Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

/lgbt/

Last posted Apr 09, 2013 at 12:14AM EDT. Added Mar 18, 2013 at 04:36PM EDT
45 posts from 31 users

Alright, as an heterosexual (inb4yaoifanart) democratic 'murican, I can say two things:
1. I'm pretty sure this is a big goddamn experiment
2. Expect to see posts like the 4th one very often

lawl

I am guessing that the board will be overrun by tumbler users and most 4chan users will hate it. The main reason why is because the board does not have the environment to support dissidence (this is also a reason why I believe tumbler users will be drawn to this board) which will allow the content of the board to degrade over time. I do respect one's orientation but /lgbt/ is an outlier when compared to other boards and it will degrade for that reason.

Last edited Mar 18, 2013 at 05:32PM EDT

Around 1/3 posters on 4chan is gay anyway, based on statistics everyone quotes but nobody can find specific evidence for.

I found 4chan to be a highly LGBT friendly area. There's a ton of LGBT content on 4chan and everyone seems quite open about their lifestyle. But hey, if /mlp/ or /fur/ deserved to be boards…

A quick visit of the board reveals the trolls have moved in for their opening ceremonial shitting all over the place. But looking past all of that, I feel it can become a rather decent board that encompasses an entire series of subcultures. Glad they added it.

@Sneaky Bit
here is an image which has been well received by the 4chan community.

Larger version
The main point of 4chan is to argue until a logical consensus is reached or just reject reality of the topic. That is the first main problem with this board, it barely has the capacity to allow dissidence as I sated before. The second issue is that there are no discussion boards for heterosexuality (I mean a board which at least questions the reality of being heterosexual and heterosexual tendencies compared to other sexual orientations). I do agree with the notion that the board should be remade to accommodate for all sexual orientations and genders under a new board title "/gen/" or "/sexuality/". There is no easy way to fix the issue but all sides of an issue must be accounted for. At least by addressing all of the issues of it will improve the quality of the boards content and prevent it from degenerating into a into a homogenous board.

Last edited Mar 18, 2013 at 07:34PM EDT

@Tim the Enchanter:
Again, how is the lack of dissenting opinion on this board a bad thing? The board was made for lgbt people to discuss things that affect them. There is literally very little reason for anyone who is straight or cisgendered to pipe in. In all honesty, those are the only two groups that do not fall under the umbrella of "lgbt". How is this a bad thing? lgbt doesn't concern straight people, so why would straight people post in that board other than to be a "good ally"? It's similar to why people who aren't interested in fitness don't post in /fit/ or people who have a strong anime bias typically don't post in /co/.

>2013
>expecting anything else

In all seriousness though, I think the trolls and the people who actually want to have serious discussion will be able to coexist to a degree. Isn't that the case with most of the other //s?

@Sneaky
With dissidence arguments ensue, the main point of most 4chan boards is to argue and express your opinion whether it is bad or not. I have been to /lgbt/ and there are straight users who are asking legitimate questions to these users. I came across an interesting question purposed by a straight user questioning if gay pride parades are serving their purpose. A homosexual user replied that they no longer raise awareness of gay rights, now they are merrily a display now which defeats there initial purpose, which is a fairly reasonable point. Everyone has a reason to chime in on the rights of individuals, there is enough evidence to suggest that this could be an interesting board if there is a dynamic between all sexual orientations. People who do not like /fit/ have the right to criticize, /a/ has the right to criticize /co/, why? Because everyone is entitled to an opinion, if a topic is created correctly then a healthy discussion filled with criticism will spawn which is always better then a one-sided circle-jerk.

Last edited Mar 18, 2013 at 08:17PM EDT

Papa Coolface wrote:

Won't go well. Everyone will start new threads instead of posting in existing ones. In a board like that everyone is OP.

It took me two hours to get that joke

@Tim the Enchanter:
Look, I can understand that. I can understand straight people going in there in order to learn and try to understand the lgbt movement. However, when you have people using the threads in order to completely antagonize the posters, it does more harm than good. In fact, those threads you mentioned? Those aren't threads with the purpose of arguing. Those are threads with the intent of discussion, which is an entirely different thing, and doesn't necessarily need dissenting opinions in order to continue. Quite a few of them aren't even outright attacking queer sexualities. The topic by a straight user on pride parades was a thread that genuinely asked a question as opposed to attacking the concept of pride parades. The topic on not raising awareness on gay rights is a topic for lgbt users to discuss.
It's a safer environment on 4chan for them to talk about their issues and to help other people understand them. I doubt that it'll attract "tumblr users" for the reason of "lack of dissent", which in all honesty is a really silly thing to say since tumblr is actually just as bad as 4chan when it comes to dissenting opinions and arguments most of the time (seriously. Try and criticize feminism for not helping women of color and you have a shitstorm on your hands). Besides, if the lack of dissenting opinion is something to worry about, then there are still several huge chunks of 4chan that fall into this kind of behavior, just like on any other website. When you think about it, the Anon in that image you posted as complaining more about how issues that affect straight people wouldn't often be up for debate in /lgbt/, which you can find similar complaints on any reddit subreddit that is gear primarily towards women.
Again, the board was made mostly for lgbt users to discuss lgbt issues and lifestyle, not for people outside of that umbrella to heavily criticize lgbt users. Dissenting opinions will be ones that are brought from within the lgbt community.

