Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Movies General

Last posted Aug 21, 2012 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Aug 19, 2012 at 09:12PM EDT
16 posts from 9 users

You guys all love movies, right? I'm a pretty big fan myself, and I visit the theaters pretty often. What are you guys' favorite movies? Discuss a movie that you've seen recently, or one that you remember from years ago. Talk about what genres you like, or which actor you always love to see perform. Really, you can just talk about anything having to do with movies!

Well, I just saw this one today.

The best movie of the year.

Seriously, I know it won't win any Oscars, but it had phenomenal politico-philosophical overtones, and I think it might be worthy of at least a nomination, especially for Christopher Nolan.

Last edited Aug 19, 2012 at 10:10PM EDT

I don't think I've ever seen Jaws all the way through, it was never all that interesting to me…

@Fridge
Yeah, that movie was pretty frikin boss. I think I am just required by nature to love any movie Anne Hathaway is in

Finally, a General thread about movies. I'm hopping on.

Now then, totally awesome movie I watched yesterday below:

I'm serious, in my opinion one of the best comedies ever. Maybe just because I'm a sucker for slapstick and visual gags, but I love it.

Fridge wrote:

Well, I just saw this one today.

The best movie of the year.

Seriously, I know it won't win any Oscars, but it had phenomenal politico-philosophical overtones, and I think it might be worthy of at least a nomination, especially for Christopher Nolan.

Great movie, but I think it just might be Oscar-worthy. I dunno though--I guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?

Trollkeeper wrote:

Finally, a General thread about movies. I'm hopping on.

Now then, totally awesome movie I watched yesterday below:

I'm serious, in my opinion one of the best comedies ever. Maybe just because I'm a sucker for slapstick and visual gags, but I love it.

I have never heard of that movie before, but now I'm curious.

Oh yeah, how rude of me, I never mentioned what my favorite movie is. My favorite is definitely Donnie Darko

Which is funny, cus I usually hate horror movies. But this one is so interesting and I'm a huge sucker for ambiguity.

It's kind of a love it or hate it movie though, a lot of people think it's stupid while others think it's a masterpiece.

Every once and awhile I watch Saving Private Ryan, any of the Star Wars films or The Condemned agian. I recently got The Expendables on dvd and I've been meaning to check it out. Whenever I see any Marx Brothers, Three Stooges or Naked Gun movies on I generally drop what I'm doing and watch them, too.

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 02:50PM EDT

I can't sit through most movies, unfortunately, so I haven't seen a lot.

My favorite movie for a long time, despite it being a straight-to-VHS anime series at first, was Sonic The Hedgehog the Movie. It's so rare that the DVD usually runs upwards of 50 bucks. And yet, I got a copy of it on VHS. I watched it so much the tape broke. I'm just glad my parents picked it up for 20 bucks on DVD when they had the chance. I really need to watch it again. It wouldn't even be that good if I had seen it for the first time now as a teen, but because I grew up with it, it kind of holds this special place in my heart.

Which reminds me of a Professor Layton movie I had seen about half a year ago, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. That movie was okay, but it's not even a classic to me. But it has so many similar qualities to StH:tM, ridiculous plot twists and whatnot with a sort of animated charm. It's special because not a lot of people have probably seen it. But that's really where my love for it ends. Worth a watch if you ever get a chance, but don't go out of your way to watch it, like Sonic above. I imagine it's only awesome if you're a kid and this is one of your first.

Good anime movies from me, you ask?
Well, I've always been a fan of Lupin the 3rd, Castle of Cagliostro is a must watch. He's funny, but just dignified enough for you to really like him. As generic as this sounds, because everyone has watched these, Studio Ghibli produces good anime, and is also one of my inspirations. They can take the most nonsensical things and turn them into something I find more entertaining than, say, a generic war movie. One suggestion, however: Don't watch Ponyo. It's a good kids movie, but far too sugary for me.

As for regular movies, I've only really sat through comedies. CLUE is really funny, and one of my family's classics. Even though most of it is slapstick, that's the part that's funny about it. It's universal comedy, unless you hate slapstick, in which case you have no soul in my book.

I haven't seen a lot other than those. I keep promising myself to watch more, but it never turns into anything. Next summer I should write down a list and just get to it.

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 03:00PM EDT

I'm not exactly very big on action movies, but I enjoy them every now and then. The Dark Knight Rises was, like Fridge Logic said, the best movie of the year so far. The Amazing Spider-man was OK as well.

To say Quentin Tarantino is the one of the most masterful directors of all time would be a complete understatement. Tarantino's work- Reservoir Dogs in particular, is pure exhilaration from beginning to end. Not only does Tarantino have a natural born ability to combine both style and substance, but also damn good sound direction as well as great casting.
Take for example the dialogue in "The Jimmy Situation" in Pulp Fiction, which is absolutely masterful writing.

Anyway, in case you haven't picked it up yet, almost everything Tarantino touches (or at least writes) is pure fucking gold.
tl;dr- Watch Reservoir Dogs on Netflix, as it is arguably the best heist film ever made.
In case you still aren't convinced-

SexyThang wrote:

To say Quentin Tarantino is the one of the most masterful directors of all time would be a complete understatement. Tarantino's work- Reservoir Dogs in particular, is pure exhilaration from beginning to end. Not only does Tarantino have a natural born ability to combine both style and substance, but also damn good sound direction as well as great casting.
Take for example the dialogue in "The Jimmy Situation" in Pulp Fiction, which is absolutely masterful writing.

Anyway, in case you haven't picked it up yet, almost everything Tarantino touches (or at least writes) is pure fucking gold.
tl;dr- Watch Reservoir Dogs on Netflix, as it is arguably the best heist film ever made.
In case you still aren't convinced-

Above is only half of one of the most intense scenes in film history. Few directors are able to convey fear as Tarantino can because he does it so subtly you often fail to notice the terror of the situation.
He's been in the business for only 18 or so years and he's already being studied in major film schools. Look at this fucking guy…

GOOD GOD WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING ON KYM GO WATCH RESERVOIR DOGS NOW!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!