Forums / Media / Video Games

38,629 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Hyrule Warriors Discussion

Last posted Oct 06, 2015 at 09:19AM EDT. Added Jun 27, 2014 at 07:13PM EDT
270 posts from 38 users

Seeing as I appear to not be the only one excited for this baby, I decided to start a general discussion thread. As long as it's related to the game, go for it.

Discussion starter: To my knowledge, we have Link, Queen Zelda, Impa, Midna (♥), Zant, Agitha, and newcomers Lana and Tits McGee Shia as confirmed characters. Ganondorf is also very likely playable. Supposedly, there will be some surprising reveals for playable characters. Who would you like to see?

My picks:

Mikau:

Okay, this is more my sister's pick, but c'mon. I want to see him going Peter Townshend on enemies with the Zoraxe, maybe using sound waves to attack. Use of elbow boomerangs would be kickass as well. Tecmo Koei could look to Motochika Chosokabe from Samurai Warriors for ideas of how he could play.

Darunia:

Look at how this guy's built! He doesn't need weapons, maybe his equipment can be upgraded as improvements to the Goron Bracelet. Also, he could have a special attack involving rolling around at the speed of sound. Maybe they could make a reference to the cut "Goron Golem" from Twilight Princess. His main attacks could be very similar to Meng Huo from DW.

Twinrova:

Admittedly, I don't know how they would play. Do you play them seperate, switching between the two for different attacks, or would they start fused together? I just know I want to see it.

Ashei:

She received very little characterization, aside from being "rough around the edges," but she could be a "lighter" version of Link. Faster, weaker single strikes, multi-hit combos. There's plenty of room for interpretation here.

Last edited Jun 27, 2014 at 07:14PM EDT

I'll go ahead and say I'm not at all familiar with Dynasty Warriors, so I don't really know just how many of the mechanics of the series work outside of what I've seen from Hyrule Warriors thus far. Most of what I'm going to suggest as far as moves and play styles go is mainly just what I think would work based on what I've seen in the trailers and gameplay videos.

Old Man: Original Legend of Zelda.
This one's probably sliding more into joke character territory, but after Agitha I'd say anything goes in this game.
Primarily, he'd use a wooden sword as his weapon. I haven't decided yet if he'd use a shield along with it or would just wield it with both hands.

Another weapon idea I have for him is to dual wield both the wooden sword and the magic sword, with the magic sword doing heavy damage while the wood sword does very minimal damage, in a way similar to the Final Fantasy character Gilgamesh when he's wielding both Excalibur and Excalipoor.

For special moves, I imagine one where he summons two campfires, one on each side of him, which shoots fire at nearby enemies. Another is one where he goes "PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR CHARGE." and then surrounding minor enemies are turned into red rupees (the charge in the original game being 20 rupees), while boss/stronger enemies are given heavy damage which could increase based on the amount of rupees collected by the attack.

@AndyJoe522

This will be long, but I'm trying to be thorough.

The best way I could put the gameplay of most Koei Warriors games (Across all the Dynasty, Samurai, and Orochi franchises) is that you play an extremely powerful character that runs into an army of enemies and has to accomplish various missions around a wide open battlefield. While you do have allies fighting on your side, for the most part, they're incompetent, and you basically carry the entire army yourself. (This is good. If the allies were as strong as you, there'd be little left for you to accomplish.) Aside from standard hack and slash combo and strong attacks, you have the powerful "Musou" attacks, which you use by filling up a meter by taking and receiving damage, and, if playing co-op, a tag team special.

Admittedly, Hyrule Warriors seems to be quite the departure from most of the games I've played, and in a very good way. Based on the footage I've seen, enemies seem to be much more varied now, and I like how some tougher critters, like the redead knights, are only vulnerable after certain moves. If I'm correct, the game should require a little thought now.

I don't believe for a moment that each character will have a wildly different playstyle. From my experience in DW, a character with a giant sword, versus one with a bow, versus one that throws magic talismans, can all wade into a horde of enemies and win with little trouble. Some may need to have more or less distance, but it should be a relative non-issue.

