Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale ie- Sony's Sorta-Smash Clone with a Long Name ie- Proof that Sony has lost all originality

Last posted May 18, 2012 at 11:23PM EDT. Added Apr 28, 2012 at 09:21AM EDT
42 posts from 23 users

I don't do much posting, but someone has to put this up…

PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale is an upcoming game for the PlayStation 3 that will feature characters from Sony's notable IPs.

While the game play is similar to Super Smash Brothers, there are some differences. Instead of knocking the opponent off of the arena, the game requires the player to combo so their meter builds up. Once the meter is at a certain level, the player can be able to do a super move that inflicts massive damage. If the meter is at max, the special attack could be a 1-hit KO.

Confirmed characters:

Kratos (God of War)
PaRappa The Rapper
Fat Princess
Radec (Killzone)
Sly Cooper
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)

Confirmed Stages:

Hades from God of War being attacked by the Patapons.
LittleBigPlanet mixed with Buzz! Quiz. (If you don't answer questions, damage builds up!)
Ratchet and Clank environment that contains a Hydra from God of War 1
Jak and Daxter with Hot Shots Golf characters raining golf balls on you or something like that

Here are some screenshots from the game:

As much as we all know it's copying Nintendo (they might as well have called it super sony bros), sony does have a good roster of popular characters as well. but about that buzz stage, at least that seems an original idea coughcoughwariowarestagecoughcough

I don't know why they'd have Radec from freaking Killzone of all things but not have Cole McGrath or Nathan Drake from inFAMOUS and Uncharted respectively.

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

I don't care whether it's a clone or not, as long as it has good controls, it's good for me. Also, how many characters will this have? Last I heard, it was somewhere in the 20s.

Yeah, you do have a point. Also, many people asked for this, and they're getting exactly what they want. If it's a good game with good controls, I'll buy it.

Please tell me I did NOT just see fat princess hit someone with her ass.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Wait a minute… What if they'd add the P4 protagonist? No wait… there's already a P4 fighting game. How about Cloud? No wait, Dissidia. Even though it looks a bit like a copypasta, it might actually prove good.

Ashbot wrote:

Please tell me I did NOT just see fat princess hit someone with her ass.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Wait a minute… What if they'd add the P4 protagonist? No wait… there's already a P4 fighting game. How about Cloud? No wait, Dissidia. Even though it looks a bit like a copypasta, it might actually prove good.

Fat Princess has more cushion for the pushin'. XD

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I don't know why they'd have Radec from freaking Killzone of all things but not have Cole McGrath or Nathan Drake from inFAMOUS and Uncharted respectively.

Only a couple of characters have been confirmed. Cole and Nathan will undoubtedly be confirmed at a later time.

A video from someone who says this game is original and will be great. He claims to be a nintendo fan as well (even if he mostly trash-talks it in his video and comments). Don't get me wrong, i liked sony before i liked nintendo, and even though i like nintendo more, i'll always like sony as well, but this guy just rustles my jimmies.

If they didn't get third party support, this'll be quite disapointing.

Nintendo has a humongous cast of characters resulting from their constant need of releasing games to support their consoles since they had always limited the third party in order to mantain quality (at least during the NES and SNES years, after these consoles, they didn't get as much support as before). On the other hand, Sony has always got third party support that defined their consoles.

Think about it: What are the best PSX games? The answer will probably be either Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, etc. Notice something? These games were developed by third parties (and Crash Bandicoot is NOW a third party property). I'm not saying that Sony hasn't developed memorable games, quite the contrary.

My point is, while people own Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, most people own a Sony console for the third party, not Sony itself.

Last edited Apr 28, 2012 at 06:10PM EDT

Silver Chariot wrote:

If they didn't get third party support, this'll be quite disapointing.

Nintendo has a humongous cast of characters resulting from their constant need of releasing games to support their consoles since they had always limited the third party in order to mantain quality (at least during the NES and SNES years, after these consoles, they didn't get as much support as before). On the other hand, Sony has always got third party support that defined their consoles.

