Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Thoughts on Nintendo's Wii U Console

Last posted Jan 07, 2013 at 02:51PM EST. Added Dec 23, 2012 at 11:59PM EST
117 posts from 29 users

I have one last thing to say before you pass judgement, but it hasn't persuaded you yet so it probably won't now. It's a new console. The launch line-up for the Wii U is admittedly one of Ninty's weakest. I'd wait until some better games come out for it. Oh and by the by, a lot of fans are speculating that Retro's new game is either Star Fox or F-Zero, so don't give up hope.

just remember that the N64 only had 2 launch games in the USA (pilotwings and mario 64) but turned out to have some of the most memorable games of all time

and be glad you have scribblenauts, everyone in the EU has to wait until February 8 to buy it

Twenty-One wrote:

I have one last thing to say before you pass judgement, but it hasn't persuaded you yet so it probably won't now. It's a new console. The launch line-up for the Wii U is admittedly one of Ninty's weakest. I'd wait until some better games come out for it. Oh and by the by, a lot of fans are speculating that Retro's new game is either Star Fox or F-Zero, so don't give up hope.

I think it was actually a decent line up as far as launch lineups go. Not the best, but with Scribblenauts, ZombiU, NSMBU as well as being able to get ports immediatly like NBA2K13 and FIFA13 is a plus as well.

That being said, I'm waiting for Pikmin 3 to release before picking up the console.

@ Random: I'll have to wait and see. If Retro's working on either (though I'd definitely prefer F-Zero), I'll have to get it. Still, that light at the end of the tunnel is fading fast. I don't know how long I'm going to hold out.

@ Silver: Scribblenauts just isn't my kind of game.

@ Phoenix: Neither is ZombiU, and I despise the Mario franchise. And as far as sports games go, well, I guess I could hope for an ice hockey title; but I'd prefer an off road racer like DiRT, or especially an open world one like Smuggler's Run or MX vs. ATV.

And for anyone wondering why I happen to have Nintendo Land, I guess I should have clarified this one sooner. I have a black console.

Twenty-One wrote:

No, that would go to Kid Icarus (before Uprising). If Nintendo did not care about these lesser known series such as Kid Icarus, why would they put money into a new one? A Nintendo IP is still a Nintendo IP, and we all know how much they love them, even if they have varying levels of popularity.

That's only because Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Smash Bros, wanted so hard for there to be another Kid Icarus game (because Kid Icarus was his favourite as a child) and so he put it on the table himself. It wasn't Nintendo's idea.

Katie C. wrote:

That's only because Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Smash Bros, wanted so hard for there to be another Kid Icarus game (because Kid Icarus was his favourite as a child) and so he put it on the table himself. It wasn't Nintendo's idea.

And if Nintendo didn't think there was any money or use in making a new Kid Icarus. They would have never bankrolled the project.

Sakurai didn't go in there and was like "Hey guys, you owe me for Super Smash Brothers so I want to make a new Kid Icarus because I feel like it."

If Nintendo didn't want a Kid Icarus title made, there's nothing Sakurai could do to get it made.

Nintendo often uses Smash Bros to gauge interest in characters. When Marth and Roy were popular in SSBM, Nintendo released the first English Fire Emblem.

When Pit made a good appearance in SSBB, Nintendo felt it had revived the character sufficiently to warrant a new game.

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 09:12AM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

And if Nintendo didn't think there was any money or use in making a new Kid Icarus. They would have never bankrolled the project.

Sakurai didn't go in there and was like "Hey guys, you owe me for Super Smash Brothers so I want to make a new Kid Icarus because I feel like it."

If Nintendo didn't want a Kid Icarus title made, there's nothing Sakurai could do to get it made.

Nintendo often uses Smash Bros to gauge interest in characters. When Marth and Roy were popular in SSBM, Nintendo released the first English Fire Emblem.

When Pit made a good appearance in SSBB, Nintendo felt it had revived the character sufficiently to warrant a new game.

Yeah, but this creates a problem for me in that Captain Falcon in SSB is so far removed from what he's like in F-Zero, and F-Zero is so unknown, that there's no way to accurately judge how receptive people would be to a new F-Zero based on SSB.

So even if a new SSB were made and Falcon was still wildly popular, how could they justify a new F-Zero? Hell, more people know Falcon from SSB than they do from F-Zero.

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 09:32AM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

And Marth and Roy from Fire Emblem are like they are in their games? How is Super Smash Brothers anything like Fire Emblem?

I guess you have a point there.

Still, it just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe base it off the popularity of any F-Zero-based levels in the SSB games, not the characters.

I'd totally play an F-Zero game that's half racing, half on foot. Can you imagine the unbridled glory of playing as Captain Falcon, punching through walls and sprinting after bad guys to collect bounties? There could be some sort of request board for bounties. Some would be races, some would be fought and hunted on foot, some high rank ones could be a little of both.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I guess you have a point there.