Balance is not a thing in the Warriors games. The characters fall into tiers, and it's expected to be that way. Don't expect, say Saria (if she's playable) to have the same raw horde-stomping power that Ganondorf might, although she might have a few hidden tricks that make her really dangerous when used properly. (Example: In Samurai Warriors, a girl name Gracia fights completely unarmed with pitiful damage, speed, and range. You put her on a horse and she starts throwing fireballs and shockwaves and generally wrecking everything.)

These are some of my favorite games, so if you've got questions, please ask. I'll try to be as impartial as possible.

While on the subject of Saria, I'd imagine that the six sages from Ocarina of Time would also be playable (We already have Impa, so that's one down). While Darunia (as you already mentioned) and Nabooru would be focused more on physical attacks (with some magic enhancements based on their respective element, fire and earth), I can imagine the remaining three being more mage like characters, using magic spells based on their element. Plant based magic for Saria, Water based magic for Ruto (which would keep her from feeling redundant next to your already suggested Mikau) and Light magic for Rauru.

Right now it's juts The Legend of Harem, as besides Link there is only Female Protagonists.

I would like to see Darmani, Mikau, and maybe a guest appearance by a Fire Emblem character in the game. Though that part is rather slim.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Right now it's juts The Legend of Harem, as besides Link there is only Female Protagonists.

I would like to see Darmani, Mikau, and maybe a guest appearance by a Fire Emblem character in the game. Though that part is rather slim.

Touching on the Fire Emblem character idea, my hope is that maybe down the line if Hyrule Warriors is successful, we might see something along the lines of a Super Smash Warriors game. It's just a dream, but I still think it could be pretty cool.

Last edited Jun 28, 2014 at 01:05AM EDT

HIS GORGEOUS LOCKS WILL DESTROY ALL! Yes, I seriously want him in the game! It makes so much sense to me. More than Agitha at least. I'd also like to see this sexy beast playable:

On the actual game, at first I just thought it was silly and ridiculous, but ever since E3, I've actually been really hyped for the game, especially after I learned the possibility for loads of characters to be added outside of just Link.

EDIT: On a side note, is Zant playable or just a boss?

Last edited Jun 28, 2014 at 01:43AM EDT

Groose as a playable character just goes without saying. I didn't like Skyward Sword much, so I don't know much about any of the characters from it.

I just remembered the dojo sensei from Minish Cap. Apparently there's several of them, but the sprites are so small, posting one would require a magnifying glass. I see lots of flash steps, and a very samurai-esque fighting style.

On the subject of Minish Cap, how about Vaati? I haven't played MC very far, but I know he's good with a sword and he casts spells. Narrows it down a lot, I know.

Brice wrote:

It Looks Epic. But… One Problem, I Don't Have A “Wii U” I should get one…

Same here and probably with most people that got excited for the game. I'm dirt poor too.

Brice wrote:

It Looks Epic. But… One Problem, I Don't Have A “Wii U” I should get one…

If it's any help, Nintendo's selling refurbished Deluxe bundles (with Nintendo Land) on their online store for $200 (I'm not sure on any pricing in other regions, however).

As for more characters, I'd suggest the Lorule characters: Hilda, Ravio, and Yuga.

While her play style would likely be similar to Zelda's, however her primary weapon would be her staff rather than a sword.

I'd imagine he'd be a faster, more fragile version of Link, whose specials and/or equipment options would focus on his mastery of the game's various items.

I'd imagine him being a fast, powerful dark mage, however not quite as good as taking a hit as his counterpart Ganondorf. His specials would likely be themed based on his ability to turn people into paintings.

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw some screenshots on Zelda Dungeon showing off some of the characters and stages, including a few stages we've yet to see (Bridge of Elden, Kakariko Village, and somewhere in front of a Twilight barrier (which may or may not be part of the same stage as the Bridge of Elden)).

Last edited Jun 28, 2014 at 12:07PM EDT

MIMU wrote:

I'll be entirely honest: I have no idea who that is.

He's Byrne, from Spirit Tracks on the DS. His primary weapon is his mechanical claw, which he can even shoot out at opponents like a built-in clawshot. Story wise he's one of the most likable rival characters in the series, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in Hyrule Warriors.