Think about it: What are the best PSX games? The answer will probably be either Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, etc. Notice something? These games were developed by third parties (and Crash Bandicoot is NOW a third party property). I'm not saying that Sony hasn't developed memorable games, quite the contrary.

My point is, while people own Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, most people own a Sony console for the third party, not Sony itself.

While your statement is agreeable, (Nintendo has had a head-start since 1889) it's not like Sony has no IPs or anything.

Sony's Known IPs

Ape Escape
Arc the Lad
Buzz!
Calling All Cars!
Carnival Island
Colony Wars
Cool Boarders
Dark Cloud
Dark Mist
Demon's Souls
Dead Nation
Destruction Derby
Discworld
Dog's Life
Downhill Domination
Dropship: United Peace Force
Eight Days
Everquest
Extermination
EyePet
EyeToy
FantaVision
Field Commander
Fired Up
Folklore
Fat Princess
Free Realms
Gangs of London
Genji
Getaway, The
Ghosthunter
Gran Turismo
God of War
G-Police
Gravity Daze
Hardware
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf
Ico
inFamous
Intelligent Qube
Invizimals
Jak and Daxter
Jeanne d'Arc
Jet Moto
Jumping Flash!
Killzone
Kinetica
Kung Fu Rider
Lair
Last Guardian, The
Last of Us, The
Legend of Dragoon, The
Legend of Legaia
Lemmings[29]
LittleBigPlanet
LocoRoco
MAG
Mark of Kri, The
MediEvil
Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
ModNation Racers
Motor Toon Grand Prix
MotorStorm
Okage: Shadow King
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
PlanetSide
PlayStation Move Heroes
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
PoPoLoCrois
Primal
Pursuit Force
Rally Cross
Ratchet & Clank
Rise of the Kasai
Resistance
Rogue Galaxy
Ruin
Shadow of the Colossus
SingStar
Siren
Sly Cooper
Sports Champions
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
Sorcery
Starhawk
Start the Party!
Steel Reign
Syphon Filter
The Fight: Lights Out
The Shoot
TV Superstars
Tourist Trophy
Toy Home
Twisted Metal
Uncharted
Untold Legends
UmJammer Lammy
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Warhawk
War of the Monsters
White Knight Chronicles
Wild Arms
Wipeout

With stuff like that, filling up the roster is a piece of cake. As good as nostalgia is, variety is also a good stand for a game. I mean, who wouldn't wanna play as raccoon spy and beat up a rapping dog, a flaming clown and the god of war himself?

I'll enjoy this as a GAME. I never show any prejudice against video games. Unless its animated movie video games aimed at children, they tend to be the same.
My preferred Games are Fighting, and JRPG.

I don't know, it's just Nintendo's cast of characters is far better known and loved that it's easy for them to find characters to fill a roster.

Sony? I feel they need to scrape a little to get up to 20 characters.

I'm actually really digging this game and not being put off by the blatant copycat nature of it which by the sounds of it most of you are and not giving it a fair chance.

The idea of pitting someone like Kratos or Sweet tooth against someone like Parappa or perhaps Sackboy is so awesomely crazy I want this game. There are a few gameplay hooks that separate it from SSB like it being based around taking down health, stages fusing various game levels and the characters apparently having majorly different combat styles to them that also make me interesting.

Also: please don't instantly start stating "I want X in this!". They're obviously gonna announce more. Perhaps in a month at E3?

Related: Gamesradar's list of characters they want to see in it.

Also related: A video that the more cynical of you may enjoy -

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 08:29AM EDT

I am looking forward to the game, and i do still play a lot of playstation (i love sly cooper, ratchet and clank and uncharted) but i still can't look at it without thinking SSB, and that bothers me. the new elements are great and i'll probably get it, but my earlier point still stands.

Huh, looks like info on Nathan Drake popped up:

Nathan Drake’s moves involve him punching up close, but for most of his attacks, he’s an all-range fighter: he uses a pistol, grenade, and rifle. He’ll probably be the character that most resembles Solid Snake from Brawl. His Level 1 bar attack is him pushing over a statue onto his opponents. His Level 3 super is turning enveryone into defenseless monsters where he can then beat them up. His recovery move is a zipline.

