Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

What the actual fuck hollywood

Last posted Sep 17, 2012 at 03:35PM EDT. Added Sep 10, 2012 at 11:12PM EDT
21 posts from 18 users

If this thread is to survive, it should probably be in JFF. Then again, what the heck do I know.

Anyway, I'd heard about this already. Is it really THAT surprising? I mean, as long as the movies keep making money, there's no reason to stop making them, from a business standpoint. And you can't really blame them for having such high expectations. Well, okay, maybe they're REALLY overshooting it, but still.

James Cameron is aiming to create Avatar 2 & 3 so I guess he is using this announcement to clearly state his intentions and to set a mandate for his release scheduled. Either that or all of the money is getting to his head.

Twilitlord wrote:

Requesting a title censor.

But yes. What the actual fuck, Cameron.

Yeah, there's no need for a title censor, IMO. This is the forums not the front page. But, it would be nice for thread creators not to use words like that in the title. Not that it's required.

madcat wrote:

Yeah, there's no need for a title censor, IMO. This is the forums not the front page. But, it would be nice for thread creators not to use words like that in the title. Not that it's required.

Alright, I'll try not to use obsceneties in my thread titles in the future.

a fourth movie?

The first Avatar was a pretty big deal – I was kinda surprised back when they said there would only be 2 more.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 11:33PM EDT

He hasn't even shot the next two yet. He plans to film 2 and 3 back-to-back, then do 4. But what if people realize that the story isn't really all that great by the second one? He really shouldn't be planning ahead of himself.

You know, I'd actually enjoy movies that expand on the plot of Avatar. I've been reading a book recently about the science behind Avatar, and it certainly gives you more of an idea about the whole universe Cameron created.

Avatar, in my opinion, has a rich enough storyline that a few more movies can be created, although I believe that four may be pushing it. One movie that details the events after Avatar, and another that details the events before it would most likely be enough, unless Cameron has some pretty good ideas for a third.

"I haven't really put pen to paper on it, but basically it goes back to the early expeditions of Pandora, and kind of what went wrong with the humans and the Na'vi and what that was like to be an explorer and living in that world…"

To me, that sounds really quite intriguing.

EDIT: But I'd also like to say that there are certainly holes in the story: "Unobtanium" as a serious name wasn't a very good idea. Also, they definitely should've shown more of the RDA's downfall, because how they set it up makes their sudden retreat pretty un-convincing.

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 12:23AM EDT

I'm not so sure about a sequel. Things were pretty much wrapped up in the first one. They'd have to create a whole new villain/adversary, and that might not fit in with the Avatar universe. A prequel might be pretty good though, maybe starting with the discovery of Pandora and ending with Humans becoming enemies of the blue people (I forget their name). Also going into the main protagonist's back story, I.E. with his brother, would be quite enlightening.

OMG IT IS GUD MOVIE XUZ SPIECAL XFECKS!!1!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it was reverse rolls halo and seriously ripped every fucking vehicle out of halo wars and tried to sue halo for being out and in concept way before it and sold because it looked appealing to the eye. It would frankly most probably die out in the second movie unless they come up and add another new special effect or something completely unrelated to the actual shitty story.

Rant over.

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

After 3 movies, mostly, they run out of ideas and just start throwing shit at us and afterall, just one Avatar was bad enough

Avatar 4: A bunch of Floating Mountains and shit

Quantum Meme wrote:

What RF said, pretty much.

Four movies? Bit ambitious…

And extremly optimist.
He might be right, but he's actualy between couragious and insane.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!