Forums / Discussion / General

232,906 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Staff AMA: Amanda

Last posted Dec 25, 2011 at 12:49AM EST. Added Dec 19, 2011 at 11:47PM EST
77 posts from 24 users

Alex>_> wrote:

How do I become a better meme researcher?

Most importantly – learn the ins and outs of the archive sites available to you. One of the things that helped me the most was a human information behavior class I took in grad school -- you have to learn to think like your audience. If I saw a particular advice animal, how many different things would i think of to call it? How many adjectives could describe the picture base? What would people be searching that this image would show up in their search results? ALSO TINEYE! Tineye is the most important browser plugin for life.

Mr Tequila wrote:

How is your love life and/or is working at KYM a turn on or turn off for potential suitors?

LOL @ "LOVE LIFE" foreveralone.jpg

I don't know how to answer that second question. Dudes are either really into it and wanna know everything or don't care at all, but it hasn't gotten me a second date with anyone!

tl;dr

amanda b. wrote:

i herd i leikd mudkips, ya. I never finish the games though I get really bored.

What okayguy.jpg avatar? o.o

My memory fails me. I'm not sure if I hit maximum derp or if you changed the avatar. Might have confused that with another Elder User.

New question: Did I derp?

amanda b. wrote:

LOL @ "LOVE LIFE" foreveralone.jpg

I don't know how to answer that second question. Dudes are either really into it and wanna know everything or don't care at all, but it hasn't gotten me a second date with anyone!

tl;dr

Having friends is* so mainstream

Teh Brawler wrote:

What would be your dream job? Other than working for KYM, I mean.

This is going to sound cheesy but KYM is my dream job. I have never been this happy in my life and there is nothing else I can imagine doing right now. Someday, I want to work in a physical institute for internet studies doing more research into why people do things, but one doesn't exist just yet (although Pew Research is getting close!)

amanda b. wrote:

This is going to sound cheesy but KYM is my dream job. I have never been this happy in my life and there is nothing else I can imagine doing right now. Someday, I want to work in a physical institute for internet studies doing more research into why people do things, but one doesn't exist just yet (although Pew Research is getting close!)

This may sound even more cheesy, but I'd love to have that kind of a job, too, though not for my entire life. I'd like to have a "degree" in internet culture analysis, and study it on the side of whatever I end up doing. To be completely honest, though, I'd love to move to NYC after college and get a job working for Know Your Meme.

Last edited Dec 21, 2011 at 01:54AM EST

Stephen wrote:

What about the internet do you dislike the most? Also, followup question, what do you believe the internet looks like, if summed up or personified in one image?

The fact that people make those gifs with the holes and the eyes. I accidentally looked at one today and freaked out. It was awful. Thinking about it really makes me want to throw up.

this, just with cats

Also welcome to the site!!!!111

Last edited Dec 21, 2011 at 11:51PM EST

Verbose wrote:

My memory fails me. I'm not sure if I hit maximum derp or if you changed the avatar. Might have confused that with another Elder User.

New question: Did I derp?

Haha no, I was just messing with you. It was totally okaygirl.jpg.

I guess I should answer your original question then: It's a secret mystery for you to make up answers for.

Mr Tequila wrote:

Have you ever liked a guy who was into Saves the Day and Thursday and Interpol? I mean I know you're not down with that but were they impressed by your huge collection of 7" vinyl?

Nobody on the internet outside of PPMB cares about Steinways lyrics dude

Teh Brawler wrote:

This may sound even more cheesy, but I'd love to have that kind of a job, too, though not for my entire life. I'd like to have a "degree" in internet culture analysis, and study it on the side of whatever I end up doing. To be completely honest, though, I'd love to move to NYC after college and get a job working for Know Your Meme.

Yeah, it was hard to explain to my family that internet culture is what I want to spend my time on. At first, they were like, oh you're going to work in a library and do this in your spare time right? It was really hard to translate to them that this was my main goal, but as my studies got further away from traditional book stuff and more into trolling, they got less pushy about me finding a place to check out books for people. Now that I've been here for awhile, they get it a lot more because they listen to me talk even if they don't really understand why people want to look at this stuff. My grandma took a couple of my business cards to show to her friends and coworkers and since the cards have meme cats on them, she just tells them that I research why people like to look at cat pictures. It's kind of adorable?

NYC is where important internet stuff is happening, so I would definitely +1 that especially if you want to do anything web-related. It's really been an amazing experience so far and I am incredibly grateful to be part of such a phenomenal team of people.

pug on toast wrote:

Have you met Jamie Dubs?

Sadly, no ;___________________________; He is an internet superstar to me. We used to talk in IRC sometimes last summer. Hopefully he will be at ROFLcon this year and I will shed tears of joy.

Ok, well, at the risk of beating a dead horse, how would I go about getting a job at KYM? Granted, it would probably not be for a couple of years, considering I'm only a sophomore in college.

Teh Brawler wrote:

Ok, well, at the risk of beating a dead horse, how would I go about getting a job at KYM? Granted, it would probably not be for a couple of years, considering I'm only a sophomore in college.

I am probably not the best person to ask! I am teh n00b. You may want to wait for Brad's AMA thread.

amanda b. wrote:

I think this photo answers both of those questions:

That's a pretty nice long and hard wand you got there. What a sssssshame if something happened to it.
Is that a tatoo on your left arm? What is it?

Yeah, Tattoos are cool. I have 11 myself.

Have you ever thought that would make a funny tattoo but you would never do it yourself? What would it be?

Last edited Dec 25, 2011 at 12:50AM EST

Howdy! You must login or signup first!