Forums / General

195,932 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread


The Brony Doctrine

Last posted Aug 11, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT. Added Jul 14, 2012 at 07:56PM EDT
129 conversations with 48 participants

At first my opinion about
MLP was oh look another Hasbro plot against humanity.

Any way I was here before ponies made a debut so I can actually tell you the difference.
The difference is that the show brought out something in people. I was like oh look another trend in what people was posting…

Then at one point I got annoyed at all the bronies, I was telling them to get of KYM saying it was cancer to this glorious site. I also started going into the very first pony general posting a picture of sephiroth, and blah blah shit blah blah.
Got into an argument with fridge logic.

Suddenly I was the bad guy for like 3 weeks. So I refrained from posting for nearly 3 1/2 months. Lurking yes, but not posting.

By then I realized this cancer has spread everywhere, so I gave up and became tolerant of the bronies.

To this day I have only watched a couple of episodes. Gilda is still the best.

Before ponies, it was research this research that, lol at this lol at that. KYM got a make over about 2 months before MLP, so yeah I was enjoying the site.

This is why I SOMETIMES side with old KYM… NO PONIES

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:59AM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

Natsuru wrote:

I used “Secret Cult” to dramatize what I see of Pony General. I have gone into that thread to see what was going on, and found at least 20 maybe 30 users who I haven’t seen anywhere else on the website. So hopefully you can see why I was instantly alienated and never came back. Thus, a secret cult like-effect.

Do we even have that many people on Pony General? I mean, people come and go so it’s like 20 people active at any one length of time.

to answer your question.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:04AM EDT
Quote

@Natsuru

I used “Secret Cult” to dramatize what I see of Pony General. I have gone into that thread to see what was going on, and found at least 20 maybe 30 users who I haven’t seen anywhere else on the website. So hopefully you can see why I was instantly alienated and never came back. Thus, a secret cult like-effect.

Your perspective is certainly a very interesting one and I’m quite curious about it.

Can I ask; what was so scary about seeing a bunch of users you had not seen elsewhere, why did you feel as though that singled you out personally and separated you from them?

I ask because PG is not the only thread where you will find unique posters. There are a lot of people who just like sticking to one area. Some can only be found in the Dolan article, some can only be found in Meme Research, some can only be found in the World of Tanks thread. That’s never stopped me though so I can’t quite say I understand fully.

Jul 16, 2012 at 06:37AM EDT
Quote

Painis Cupcake wrote:

cought *cough

He used some well known users as examples, gets the point across better.


Natsuru wrote:

I used “Secret Cult” to dramatize what I see of Pony General. I have gone into that thread to see what was going on, and found at least 20 maybe 30 users who I haven’t seen anywhere else on the website. So hopefully you can see why I was instantly alienated and never came back. Thus, a secret cult like-effect.

“20 maybe 30 users.”

Ok, now that’s just drama. There are maybe 5 active users there tops who don’t post elsewhere and maybe 2 or 3 more who are less active. Those less active ones shouldn’t really be counted in that case, as they weren’t really posting that much already.

Now if you add the comment section to that on both the entry and the images, then you would probably exceed the 20 users. But only the General Thread, no, not by far. And even if we’re going to count the comments and images, we have a huge amount of people who post comments but never visit the forum, both bronies and non-bronies.

But I still have to agree with BSoD on this. We have so many users that only post in JFF, yet only the PG thread seems like a seperate group. What makes them an exception? Why should we ask people to post in areas that don’t appeal to them?

Hell, I even have to point out the irony here. Because if I remember it correctly, it was the rest of the userbase who wanted “all pony stuff” brought back to just the Pony General thread. In the older days, posting even one MLP image in a different thread would result into massive downvotes and the direct “No ponies outside of the Pony General hurrdurr!”. And now that we have bronies that follow those guidelines, it’s still not ok.

You must have misinterpreted my argument. I simply was stating that Touhou could not have possibly had the same impact on the (English) internet as a whole as MLP FIM

You have to remember one thing here though. Touhou is still Japanese. Of course something from Japan won’t have as big of an impact as something from the Western web. It’s a lot harder to come across it. When you go to Japan, Touhou’s levels of popularity easily match up or even exceed those of MLP:FiM here.

You see, the problem is not the difference in fandom, it’s the difference in location of origin. MLP:FiM can be seen as the Western Touhou, similar as Touhou can be see as the Eastern MLP:FiM. MLP:FiM has some spread in Japan, but it can hardly be considered notable and not even remotely close to the levels of spread it has here.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 09:46AM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 09:31AM EDT
Quote

@OP
Well i think that it has benefited us yet it has also split a few members a part. The benefital part being the pony threads being able to actually bring members together and being being able to enjoy each others company and being able to relate to one another.

But on the down side is that there are a few people here on the site that dislike the entire thing and wish it never happened because they personally don’t like the show or the fandom. Like Thomas Nair for example. Rather than just hating the show he takes it directly toward the fandom. This has sparked a lot of bad reactions on his behalf and has lead a lot of people to viewing him badly. Not only that but this has happened around the site for a while now.

My opinion on the brony community is that i like them to say the least. They’re really nice mild mannered people who aren’t afraid to like something. They have given me good advice before and they have opened up my mind on how i should view people.

So all in all i think that the all the sub culture about ponies has brought together and split up members on the site.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:25AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

He used some well known users as examples, gets the point across better.