@Sneaky Bit
To say that one’s opinion is valued more greatly then another is a travesty to humanity. This board explores the nature of humanity and how we are orientated, thus everyone has the right to discuss and criticize. Opposing opinions should originate outside and within /lgbt/. The idea that dissenting opinions should originate within /lgbt/ is similar to the Soviet Union Government criticizing how the USSR is managed, they will always answer with a similar response until they are challenged. People outside of this supposed umbrella have the right to heavily criticize /lgbt/ users. Who knows if tumbler users will be drawn to this board, it is a possibility due to the nature of the board which is not a favorable outcome. Also, what is so wrong about talking about issues that face heterosexuals? They might not face that many societal problems but they still face issues regardless and there is no board designated to post them.
Edit: This is the last post from me because I feel like I am just repeating myself with non of my information disseminating. 4chan is a discussion site, not a social site.

Last edited Mar 18, 2013 at 09:48PM EDT

Lets not kid ourselves people, we all know what will happen next. That is: /lgbt/ will just follow the same trend as every other board on 4chan

First there will be trolls. Followed by a small window of the board being used as intended. Not long afterwards there will be R34. Then there will be trolls trolling tolls and gratuitous R34

I'll give it 3 days before the /lgbt/ thread simulators come along and we all get to hear channers declare that they would hug an LGBT person non-sexually.

Assume regular 4chan behavior from that point forward. Not that this is bad because it just opens up yet another fantastic opportunity for LULZ. I'm looking forward to it. This new board is going to be the best and funniest one yet.

@Tim

I just feel like pointing out that discussion is socializing so you lost me on that last part. Those two things are connected. Any website that allows inter-user interaction is a social site to its own extent and people definitely use 4chan as a social hub.

Last edited Mar 18, 2013 at 11:01PM EDT

@Tim:

To say that one’s opinion is valued more greatly then another is a travesty to humanity. This board explores the nature of humanity and how we are orientated, thus everyone has the right to discuss and criticize. Opposing opinions should originate outside and within /lgbt/.

And yet, that's exactly why the /lgbt/ board was made. The opinions of straight people tend to overshadow that of queer people in everyday conversation. A board where lgbt members can talk without worrying too much about bigotry, aside from that of trolls, is a good thing to happen. There is no need for an overarching "sexuality" board because, for the most part, heteronormative sexuality can be discussed freely and easily on several of the other boards.
Also, what is so wrong about talking about issues that face heterosexuals? They might not face that many societal problems but they still face issues regardless and there is no board designated to post them.

Get back to me when heterosexual couples are targeted and attacked in public because they're heterosexual and then we'll talk.

Surprise Bit wrote:

@Tim:

To say that one’s opinion is valued more greatly then another is a travesty to humanity. This board explores the nature of humanity and how we are orientated, thus everyone has the right to discuss and criticize. Opposing opinions should originate outside and within /lgbt/.

And yet, that's exactly why the /lgbt/ board was made. The opinions of straight people tend to overshadow that of queer people in everyday conversation. A board where lgbt members can talk without worrying too much about bigotry, aside from that of trolls, is a good thing to happen. There is no need for an overarching "sexuality" board because, for the most part, heteronormative sexuality can be discussed freely and easily on several of the other boards.
Also, what is so wrong about talking about issues that face heterosexuals? They might not face that many societal problems but they still face issues regardless and there is no board designated to post them.

Get back to me when heterosexual couples are targeted and attacked in public because they're heterosexual and then we'll talk.

Does tumblr count as in public?

Last edited Mar 19, 2013 at 02:28PM EDT

I say, why not? 4chan seems to be the ultimate discussion board of the internet, as in anybody is allowed to mingle with those who have similar interests. This board just broadens the appeal to giving another bunch of people and those who'd like to discuss 'lgbt' stuff their own board.

But hey, I don't even go on 4chan.

But what I've noticed is how if someone makes an OP joke, it's more likely to be true than ever.

Something tells me the entire board is going to devolve into mindless "I'm so oppressed and unloved" drool. There's literally nothing to do except brag about supporting LGBT or whining that you met someone who didn't.
Give it time, it'll be just another reddit circlejerk.

Zap Rowsdower wrote:

Now we just need a /fur/ board,so that they stop clogging up /b/ with their filth.

They had one at one point. It turned out exactly like you'd expect it.

also was their filth blocking your view of /b/'s filth

Zap Rowsdower wrote:

Now we just need a /fur/ board,so that they stop clogging up /b/ with their filth.

Considering /b/ is all filth, that's asking for a lot.

Zap Rowsdower wrote:

Furries have their own sites, I'm sure they mostly post on /b/ to rustle jimmies. Adding a board now – like /mlp/ – would be kind of pointless, imo.

Fridge wrote:

Furries have their own sites, I'm sure they mostly post on /b/ to rustle jimmies. Adding a board now – like /mlp/ – would be kind of pointless, imo.

Exactly. Global rules were created for a reason, furfaggotry needs no more invitation.

Also, it's disheartening to see asexuality become the new IWTCIRD. Now whom shall I talk to about being a third-gendered pan-romantic asexual? (Alas, I'm somehow serious)

Soldier wrote:

Alright, as an heterosexual (inb4yaoifanart) democratic 'murican, I can say two things:
1. I'm pretty sure this is a big goddamn experiment
2. Expect to see posts like the 4th one very often

lawl

._. I was in that thread. And I saved it…

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!