Andyjoe522 wrote:

He's Byrne, from Spirit Tracks on the DS. His primary weapon is his mechanical claw, which he can even shoot out at opponents like a built-in clawshot. Story wise he's one of the most likable rival characters in the series, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in Hyrule Warriors.

Yaaay! I'm not alone on this!

Andyjoe522 wrote:

…Did she just summon a giant six-sided die and roll over her enemies on it?
Well, I know who I'm trying out first.

I can't figure out what her powers are supposed to be. She summons geometry? If so, I hope her powers include helping me with math in the future.

If that was supposed to be a die, however, I'm blaming her for the grudge the Random Number Gods have against me.

MIMU wrote:

I can't figure out what her powers are supposed to be. She summons geometry? If so, I hope her powers include helping me with math in the future.

If that was supposed to be a die, however, I'm blaming her for the grudge the Random Number Gods have against me.

The NA version of this trailer refers to her as "The White Sorceress" and her weapon as "The Book of Sorcery." But seriously, what is up with the cube? Not saying it isn't one of the most awesome attacks I've seen, but where the heck did that come from? Seriously, we need some backstory on this girl.

MIMU wrote:

Despite how I would normally coin the Cubes as Barrier Magic, I think in this case is an Electricity Version of the Cane of Somaria's magic.

And outside the cubes, it's just Lightning Magic, which surprisingly isn't that common and is usually reserved for very high leveled items or fights. (then again, we already are breaking the usual power level limit of the series)

Agitha Trailer

Unfortunately, I am not as impressed as I was with the other characters. She seems a bit wonky to use. (Also I had set my expectations to that of a Yuyuko Saigyouji inspired character…)

Does anyone know if the multiplayer option the game offers will also work over the internet? I'd love to play multiplayer with some of the folks here that way.

Regarding characters, I think people who are expecting enemy characters or bosses (Twinrova, Ghirahim, Yuga) are expecting too much. That's like having the developers say "Yes we know these characters are evil, but in this game they're suddenly good because [unexplained plot device]."

I call first dibs on coop with RandomMan if we get it.

@Enemy characters talk:

The Warriors series oftentimes has both a good and bad campaign for the heros and villians, so it's not out of the question for certain villians to become playable. (Though don't expect too much lest you be dissapointed)

RandomMan wrote:

Does anyone know if the multiplayer option the game offers will also work over the internet? I'd love to play multiplayer with some of the folks here that way.

Regarding characters, I think people who are expecting enemy characters or bosses (Twinrova, Ghirahim, Yuga) are expecting too much. That's like having the developers say "Yes we know these characters are evil, but in this game they're suddenly good because [unexplained plot device]."

They don't have to be good. In fact, it would be cool if you were on the evil side and had to fight off legions of Hyrulean soldiers, sort of like Sonic Adventure 2 where there's a good campaign and an evil campaign, or at least that's what I imagined.

I want…

Skullkid (Like the majora's mask fag I am.)
What would be cooler than attacking with 2 fairies and then dropping the moon on enemies to finish them off? Tatl and Tael could be part of his moveset. And he could also use the magic energy that the majora's mask has. Some people say that because the great fairy already uses the moon in her attack, Skull Kid won't be possible. If he can't use the moon, there's also the 4 giants, the Majora's Mask itself (It could come off and attack in its "Majora's Wrath" form.), and maybe even other masks that are used in MM.

Fi confirmed for Hyrule Warriors. Until a larger scan shows up, we're stuck with this.

Also confirmed: Skyward Sword outfits for Link and Zelda, Ball and chain item from TP, and Ghirahim and the Imprisoned are in the game.

Kotor wrote:

Fi confirmed for Hyrule Warriors. Until a larger scan shows up, we're stuck with this.

Also confirmed: Skyward Sword outfits for Link and Zelda, Ball and chain item from TP, and Ghirahim and the Imprisoned are in the game.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

I'm so much more excited right now! Skyward Sword is just my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time even though a lot of people didn't really like it for so,e reason, so these revelations are amazing. Not sure how I feel about Fi though…

Real talk though, I want Majora in this game as a playable character

Not Skull Kid, just Majora, I mean come on his signature moon is in the game as apparently a weapon since anyone can use with the hookshot from what I've heard, you'd think he should be in or at least hinted at?