>He
>He
>He
>HE

Nah, I kid. Simple mistake.
In all honesty, I am impressed by the userbase in this thread. I actually considered this thread to be one that should have been locked on the spot, due to its immense shitstorm potential. But instead of a shitstorm, I see quality posts, civil discussion, and not a shitstorm in sight. KYM userbase, I am proud. I think that everything’s been said already, so I have nothing more to add aside from my praise, unless someone comes up with a different viewpoint that we may discuss.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 12:15PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 12:12PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

@RF: I’m not being hypocritcal because unlike the bronies, Pokemon fans don’t think it’s the only thing that matters. I have been showing interest in far more other things than Pokemon here on this site. If I did think that Pokemon was the only thing that matters, then I would’ve used music from the games and anime in the favorite songs thread.

Now, there you go again, making blanket statements about the entire brony fandom. It’s one thing to dislike the show itself, but to dismiss an entire fandom as being obsessive and narrow-minded is sort of unfair. Not the entire brony fandom is bad, although some bronies do demonstrate those traits and sadly, give the other bronies a bad name. Hell, I like MLP, but I’m not one of those loud-and-proud ponyfags that openly blasts everything else, of which we might have too much nowadays, but in all fairness, and to say this as simply as possible, we’re not all them. On the same sort of note, I’ve met a few Pokemon fans that think the franchise is the only thing that matters. So every Pokemon fan is like that. Right?

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:39PM EDT
Quote

Back Later wrote:

RandomMan wrote:

He used some well known users as examples, gets the point across better.

>He
>He
>He
>HE

Nah, I kid. Simple mistake.
In all honesty, I am impressed by the userbase in this thread. I actually considered this thread to be one that should have been locked on the spot, due to its immense shitstorm potential. But instead of a shitstorm, I see quality posts, civil discussion, and not a shitstorm in sight. KYM userbase, I am proud. I think that everything’s been said already, so I have nothing more to add aside from my praise, unless someone comes up with a different viewpoint that we may discuss.

Well, every thread regarding bronies has potential along that same vein. I too am impressed, to be honest.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:41PM EDT
Quote

The show appeals to me for a few reasons. It’s cute and colorful like a lot of the videogames I grew up with and still play today. I’ve always enjoyed cartoons and i do think there is something special about this one that I’ve never really been able to describe, but I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed with it. If I were obsessed with anything, that would be RPG Maker. (Bitches don’t know how much time I spend in RPG maker). Anyways, I also love how over-exaggerated the character’s personalities are and how the creators of the show are always stepping their game up with the animation and songs.

Bronies appeal to me for a number of reasons as well. I almost always find someone in the fandom who shares my interests (in fact mine and Solaire’s favorite bands are exactly the same ones) and I think it’s great that there a lot more people being nice on the internet these days. Yes, we can be aggressive and can take things way to seriously sometimes, but ignoring how that pretty much comes along with becoming a fan of anything that you know a lot of people are going to mock and holding minor indiscretions against us regardless never seemed really reasonable to me, same as people referring to ponies as cancer on the basis that they’re posted very widely and frequently on the internet. When that logic is applied, the content from a lot of popular fandoms should be tarred with the same brush and yet I can think of a handful that almost completely slip under the radar, but I figure there’s understandable enough reason why the one’s I’m thinking of wouldn’t be as annoying to a person who didn’t like mlp.

In reality however, Ponies are just another popular thing and like all the other popular things a person only singles something out as “cancerous spam that needs to be stopped” if it really annoys them – which doesn’t necessarily mean the problem lies with the fandom wanting to post them so much.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 03:01PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 03:00PM EDT
Quote

while the bronies are some of the most creartive, funny, intelligent and nice people i have found the internet, i do have to say that when the thing exploded on KYM it was very unpretty….

especially with that trending images shenaninegs… uuugh… i don’t want to remember that…

but hey, the fandom was is it’s dipers back then, it manged to grow up in just a year.

also, it’s nice to see that the community here is mature, anywhere else there would have to be someones that will go “HURR DURR dey watch a show for little girls!”
but here the actually criticize with understanble points..

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 03:04PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 03:00PM EDT
Quote

I have a question: Has ANYONE heard somebrony say he/she would fuck/bang a pony?
Or am I the only one?

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:16PM EDT
Quote

Jackal Lantern wrote:

I’ve been here for three years, and let me tell you, this fandom hasn’t changed shit. Creepy, obsessive people were eerily fixated on something else before pony came along. Loudmouth, whiny people were every bit as bitchy and obnoxious. Before MLP, we were all stuck on TF2, Touhou, Pokemon, or some other shit. The only real difference is the size of this fandom. This has become such a huge phenomenon in internet culture. That’s why it seems different. In reality, it’s the same shit with more people. More creeps. More haters. And it just seems like a big deal when there are so many dumb people spreading so many dumb opinions on both sides. But, like Kaisrkae said, it’s just loud minorities.

they are a force that must be stopped.
Pokemon fans don’t think it’s the only thing that matters.