Still, it just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe base it off the popularity of any F-Zero-based levels in the SSB games, not the characters.

Here's another thing about F-Zero that isn't necessarily true about Fire Emblem: F-Zero is alienatingly difficult for some players. F-Zero GX is the hardest racing game ever made, that I know of. I remember Fire Emblem 7 being dumbed down to the extreme in order to accommodate American players. They'll likely think "F-Zero is too hard, Americans won't buy it, don't bother"

If I remember correctly, Roy's Fire Emblem game (Sword of Seals) hadn't even been released in Japan when SSBM was released. He was pretty much just an advertisement from the get-go…

Anyway, I'd just like to throw my thoughts of the Wii U out there. I preordered it the day I heard online that they were available for preorder (the people at the Gamestop didn't even know they were available yet!), so I got the deluxe set. So far I have really enjoyed it! I have New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendoland, and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. None of these games are really anything to rant and rave about (to me, anyway. Most of my favourite game were released before I could hold a controller), but they are a lot of fun to play and I definitely recommend them. I find that the Wii U truly shines when you have 5 people playing at once though. I mean, Nintendoland is a fairly simple Mario-Party-esque game, but when you have a roomful of people playing it at the same time it creates a really fun experience. I just got Sonic racing a couple weeks ago (dat feel when the Panzer Dragoon theme started playing, or when I unlocked Vyse…), but my friends and I have picked up on it quickly and it has proven to be quite worthwhile. Of course, now I just have to wait for some solid single player games. And the new Smash Bros.

My thoughts on the Wii U are generally positive. It's fun to play, and that's really when video game consoles are all about. One thing I find annoying is that it is always trying to connect to wireless internet, which I do not have. Oh, and this is my biggest issue with it, the Wii U is the first console that I simply can't play on my old tube TV in my room. Yes, I can hook it up, but it just doesn't look right. It really wasn't meant to be played in 4:3, unlike even the Wii before it. I guess times are a-changin'… faster than I am, unfortunately.

Commodore 64 wrote:

If I remember correctly, Roy's Fire Emblem game (Sword of Seals) hadn't even been released in Japan when SSBM was released. He was pretty much just an advertisement from the get-go…

Anyway, I'd just like to throw my thoughts of the Wii U out there. I preordered it the day I heard online that they were available for preorder (the people at the Gamestop didn't even know they were available yet!), so I got the deluxe set. So far I have really enjoyed it! I have New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendoland, and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. None of these games are really anything to rant and rave about (to me, anyway. Most of my favourite game were released before I could hold a controller), but they are a lot of fun to play and I definitely recommend them. I find that the Wii U truly shines when you have 5 people playing at once though. I mean, Nintendoland is a fairly simple Mario-Party-esque game, but when you have a roomful of people playing it at the same time it creates a really fun experience. I just got Sonic racing a couple weeks ago (dat feel when the Panzer Dragoon theme started playing, or when I unlocked Vyse…), but my friends and I have picked up on it quickly and it has proven to be quite worthwhile. Of course, now I just have to wait for some solid single player games. And the new Smash Bros.

My thoughts on the Wii U are generally positive. It's fun to play, and that's really when video game consoles are all about. One thing I find annoying is that it is always trying to connect to wireless internet, which I do not have. Oh, and this is my biggest issue with it, the Wii U is the first console that I simply can't play on my old tube TV in my room. Yes, I can hook it up, but it just doesn't look right. It really wasn't meant to be played in 4:3, unlike even the Wii before it. I guess times are a-changin'… faster than I am, unfortunately.

A misleading advertisement, because Roy is a terrible character in Sword of Seals.

Katie C. wrote:

A misleading advertisement, because Roy is a terrible character in Sword of Seals.

Hah, yes exactly! Sword of Seals is my favourite Fire Emblem game in the series, but that Roy… Still, I guess he is just one of the things that makes the game an enjoyable challenge.

@ Jack: Eh, no. Not unless that was its own standalone mode unto itself.

@ Katie: Maybe that's my point. I want a crotch crushingly difficult racing game again. Or maybe I just want a good futuristic racer again. Actually, I think I want both. I guess that's why I want a new F-Zero.

But mostly, I like the idea of a supersonic roller coaster. That's what F-Zero is supposed to be to me: speed and thrills, wild courses, insane racing machines, smashing through the sound barrier while rolling and twisting and diving. That's what I've always loved about F-Zero, and it's what I haven't seen in a racing game since 2003.

DarkErmac wrote:

Nair, have you ever heard of Jet Moto?

I think I've actually tried the first and third, but they were only ever made for PS1, I think.

Haven't heard anything about any potential new installments.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!