I'm not sure if it's final, but it came from Paul Gale and about everything he said about the game was correct for the most part.

Also, here's some gameplay:

Concise wrote:

Huh, looks like info on Nathan Drake popped up:

Nathan Drake’s moves involve him punching up close, but for most of his attacks, he’s an all-range fighter: he uses a pistol, grenade, and rifle. He’ll probably be the character that most resembles Solid Snake from Brawl. His Level 1 bar attack is him pushing over a statue onto his opponents. His Level 3 super is turning enveryone into defenseless monsters where he can then beat them up. His recovery move is a zipline.

I'm not sure if it's final, but it came from Paul Gale and about everything he said about the game was correct for the most part.

Also, here's some gameplay:

Honestly, I had a feeling Nate would play out like that. As for his supers… PUSHING STATUES WUT?

I'm not one for Fighting Games, and I don't have a PS3, so I won't be getting this…

But, I don't see how a cross-over fighting game should automatically be raped and burned for having been used before. That's like murdering Battlefield/CoD/MoH for being a military shooter when there is another military shooter out there.

Just because somebody did something that has been done before doesn't make it a clone. We should wait for actual gameplay info beyond a few screenshots before judging it. Give it a fair chance, and it might prove to be superior to SSB.

As for the roster…

Shit better have Rau Utu…

Cyber6x wrote:

Saw this and thought it'd share

inb4 fanboyism

Ha!

Yeah, that's a good one.

Kinda unfortunate for Microsoft that all their eggs are pretty much in the Halo basket. They can't do a mascot fighter, unlike Sony and Nintendo.

I'm only interested if they include these franchises somehow:

Lemmings – It'd be insane because they'd die super easy. However, there would probably be some gimmick involving their constant deaths. Like, every Lemming killed would strengthen the next one until you pretty much have a super-soldier Lemming.

Jumping Flash! – I'd personally love to see a comeback, but only if they could bring back the weird sense of humor in as well. Also an option: Make the character play only in first-person.

Patapon – All attacks are rhythm based. Enough said.

UmJammer Lammy – If Parappa's going to be in there, they might as well bring back Lammy. Probably an unlockable, if anything.

Mister Mosquito – Piss everyone off in an instant. Nobody remembers him, and adding him would take away space for another, better character.

And while not a franchise:

CHOP CHOP F-ING MASTER ONION. Instantly recognizable, AND already a fighter. Why not include him?

Thank you.

Totally unoriginal, but if it is a good game then I'm all for it. I have been wondering why nobody has tried to edge in on Nintendos corner of the 4-player fighting game market,(and secretly been hoping for a Power Stone remake).

Sony’s IPs that people actually recognize is like, .1 the size of that list. Just as long as it caters to a hardcore, competitor route, and is more like melee and less like brawl. (the screenshots unfortunately look more like the latter)

I think Xbox360 Heros would be better suited to a cross over fps than a crossover fighter :P

I just watched the in depth view, and it looks horrible for competitive play. I actually wish they copied more from smash. At least there isn't tripping.

Everyone knew that Cole Magrath was going to be in, but voice actor Eric Ladin may have accidentally leaked some news on the game on Twitter:

This is a great cast, Glad to be a
part of it along with
@DavidBHayter & @nolan_north
#all-stars #playstation
#BattleRoyale

As of now, the tweet has been taken down. So… Voice actors of Drake and Snake/Big Boss are working on this game… Any thoughts?

Concise wrote:

Everyone knew that Cole Magrath was going to be in, but voice actor Eric Ladin may have accidentally leaked some news on the game on Twitter:

This is a great cast, Glad to be a
part of it along with
@DavidBHayter & @nolan_north
#all-stars #playstation
#BattleRoyale

As of now, the tweet has been taken down. So… Voice actors of Drake and Snake/Big Boss are working on this game… Any thoughts?

Somewhat related to this: check out the IMDB page for it

If that didn't confirm Nathan Drake, Cole and Snake nothing will.

But there's one OTHER character that's in there -

>mfw

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!