People that don’t even like ponies are telling you that your arguments are bad. Please, put a little more thought into your arguments. Sure, some people like this show. Some people think it’s the best. That’s fine. People are allowed to have opinions. Some people treat it like it’s the best thing ever, and diss everyone who doesn’t agree. That’s bad. However, the only person in this thread doing that is you. Pony General regulars straight-up said they don’t think it’s the best show, and yet you just bitch about how Pokemon is better, and the pokemon fandom is better because they like stuff other than pokemon… and then you just keep talking about pokemon. Your hypocritical behavior is greatly disappointing, and you need to learn to stop projecting your flaws onto everyone else.

And by the way, I like Venture Brothers, Homestuck, and Borderlands every bit as much as MLP. I just don’t talk about them because there’s no Venture general, Thomas Nair was the only person that talked to me in Borderlands general so we took the discussion to our walls, and I do occasionally post in Homestuck general. That’s why I “obsess” over MLP. Because people actually want to talk about it.

I think the people in Pony General should COME OUTSIDE AND SAY HI TO THE REST OF THE FORUMS!!

JFF isn’t my thing, and general hasn’t had many discussions that interest me as of late. I could start my own thread, but threads I make never last more than a page, so I just stick to other people’s threads that interest me, since the conversation’s more likely to continue. When I’ve got a good reason to come out, I will, and I do, but Pony General is just more fun for some of us.

If that guy is acting like an asshole, he’d be acting like an asshole whether he was a weaboo, a brony, both, or neither. If that guy is acting kind and tolerant, he would whether he was a CoDfag, a brony, a pokefag, or any other -fag.
I feel like this site, and the Internet in general, takes the whole situation far too seriously. It isn’t a cancer spreading, it’s not a Cult, it isn’t even gender Confusion.

QFT. Verbose also speaks the truth, but I ain’t about to quote all that!

TL;DR version: my little pony is for fagets real men watch care bears get on my level fags lololol

Perfect post, right here.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

I have a question: Has ANYONE heard somebrony say he/she would fuck/bang a pony?
Or am I the only one?

Sure there are those bronies, those type of people are a part of every fandom. I’m sure there are people out there who would just love to bang a Shy Guy. But honestly, was this question really needed?

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:34PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

I have a question: Has ANYONE heard somebrony say he/she would fuck/bang a pony?
Or am I the only one?

>2012
>Not wanting to bang a pony
You are a sick, disturbed man, and you should be ashamed.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

I have a question: Has ANYONE heard somebrony say he/she would fuck/bang a pony?
Or am I the only one?

Uhhh, this post.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I used “Secret Cult” to dramatize what I see of Pony General. I have gone into that thread to see what was going on, and found at least 20 maybe 30 users who I haven’t seen anywhere else on the website. So hopefully you can see why I was instantly alienated and never came back. Thus, a secret cult like-effect.
--

You must have misinterpreted my argument. I simply was stating that Touhou could not have possibly had the same impact on the (English) internet as a whole as MLP FIM. And I backed up my statement with evidence. So what if I am apart of the clearly not as popular fanbase? Yes, alienation occurs and yes everyone finds their alienation disturbing and tend to fight against it.

Also: I admitted the Impact Type was similar despite the Impact Size being drastically different. I don’t know why you are trying to confront me on that. (Unless my manipulation of the English Language is failing me, though that would be a personal issue)
--

Scale and time play a huge role in how I view the two fanbases.

Again I learned about and joined the Touhou Fanbase as it’s popularity began to wane. I could not have possibly known how obnoxious or disturbing the fanbase was prior to me joining. Memories of Phantasm and Ten Desires where the only events I got to experience.

On the other hand, I saw MLP:FIM take off from the ground, once again amused by it’s very presence on the internet like plenty of other things, and then watch in horror as it drops a bomb on Internet City. From the sidelines I watched the millions of pictures get uploaded, the image gallery get refresh view spammed, watch as every other meme I had moderate interest in was assimilated into it like the Borg, the entire forum get flooded before the Mods had enough and threw all the Bronies into their own thread, and a sub community use that single thread so hard they had to lock the damn thing 5 times and restart. The rest was a tornado of flamewars, Trending Topic Complaints, and more Trending Topic Complaints.

Clearly I am still in shock from all that I have seen happen. If the same happened to you during the Touhou Reign of Terror I never got to see, yay for you. The chart I gave clearly shows that what you experienced in Touhou Fanbase’s Birth was nowhere near as powerful as MLP.
--

TL;DR This is how I feel and why I feel that way, not how I logically perceive things. I am an “Outsider”, remember? Perhaps you should be asking “Why” instead of trying to invalidate my thoughts.

And writing that much is exhausting. How the hell do you do it Verbose? Two hours later I am still an emotionally exhausted alien who probably doesn’t make sense to over half the userbase. I need a hug.

Fair enough. I was being a bit confrontational with my last post, and for that I apologize, although to be fair, you were being a bit sensationalist.

I still don’t understand your attitude towards bronies, but I’m assuming it is one of acceptance, with a hint of disbelief. And that’s fine. I just don’t understand your argument. MLP did have a massive impact on the community, like you and Kaiskrae have said, but it has mostly settled down, and I see no reason to still be shocked.

I just want to know why; I’m not invalidating your argument. Could you please explain exactly how the brony epidemic is still shocking to you right now, and how it is any different from Touhou besides the size and the influence of the fandom?

Have a pic I found.

And also Touhou ponies.

Group hug? Group hug.

