Forums / Discussion / General

233,035 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Star Trek General

Last posted Sep 21, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT. Added Sep 19, 2012 at 05:45PM EDT
22 posts from 9 users

Twilitlord wrote:

Just in case this doesn't take off, also related:

I hope it does though. I like Star Trek…

So do I. Trekkies need to rise to the call now that there's a thread made for them.

Trek Thread! AWWW YEAAAA

Now we need a discussion topic or else this gets locked. Quickly people, think!

We can

• Discuss the impact of Trek on memes
  • Discuss the spread of Picard macro's
  • Share favorite crossovers and fanfics
  • Discuss what Romulan Ale tastes like
  • Snort cocaine
  • Speak in Klingon
  • Discuss our favorite episodes from any series

What else?

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 10:18PM EDT

AND DISCUSSION WAS BEGUN.

So what's your favorite series overall? And if you want to count TOS movies as a separate series, that's fine with me. Personally, I count them as part of TOS, but if they were counted as a seperate series they would probably be above the original TV shows.

My list more or less goes TNG, VOY, a tie between TOS and DS9, then ENT. I just like the character balance in TNG the best, and the plots were great. Helps that pretty much everything Star Trek that came after was directly influenced by TNG, so it's more or less the starting point for all Trek afterwards. Even the NX-01 was inspired by it – in case you didn't know, it was based on the Akira class, which was introduced in Next Generation.

EDIT: I got your back, ninja BSOD.

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 10:20PM EDT

I practically grew up on Star Trek I – VI. We had the collector's edition box set. We also owned First Contact, my favorite of them all, and Insurrection, my most hated. I saw Nemesis once, and I did enjoy it. I have never seen Generations. As for the show, I have never had cable TV so only a few episodes were ever seen, but from what I do know Picard is supposedly not the same captain on TV as he is on video.

I am personally obsessed with the Borg. They are just about my favorite sci-fi race, tying in close with the Zerg. I could never make up my mind. I own Elite Force Voyager for the PC, and play it even to this day, if not entirely for the fun of exploring a Borg cube. One of the best games I have ever owned, and not just for the Borg. It has a really neat story line, well polished gameplay, creative environments, and awesome weapons. If you are ever in a certain bay I suggest you check it out.

Star Trek thread?

Highly relevant to my interests.

To be honest, my favorite series is The Next Generation. I've seen several of the older episodes (my favorite is "Dagger of the Mind") but I really grew up with TNG, or at least the reruns, and I've seen every single episode multiple times and would do it all again.

I also watched most of Voyager last summer. I enjoyed it, although it had some truly ludicrous plots. Never seen Deep Space Nine. Never want to see Enterprise again.

Can't wait for the next movie. I really hope they ditch the common sci-fi plots in favor of something more socially relevant; I think that's more in the spirit of Classic Trek.

I practically grew up on Star Trek I – VI. We had the collector’s edition box set

Are you myself from an alternate timeline, posting here through a dimensional tear?

I also grew up on Trek. I had the early films 1 – 5 box set on VHS and I loved watching them as a Kid, especially The Wrath of Khan

So far I've seen pretty much every other major Trek Film right up to the prequel of Kirks Career

And to echo other here, I highly favored TNG myself, probably because that's the series I grew up watching in the 90's. Although my Dad would have much preferred the first original series that appeared during his day

I didn't get much into DS9. For some reason it did not appeal to me nearly as much. The lack of a mobile Starfleet cruiser at the center of the plot may be responsible for that

I really liked Voyager. Tim Russ for the win.

I also got into DS9 and Enterprise, although I think TOS is the best. Man, those were some good times, back when I was still watching the whole series for the first time.

Count Lionel wrote:

@BSOD: It looked like this, right?

And it was at an awkward slant, making you think that a rather heavy person sat on it at one point, ruining the box itself.

I believe I watched all the movies in order, starting with Wrath of Khan, ending with Nemesis (bluh) and then going back to The Motion Picture when I finally found it at the library.

To be honest, I thought The Final Frontier (the Shatner-directed one) was incredibly stupid. "What would God want with a starship?" Feh.

I was just watching the episode Space Seed, the prequel to Wrath of Khan. Khan has taken over the ship, and has imprisoned Kirk on the bridge. He declares that he is willing to negotiate, despite having the upper hand by a large margin. Kirk's first response? FLOOD ALL DECKS WITH NEUROTOXIN.

I found that to be hilarious. If he did succeed in that and incapacitate the entire crew, Kirk would die, as life support to the bridge had already been cut off. Kirk knew that. Without Kirk alive to restore normal atmospheric levels to the rest of the ship, the rest of the crew would die too (even if the gas he spoke of was not lethal in the first place).

If you consider the fact that Khan ruled a fourth of the planet's surface and was essentially the Hitler of the 1990's, then perhaps there is some merit to the captain's impulse decision. Still… very irrational.

Count Lionel wrote:

I was just watching the episode Space Seed, the prequel to Wrath of Khan. Khan has taken over the ship, and has imprisoned Kirk on the bridge. He declares that he is willing to negotiate, despite having the upper hand by a large margin. Kirk's first response? FLOOD ALL DECKS WITH NEUROTOXIN.

I found that to be hilarious. If he did succeed in that and incapacitate the entire crew, Kirk would die, as life support to the bridge had already been cut off. Kirk knew that. Without Kirk alive to restore normal atmospheric levels to the rest of the ship, the rest of the crew would die too (even if the gas he spoke of was not lethal in the first place).

If you consider the fact that Khan ruled a fourth of the planet's surface and was essentially the Hitler of the 1990's, then perhaps there is some merit to the captain's impulse decision. Still… very irrational.

I thought Saddam Hussein was the Hitler of the 1990s.

Oh God….

SADDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!

Last edited Sep 20, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT

Count Lionel wrote:

Dude, Kirk didn't think about things. He had a Spock for that.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!