EST

Let's bump this thread up with a Vietnam-themed mix, because I just happen to be watching Apocalypse Now.

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Keep posting, guys!

It's hard to choose, but here are a couple of my favorite artists in no particular order:

Ratatat
Akon
Daft Punk
JS Bach
Moby
T Pain
Rusko
50 cent
Eminem
Odd Future
Gnarls Barkley
Sean Paul
Les Rythmes Digitales
Gershon Kingsley
TV on the radio
Afroman
Zapp
Kanye West
B.o.B
Caribou
Four Tet
Rone
Hot Chip
AR Rahman
Bluetech
Kraftwerk
Binärpilot
Chicane
Vampire Weekend
Kistuné
MGMT
KiD CuDi
Santogold
RJD2
Nujabes
M83
Eminem
N*E*R*D
Gorillaz
Jean Michel Jarre
Amadou & Mariam
Chromeo
Bob Sinclar
Mr. Oizo
Uffie
Sébastien Tellier
Frank Zappa
Stéphane Eicher
Too $hort
Brian Eno
Hocus Pocus
The Chemical Brothers
Gavintoo
John Legend
Giggs
Air
Royksopp
80kidz
Bonobo
Telepopmusik
Les Nubians
KT Tunstall
Isan
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Lang Lang
Philip Glass
Chris Brown

I am in love with music in obscure time signatures. Here is a list of some of my favorite songs (all of which are in 5/4)

Some alternative metal

Funk rock

Plus I'm currently in love with barbershop music, there's something about a four part harmony that i love.

> Visits thread
> Ends up spending £20 on dubstep and dnb
Goddammit…

I used to like nothing but rock, but recently I've been listening to a lot more dubstep, house and dnb.

Rock:

• Muse
  • Oasis
  • Foo Fighters
  • Kasabian
  • The Strokes

Electronic:

• Deadmau5
  • Skrillex
  • Flux Pavillion
  • Nero
  • Delta Heavy
  • Pendulum

Since visiting this thread:

• Excision
  • Black Sun Empire

Algernon apparently mentioned

• Black Sun Empire
  • And good on you for supporting the artists with real money ;)

Just about everything in Skimaskkass post

Just about everything in Skimaskkass post

I like your tastes dude. That trance number you posted was spectacular, its just the flavor of trance I like: fast, energetic yet uplifting and positive. I wanna add it to my collection of random trance music.

Video game remixes intrigue me too, I bet someone could make some awesome remixes out of the music from Doom, Descent, Half-Life, Duke Nukem and all those ancient games from the days of MIDI.

Last edited Dec 04, 2011 at 10:13PM EST
    high five for SOM!

HAI FAIVE!

By the way, what are your thoughts on Darkstep D&B? When it comes to music that goes with Unreal Tournament and Urban Terror, Darkstep fits nicely. One guy I go to for this is an artist who goes by the name of Disturbia. Here's a sample of his evil concoctions:

Ooh shit, that got all amen-y there for a bit. I like.

In all seriousness, I first got into DnB with DJ Bailey's show on BBC 1Xtra, and he plays a lot of the darkness. DJ Hazard, Noisia (well older Noisia), Phace, Spor, Original Sin, etc. Basically most stuff that comes out on Playaz. I've never heard it called Darkstep, I think the technical term is post-neurofunk (but I'm probably the only one who actually cares).

As to whether I like it, I would say it depends on my mood. This is one of my faves.

I used the word Darkstep only because I heard it thrown around regarding Disturbia's music but that probably is not the official term.

Disturbia's stuff is usually just labeled "Dark D&B" as in D&B that is just dark, not a whole new sub-genre. It doesn't really matter though.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!