Sorry if I’m being a bit harsh on you, I really like you, I really do, I just don’t like confusing logical arguments.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 05:55PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT
Quote

All the bronies I met on whirled hated me for not watching the show. Now that…

Is REDICULOUS.

All I’m saying is i’ve been attacked by many bronies, and that, is why i hate them.
Thank you.

Jul 16, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT
Quote

@Shy Guy

Well look here. There are some people who will pester you about the show, whether you watch it or not. But a lot of people do that in fandoms, so you shouldn’t hate a bunch of fans of the show because of the act of only a few people.

Also, I highly doubt any brony would have attacked you for not watching the show without probably some flame material you might have posted. And trust me, I have seen you post some negative comments.
Evidence

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 07:43PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 07:39PM EDT

Spores McMineley wrote:

All the bronies I met on whirled hated me for not watching the show. Now that…

Is REDICULOUS.

All I’m saying is i’ve been attacked by many bronies, and that, is why i hate them.
Thank you.

So let me get this straight… you hate everyone in the fandom based on a kerfuffle you had on another website. Have you read any of the above posts or are just choosing to ignore for the sake of hating. Think about this for a second: What if there was a person that hated the Mario fanbase because a few idiots on another website messed everything up. Every fandom (Megaman, Sonic, Homestuck, etc…) has the idotic force known as the vocal minority.

Remember, generalizations tend make people more close-minded and leave them in their own secluded corner. I’m pretty sure most of us in KYM who are Bronies have never tried to force anything upon anyone, and if someone did, we’d do something about it. I’m also pretty sure a lot of us don’t care if there are people like the show it or not. Never let the stupid choices of a few mess up everything for you.

For example, what would happen if your friend irl was a Brony? Would you stop being friends or would you not mind it? It’s really a case of beer goggles, or in your case, hate goggles.

Also, it’s spelled RIDICULOUS.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 07:41PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

Ermahgerd I only post in pony threads!

@Mexican Android’s evidence

Actually, he gets points back for the “pegasisters r ok” because I actually laughed when I saw that.

@Cult General VI: Return of the Jones

I admit to being one who does not post often outside the Pony General, and I’m probably just giving the wrong impression by allowing one of those rare outside posts on another brony thread. I’m with Verbose; I joined the site a little over a year ago, well before my bronydom, but hadn’t actually posted on the forums until April. Guess where that first post was? That’s right.

The Pony General is good. The brony fanbase is large, and there’s a decent chance that a brand new member would happen to be a brony. Trying to enter unfamiliar forums as a new member can be a bit tricky, even though it’s the Internet and no one has any clue who you are. The Pony General is how I got into the forums; it’s easy to just leap into some discussion as part of a rather welcoming fanbase, compared to a lot of the deep, dark Internet out there. As for the “unfairly confined to a single thread” argument, I disagree that that’s a bad thing. If anything, it makes it a lot more welcoming; a new member knows where to start. Besides, it’s not as though we get around to a lot of discussions that shouldn’t be confined to a single thread. Even though we constantly get on the subject of R34 and the constant trolling attempts, a lot more than we should.

We’re no different than any other fanbase, only larger. With a larger fanbase comes more bad, yes, but it also brings more good.

Post needs more ponu

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 09:17PM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 09:13PM EDT
Quote

I actually redirected Shy Guy’s question here, because I locked his other thread. I locked it, because it wasn’t going to be civil since it started with that question. But this thread was already discussing the fandom specific to KYM, and if he had worded it better, then I thought that he might be able to get a decent answer here.

However, it’s very hard to phrase that question in any instance, and it’s even harder to make it relevant to the somewhat different topic here.
 
 
To answer your question, Shy Guy (and to try to bring it back around to the topic of Bronies in general,) of course. I’ve seen plenty of comments speaking about in-show lines (i.e. Pinkie Pie talking to Cranky or Rarity being hammy.) It certainly crosses people’s minds at the very least.

But to twist it, think about how unlike ponies the FiM ponies are and how much the characters are like teen or young adult humans. Actually, the only consistent pony trait is their pony shape. Sorta.

Ponies IRL aren’t that colorful, they don’t walk or run like the ones in the show do, they certainly don’t talk or stand on their hind legs in the same manner, they don’t express feelings like them…the FiM ponies are very much human. And the writers (and originally Lauren Faust, creator of this iteration of MLP) put a lot of effort and time into the characterization.

If you were to take the ponies from previous generations, you’d probably get a few people who would be attracted to them, because statistically someone will. Rule 34 has a base in varied sexual interests, to be kind. However, it wouldn’t be as many, because the characterization is more like cartoon horses or very simplistic girls. They aren’t nearly as complex as human women.

Since these ponies are more like anime girls (and we know that people are into their hentai,) you could expect people to “like” those ponies. Because they’re basically more animated (figuratively and literally) older girls/young women. The body type being similar to a pony probably doesn’t come into the picture. A person coming to like the pony shape is likely based upon simple, classical conditioning that makes a person like the body only because it’s attached to such endearing, human adult-like characters.

More simply, the pony shape is the bell. The personality is the food. The “clopper” is the dog (no offense.) The clopper may respond to the pony shape, only because it’s always associated with the personality.


@Natsuru

That’s my secret.

