Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome

Last posted Jul 06, 2012 at 05:03PM EDT. Added Jul 04, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT
10 posts from 10 users

Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome; a "new" form (by "new", I mean it's a new idea thought of by scientists) of OCD that causes people who have it to be disturbed by grammatical and spelling errors to the point where they must correct them.

I would say that a vast majority of people who correct such errors do it just to be purposely annoying. However, it makes sense for such a form of OCD to exist.

---

Read more about it here: https://illinois.edu/blog/view/25/76120

Everyone realizes that this is a joke article, right? Although it would be interesting to actually do a study as described in the article.

Once again speaking as the resident grammar Nazi, I would like to note that I personally don't tend to make a big deal about grammatical errors unless they are found in something of an official nature (largely anything in print) or if they result in confusion of the meaning of the grammatically botched statement.

Furthermore, it is questionable whether it is wrong to ever split an infinitive, and realistically there is no real rule stating that prepositions are something one cannot end a sentence with. Interestingly, despite my ability to be lax concerning grammar, I take usage of the non-existent two-space rule very seriously; it's more offensive than using Comic Sans.

Perhaps I'll return to this thread later with some useful tips for things to avoid in order to not rustle the jimmies of your grammar Nazi friends (or pepper your writing with if you're looking to be a grammar troll of some sort; I sort of miss Sweatie Killer's ongoing deliberate misuse of your/you're).

I generally don't correct other people's grammar unless I'm being intentionally annoying. However, if I know that I've messed up my own I get pissed off.

Anako wrote:

Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome; a "new" form (by "new", I mean it's a new idea thought of by scientists) of OCD that causes people who have it to be disturbed by grammatical and spelling errors to the point where they must correct them.

I would say that a vast majority of people who correct such errors do it just to be purposely annoying. However, it makes sense for such a form of OCD to exist.

---

Read more about it here: https://illinois.edu/blog/view/25/76120

Well of course it could exist, but there's enough people in the world who are disturbed anyway (not deliberately) and they're completely normal people with no problems.

It's possible though. I'm not pedantic, but I really hate it when people do that.

Wait, what? Genes? I don't think they're serious.

Last edited Jul 06, 2012 at 05:05PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!