So naturally I had to do this drawing to express what I am talking about even more because no one stopped me

Myndnix wrote:

Friend of mine claims that bosses like Zant won't be playable, to which I say: don't bet on it.
This is Dynasty Warriors. Everyone and their horse will be playable.

I don't know, apparently not only was Fi confirmed as a playable character but Ghirahim was confirmed to be an enemy along with The Imprisoned. Unless Dynasty Warriors lets you play as characters you've defeated/play a villain campain, never played those games so I cannot tell.

Carbonado wrote:

I don't know, apparently not only was Fi confirmed as a playable character but Ghirahim was confirmed to be an enemy along with The Imprisoned. Unless Dynasty Warriors lets you play as characters you've defeated/play a villain campain, never played those games so I cannot tell.

Ah. I've played a dozen of them, and yes, I can confirm that almost every character in DW games is playable one way or another. Sometimes you have to jump through some real hoops to unlock them, but you can unlock them. Even the final boss is playable, usually.
And there almost always is at least one villain campaign, yes. In fact more often than not, every character, even unlockables, has their own story mode or campaign.
Continuity is an extremely loose concept in this series. It's more about the gameplay and fanservice.

Here's a scan featuring Ghirahim and the Imprisoned.

And here's a larger scan of the one featuring Fi.

Last edited Jul 09, 2014 at 03:07PM EDT

I like how everyone have yet to mention the comic this I drew that I posted here, as if either people just accepted it or ignored it…

But thank you for the larger scan of Fi Kotor, you are swell person!

Also if what Myndix says is true then I wanna play as the Imprisoned just so I can vomit blackness all over everyone as the screenshot proves…

Carbonado wrote:

I like how everyone have yet to mention the comic this I drew that I posted here, as if either people just accepted it or ignored it…

But thank you for the larger scan of Fi Kotor, you are swell person!

Also if what Myndix says is true then I wanna play as the Imprisoned just so I can vomit blackness all over everyone as the screenshot proves…

Characters that big were usually not playable until recently- the new Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn allows you to play as boss characters that can literally stomp on everyone else.
If they did it in that game, I don't see why they can't do it here.

Myndnix wrote:

Characters that big were usually not playable until recently- the new Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn allows you to play as boss characters that can literally stomp on everyone else.
If they did it in that game, I don't see why they can't do it here.

I am really hoping for multiplayer to be a thing, because I can think of so many combinations of what can be done… I am assuming it's going to be only 2 player like the other Dynasty Warrior games though unless they decided to make it like 4 player in this game, but I suppose that would require quite some testing to make sure nothing gets messed up.

Still hyped though

Am I going to get kicked in the teeth if I told you guys I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, so the idea of merging it with Legend of Zelda (a series I've played a lot of) is absolutely alien to me?

I'm all for crossovers… I just wish I had played Dynasty Warriors now.

Wightprincess wrote:

Am I going to get kicked in the teeth if I told you guys I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, so the idea of merging it with Legend of Zelda (a series I've played a lot of) is absolutely alien to me?

I'm all for crossovers… I just wish I had played Dynasty Warriors now.

It's okay. I've never touched the Dynasty Warriors series and I'm still going to get this game. I plan to get my Wii U sometime later in the month so I'll be ready when it's release.

Who knows, if I love this game, I might check out Dynasty Warriors.

Am I the only person who has played DW before?! Bah!
I'll tell you what though- DW games are absolute masterpieces for replay value and for completionists. If you're going for all content, they will keep you busy for a very, very long time. My partner and I have over 200 hours logged in DW Gundam Reborn (Or rather Shin Gundam Musou, since I imported it) and we still don't have everything yet.

That feel when you may not be able to play as Ghirahim because he's a boss. (People said Zant won't be playable because he's a boss.)

General Shi Gai wrote:

That feel when you may not be able to play as Ghirahim because he's a boss. (People said Zant won't be playable because he's a boss.)

hello friend i am here to tell you otherwise

Welp, I guess today was Skyward Sword love week. I wonder what game are they going to pander towards next… well, we got Wind Waker, Majoras Mask, and Ocarina if they are going to focus on 3D Zelda's.

Hello! You must login or signup first!