I’m always pony.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 01:16AM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 01:10AM EDT
Quote

@Shy Guy

In addition to what Verbose is saying, I’ve seen several people in the MLP image gallery look at a saucy picture of Rarity in lingerie or some pony anthro and say they would tap that. So yes I’ve seen people openly admit they would fuck a horse. It certainly isn’t just you

But put those same people in front of an actual horse, believe me they are not going to bring their dicks anywhere near that. Did you think they were serious?

It’s called dirty humor.

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:39AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Shy Guy

In addition to what Verbose is saying, I’ve seen several people in the MLP image gallery look at a saucy picture of Rarity in lingerie or some pony anthro and say they would tap that. So yes I’ve seen people openly admit they would fuck a horse. It certainly isn’t just you

But put those same people in front of an actual horse, believe me they are not going to bring their dicks anywhere near that. Did you think they were serious?

It’s called dirty humor.

There should be a new rule of the internet:

People will fap to anything, but they wouldn’t put their dick anywhere near it.

Jul 17, 2012 at 04:37AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

@Natsuru

That’s my secret.

I’m always pony.

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:56AM EDT
Quote

Want to know where the source of the attraction stems from, largely?

The ponies in the show are given so many human characteristics that bronies tend to joke about it (‘OMG they’re horses?‘, ’wait, since when did they have hooves?’, etc.).

All things considered, it isn’t too surprising or disturbing that people have some minor attraction to them. And since it’s the internet, minor attraction translates to…

Regardless, as Verbose and Opspe’s survey showed, the ‘ponysexual’ part of the fandom isn’t really that large, compared to the rest of the fandom as a whole. We can safely assume that a chunk of them don’t even clop, or don’t truly want to fuck a horse.

Unless they’re from 4chan.

Because everybody is horsefuckers there.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:54AM EDT
Quote

@Solaire

Please refer to my new rule.

I’m joking, and I must say that I find it fairly obvious why some bronies would feel that way towards the characters. One reason being that they may have charismatic personalities that would be illusive to their actual appearance, as technically, they are animals…and also cartoons.

Edit: I’ve just realized that that sentence wasn’t very concise to the point I was trying to make, never mind then.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 12:40PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:38PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Look, I’m sorry, but bronies pissed me off BEFORE Whirled. So…
It also happens on youtube.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.
>This is why I hate ponies
>This is why I hate bronies.
>This is why I hate ANYTHING pony-related.

Jul 17, 2012 at 04:54PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

Look, I’m sorry, but bronies pissed me off BEFORE Whirled. So…
It also happens on youtube.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.
>This is why I hate ponies
>This is why I hate bronies.
>This is why I hate ANYTHING pony-related.

And you’re blaming the ENTIRE fandom for this? When not everyone does this, when it’s just a vocal minority?

And as always, the most vocal of the fandom will always be the worst or show off the worst of the fandom, but no, not every pony fan does this, the only reason you don’t see it is because well, we don’t do that.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:13PM EDT
Quote

@Shy Guy

Has it ever crossed your mind that I’m sorta of am a brony?

Anyways, like I said before, there are people who will pester about the show. But don’t hate the a bunch fans of because of the actions of another person! It’s just stupid. And besides, there are more annoying comments in youtube like “Thumbs Up” commments and “Fuk Justin Beiber”. You should just with whole MLP “spamming” you constantly see. Just suck it up and shut up.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:13PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

@Shy Guy

Has it ever crossed your mind that I’m sorta of am a brony?

Anyways, like I said before, there are people who will pester about the show. But don’t hate the a bunch fans of because of the actions of another person! It’s just stupid. And besides, there are more annoying comments in youtube like “Thumbs Up” commments and “Fuk Justin Beiber”. You should just with whole MLP “spamming” you constantly see. Just suck it up and shut up.

Oh God, the thumbs comments, if there is something that people should despise, it’s the thumbs comments.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT
Quote

@Sketch

Agreed.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:17PM EDT

Spores McMineley wrote:

All the bronies I met on whirled hated me for not watching the show. Now that…

Is REDICULOUS.

All I’m saying is i’ve been attacked by many bronies, and that, is why i hate them.
Thank you.

The most logical reason that you don’t like bronies is
You say you have not seen the show
One or two bronies will tell you go watch it.
you will irrationally fight back.
Now you have the herd chasing you.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

Look, I’m sorry, but bronies pissed me off BEFORE Whirled. So…
It also happens on youtube.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.
>This is why I hate ponies
>This is why I hate bronies.
>This is why I hate ANYTHING pony-related.

>This is why it’s impossible to take your posts seriously.

Jul 17, 2012 at 06:24PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

Look, I’m sorry, but bronies pissed me off BEFORE Whirled. So…
It also happens on youtube.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.
>This is why I hate ponies
>This is why I hate bronies.
>This is why I hate ANYTHING pony-related.

And that’s why your arguments don’t make you look very intelligent.

Because you can’t seem to grasp that NOT ALL BRONIES ARE THE SAME. WE DO NOT AGREE ON EVERYTHING. AND WE CERTAINLY DON’T ALL SHARE THAT OPINION.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 07:18PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 06:48PM EDT
Quote

Spores McMineley wrote:

Look, I’m sorry, but bronies pissed me off BEFORE Whirled. So…
It also happens on youtube.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.
>This is why I hate ponies
>This is why I hate bronies.
>This is why I hate ANYTHING pony-related.

You know this could be applied to anything…

OMG THIZ GAME IZ DAH WORZTS!!!on!!1!!!
I ONLY PLAY NINTENDO GAMEZ HUR DUR

or recently a lot of beef against capcom.
for example on youtube comments
Annihirodaioh: Lol can’t you guys take a joke, and enjoy fat megaman?
Ono is the best game producer..

Then people start attacking me just because I agree with the unpopular side.
You don’t know what megamanz is!!!!!11ONE!!!!!111

I reply, oh yes I do.
This bad box art mega man was the first american box art for a mega man game.
Plus he fits the art style.

Doesn’t matter
I get attacked by Megaman Fanboys who can’t take a joke.

Does it mean I hate them
NO

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:02PM EDT
Quote

Shy Guy, you’re going to have to be really, really careful about what you say. If your argument isn’t very sound, then you’re going to have to acknowledge that. Natsuru isn’t really thrilled about some brony activity and tendencies on the site, but Natsuru acknowledges that it isn’t a completely rational stance. And we can respect that, in part because Natsuru was using respectful language.

And when you’re voicing (what seems to be) a unpopular side of an issue, you have to pick and choose your language really, really well.
 
As for everyone else, I think enough people have addressed Shy Guy. He should get why his argument isn’t very good in the way that he’s phrased it. There’s no need to name call and team up on a guy on what is a more serious thread. It’s only going to stir up bad feelings unnecessarily.

Fucking idiot

Not cool, Takashi.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:02PM EDT
Quote

Adam DeLand wrote:

@RF: I’m not being hypocritcal because unlike the bronies, Pokemon fans don’t think it’s the only thing that matters. I have been showing interest in far more other things than Pokemon here on this site. If I did think that Pokemon was the only thing that matters, then I would’ve used music from the games and anime in the favorite songs thread.

I’m pretty disappointed with what this thread turned in to. Negative nine karma? That’s ridiculous, and an affront to good etiquette. Don’t downvote because you disagree. Downvote trolls, spammers, and people who are being complete jerks (Adam is, although still pretty annoying, not being a total jerk).

Additionally, TEN upvotes for Twins because he agrees with me? He wrote a short response that really didn’t add much to the discussion.

The little + and – buttons are for quality, not agreement.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:17PM EDT
Quote

Verbose, he has made multiple posts so far, each one even worse than the last. They are all guilty of massive generalising, a huge lack of logic in arguments, and their tone shows he’s obviously way too ignorant to take the other side’s arguments into consideration. Even with his age 10, he should be able to take some reasoning with everything that happens on the web and know that not all comments and posts you find online are to be taken serious. Each time he has been given legit answers and good arguments to his posts. Yet instead of actually listening to them, he’s too ignorant and sticks to his own logic. There’s no point in agreeing with false facts, yet he still tries.

If he wants us to take take his posts seriously and actually have a normal discussion about the subject, then he should do some effort himself as well. A good discussion requires cooperation from both sides. If he’s not capable of doing that, then he should not take part in the discussion, but instead leave and close the door behind him, taken he knows how to handle the doorknob. Intelligent life doesn’t need him.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 07:37PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 07:24PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

So you mean to tell me,
>That i’m a fucking idiot?
This is why we can’t have good things.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:29PM EDT
Quote

If I had to make Shy Guy’s arguments better… (( By no means I agree with all of them.))


I personally do not like how some bronies try to force the show on other people who have not “joined the herd”. I find it distasteful. I am sorry if I do not share your point of view, but I simply cannot say that I like MLP. Then when I say I have not watched the show, A couple of bronies approach me and say “Go watch a few episodes”. I tell them no. But more come and keep edging me on. I lose my temper, I start saying things. I said those things out of anger. More so it isn’t the actual show I don’t like, but more of the bronies that force the “Equestrian” Culture on to people.
This has resulted into my loath against MLP. I thank you the Pony Pushers. You have created a Pony Hater out of me.

- Loath, Shy Guy


Hate the bronies not the ponies, if the ponies them selves have not attacked you.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

ANN (Impersonating Shy Guy) wrote:

I personally do not like how some bronies try to force the show on other people who have not “joined the herd”. I find it distasteful. I am sorry if I do not share your point of view, but I simply cannot say that I like MLP. Then when I say I have not watched the show, A couple of bronies approach me and say “Go watch a few episodes”. I tell them no. But more come and keep edging me on. I lose my temper, I start saying things. I said those things out of anger. More so it isn’t the actual show I don’t like, but more of the bronies that force the “Equestrian” Culture on to people.

Those type of bronies aren’t really liked even within the brony fandom. Bronies are aware that their “forcing” is giving a bad name to the fandom. But this hasn’t stopped a small group from still trying. Lucky for both you and us, most bronies simply try to avoid that type of behavior and keep their ponies within the designated areas.

But I still have to say that you can’t blame bronies for asking you to watch a few episodes before creating a final opinion. It’s easier to back up your arguments when you have experienced it first hand, instead of running on speculations presented by others. When a person says “I tried a few episodes, but it simply didn’t appeal to me. I just dislike MLP, I’m ok with that. He tried, but without success, end of story. If they however say “I hate MLP and will never watch an episode”, it’s a lot harder for me to take their opinion serious, as they have no direct sources to back up their opinion.

Not to forget you’re getting your information from Youtube comments. There is no worse place.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 08:06PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 07:50PM EDT
Quote

Bronies = Grown Men who watch Little Girl Cartoon = Blatant Homosexuality = Yaoi = My Fangirl Sensory Organ being pleased.

Yup, you guys make the cut. xD
--

All jokes aside @the OP:
~I arrived after the website became a horse ranch, so I don’t know. But keeping the horses in that barn all day will make them restless I tell you, you better watch out!!
~Yes, it is a subculture. I can’t see how it isn’t…
~The show is a rare gem amongst American cartoons these days (I haven’t seriously watched a full episode yet, let alone 5 minutes, but I can still tell), and it is perfectly natural that a fanbase grew out of it, however odd it may be.


And of course it made thousands of people come out of the closet WITCH I LO- shot

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 08:04PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 08:04PM EDT
Perfect post, right here.

Grazie. If I may return the compliment,

People will fap to anything, but they wouldn’t put their dick anywhere near it.

I LOL’d quite heartily. Funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
“OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.

Yes this is annoying. As a brony, I find it irritating that some people find it necessary to bring ponies into every conversation, regardless of how unrelated they may be. But as numerous users have already stated, this is the vocal minority. It doesn’t matter what fandom an individual is a part of; there will always be some cool people, and some ignorant tools. Please refrain from judging us all based on the actions of a few. We’re not all ignorant assholes.

Furthermore, if something like this DOES annoy you, don’t fight back. Just ignore it. Starting an argument on the internet is never a good idea. It only serves to further propagate the bothersome behavior you’re trying to avoid.

Russian Fedora said:

I’m pretty disappointed with what this thread turned in to. Negative nine karma? That’s ridiculous, and an affront to good etiquette. Don’t downvote because you disagree. Downvote trolls, spammers, and people who are being complete jerks (Adam is, although still pretty annoying, not being a total jerk).
Additionally, TEN upvotes for Twins because he agrees with me? He wrote a short response that really didn’t add much to the discussion.

>Twins
>he

HA.

I am also surprised that Twins got so much karma simply for making a statement of agreement. As for Adam, I can’t say I agree with you. Yes, downvoting is for trolls, spammers, and jerks, but DeLand has made the same ignorant, slanderous statements time and time again. This isn’t the first time he’s done so, and every time I’ve seen him argue these points, I’ve seen people post reasonable, considerately worded responses asking him to be more reasonable. Downvoting Adam because I disagree with him would be stupid. But he’s being a hypocrite, condescending, and he knows better than to act like this because we’ve gone through this exact same dilemma with him before.

I haven’t negged Shy Guy once yet. I don’t recognize him, so as far as I know, we haven’t already discussed this with him before, so I’m willing to be a bit more lenient. Also, as ANN HIRO’s impersonation shows, his arguments actually have some legitimacy to them; they’re just poorly worded. There’s nothing wrong with being annoyed by pushy people. He just needs to realize we aren’t all asshats. But some of these counterpoints seem more counterproductive in helping him realize that. I’m disappointed that people aren’t trying to be a bit more civil towards him. Calling him a “fucking idiot” and stating that “Intelligent life doesn’t need him” are no better arguments than the ones he is making. Direct personal attacks are no better than generalizing.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 08:06PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

I don’t quite understand why you used the term “doctrine” in the title. It’s not really relevant.

That threw me off, too. My first thought was, “Wait, we have rules now?”

Jul 17, 2012 at 09:53PM EDT
Quote

@RF

TEN upvotes for Twins because he agrees with me?

Twins because he agrees?

because he

he

But yea, I’ve only been upvoting constructive and well written posts, not just posts I agree with. I advise others to do the same.

I didn’t downvote anyone here but to be fair, all of posts getting negged are not exactly well written quality posts.


And I think you guys can lay off Shy Guy, I think he gets the point. Frankly all I really have to say to him is “Life is full of assholes, Deal with it”.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:43PM EDT
Quote

Jackal Lantern wrote:

Perfect post, right here.

Grazie. If I may return the compliment,

People will fap to anything, but they wouldn’t put their dick anywhere near it.

I LOL’d quite heartily. Funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

A brony either says:
“needs moar ponies”
or
“OMG THIS SHOW IZ DUH WURZT!!!11”
^ and that usually happens with something NOT pony-related. It ruins the fun.

Yes this is annoying. As a brony, I find it irritating that some people find it necessary to bring ponies into every conversation, regardless of how unrelated they may be. But as numerous users have already stated, this is the vocal minority. It doesn’t matter what fandom an individual is a part of; there will always be some cool people, and some ignorant tools. Please refrain from judging us all based on the actions of a few. We’re not all ignorant assholes.

Furthermore, if something like this DOES annoy you, don’t fight back. Just ignore it. Starting an argument on the internet is never a good idea. It only serves to further propagate the bothersome behavior you’re trying to avoid.

Russian Fedora said:

I’m pretty disappointed with what this thread turned in to. Negative nine karma? That’s ridiculous, and an affront to good etiquette. Don’t downvote because you disagree. Downvote trolls, spammers, and people who are being complete jerks (Adam is, although still pretty annoying, not being a total jerk).
Additionally, TEN upvotes for Twins because he agrees with me? He wrote a short response that really didn’t add much to the discussion.

>Twins
>he

HA.

I am also surprised that Twins got so much karma simply for making a statement of agreement. As for Adam, I can’t say I agree with you. Yes, downvoting is for trolls, spammers, and jerks, but DeLand has made the same ignorant, slanderous statements time and time again. This isn’t the first time he’s done so, and every time I’ve seen him argue these points, I’ve seen people post reasonable, considerately worded responses asking him to be more reasonable. Downvoting Adam because I disagree with him would be stupid. But he’s being a hypocrite, condescending, and he knows better than to act like this because we’ve gone through this exact same dilemma with him before.

I haven’t negged Shy Guy once yet. I don’t recognize him, so as far as I know, we haven’t already discussed this with him before, so I’m willing to be a bit more lenient. Also, as ANN HIRO’s impersonation shows, his arguments actually have some legitimacy to them; they’re just poorly worded. There’s nothing wrong with being annoyed by pushy people. He just needs to realize we aren’t all asshats. But some of these counterpoints seem more counterproductive in helping him realize that. I’m disappointed that people aren’t trying to be a bit more civil towards him. Calling him a “fucking idiot” and stating that “Intelligent life doesn’t need him” are no better arguments than the ones he is making. Direct personal attacks are no better than generalizing.

Yeah, I see your point, but I think it should still be considered a bit of a gray area. In my opinion, when someone is stating their opinion in a jerkish way, it’s better to reply than to vote.

@Twins being a woman

I really never considered her gender much, so I just went with a “he”.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:26AM EDT
Quote

Hey, one more thing:

It seems more likely on the internet that you will find a brony hater who gives the impression that he is stupid, rather than one who can counter every point a brony would make in an argument.

It also seems that most bronies are masters of arguing and have the ability to be noticeably logical.

Is this the influence of the show, or the brony haters being retarded enough to hate for no reason?


(Oh and this, why not?)

(Also, this is just my observation, of course.)

(Also this.)

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 03:37AM EDT
Jul 18, 2012 at 03:33AM EDT
Quote

MLP is the kudzu vine of the internet: not inherently annoying, only so because it gets everywhere.

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 04:14AM EDT
Jul 18, 2012 at 03:50AM EDT
Quote
In my opinion, when someone is stating their opinion in a jerkish way, it’s better to reply than to vote.

I definitely agree with this. Still, Adam had at least three replies in this thread before he even started getting downvotes. And as I stated prior, this isn’t the first thread that he’s stated these ill-reasoned viewpoints, so he should already know better. I’ve seen his posts in other threads, and I know he can be productive contributor to a thread, so it’s distressing to see that he would so blindly let his distaste for MLP cause him to behave in such a way.

Still, the responses to Shy Guy’s posts were less civil than those to Adam, and (as far as I know,) nobody has tried to post reasonable responses to him before. Users responded to Thomas Nair’s initial hostility with more hostility, and we all know how THAT turned out. I’ve talked to Thomas before when ponies weren’t the subject, and he can be a reasonable guy capable of carrying on interesting conversation without being confrontational due to what fandom you may belong to. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen him make any remarks against bronies in a while. Just sayin’ guys, maybe if we treat this guy with a little respect, we could maybe skip some stupid brony/anti-brony flamewars down the line.

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:24AM EDT
Quote

Jackal Lantern wrote:

In my opinion, when someone is stating their opinion in a jerkish way, it’s better to reply than to vote.

I definitely agree with this. Still, Adam had at least three replies in this thread before he even started getting downvotes. And as I stated prior, this isn’t the first thread that he’s stated these ill-reasoned viewpoints, so he should already know better. I’ve seen his posts in other threads, and I know he can be productive contributor to a thread, so it’s distressing to see that he would so blindly let his distaste for MLP cause him to behave in such a way.

Still, the responses to Shy Guy’s posts were less civil than those to Adam, and (as far as I know,) nobody has tried to post reasonable responses to him before. Users responded to Thomas Nair’s initial hostility with more hostility, and we all know how THAT turned out. I’ve talked to Thomas before when ponies weren’t the subject, and he can be a reasonable guy capable of carrying on interesting conversation without being confrontational due to what fandom you may belong to. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen him make any remarks against bronies in a while. Just sayin’ guys, maybe if we treat this guy with a little respect, we could maybe skip some stupid brony/anti-brony flamewars down the line.

I’ve seen Shy Guy post elsewhere on the site and he has also visited the IRC a few times while I was present there. Not to forget his age 10. I have pointed out the lack of logic in his arguments a few times already elsewhere, but each time I got dumb responses or he claims that I’m “butthurt”, “raging” and the like. Wallposts so far he has all removed and I don’t have logs of the IRC. He also posted a death wish list on his profile wall which only contained Nightmare Moon (no idea what the reason was, but I guess the pony part does take up most of it), but we have requested him to remove that list.

I can handle some lack in logic, every discussion has those. But his constant ignorance does get on my nerves a few times.

Same way why I have less trouble with Adam. Besides his posts in this thread, I hardly ever see him talking negatively about ponies. I know he did it, but most of it was before my time or when I was not around. Therefore I have no real reason to dislike him for it. But in the short time Shy Guy has been here, he constantly feels the need to point it out for now reason.

So I apologise that I was a bit harsh towards him, but I hope you can see the reason in some way.

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 10:31AM EDT
Jul 18, 2012 at 10:25AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!