Forums / Discussion / General

232,990 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Some one start a steam group for kym

Last posted Apr 18, 2010 at 06:34AM EDT. Added Apr 14, 2010 at 01:07PM EDT
32 posts from 12 users

Ooh, ooh! Biotic! That group logo you made? Can you show me the image you used before you put the faces on it? I'm assuming it's Jane, Cheese, and Dubs standing there, but I'm too lazy to find the picture.

EDIT: NEVA MIND, FOUND IT.

Last edited Apr 17, 2010 at 12:40PM EDT

Okay, I worked my awesome magic. I liked BZ's idea for the group icon a whole bunch. But alas, I am an image quality perfectionist, and I wanted to make BZ's icon extra-mega beautiful. And here they are:

Of course, there were many processes involved.

Step one, square the image. Not really of any artistic value, but we want the picture to fit the allowed icon space. I increased the canvas height, and quickly realized the fading whiteness eminating from the staff in the picture made everything ugly, so I got rid of that.

I liked the idea of replacing the staff heads with Valve characters, and Gordon fits Dubs great. Although I also like the idea of using other characters from Valve games, I didn't think the Spy and Pyro fit the theme well. Dubs is a researcher, Freeman is a researcher, it matches. But I thought I could improve upon BZ's selection for the other two.

Since I had to start from scratch, I had to redo Freeman, but it was super easy to find the image BZ used for him. Cut, shrink, paste. Then, I edited the saturation to match the skin tone of Freeman's face with Dubs' neck. Freeman's face conveniently fits right over Dubs'. Now for Cheese.

I thought, "Who, in a Valve game that isn't Half-Life, is some sort of intellect?" The Engineer instantly came to mind. I snagged the Engineer Steam icon, cut it out, shrunk it, and pasted it. Strangely enough, the skin tone of the Engi matched Cheese. Go figure. Also, his nice afro was sticking out from the sides, so I gave Cheese a hair trim.

Jane was hardest. I couldn't think of any scientist-like people for her, let alone a female one. I considered Alyx or Mossman, but they were from Half-Life as well. Zoey and Rochelle wouldn't work, since they weren't very scientist-like. Then it hit me; GLaDOS would do the job (I considered Chell, but she's not really a researcher, she's a test subject.) Then I hit a huge snag: Not even one slightly decent picture of GLaDOS on the web. I would have to do it myself.

So I boot up good ol' Garry's Mod, spawn the GLaDOS model, and a few minutes of strenuous positioning (The physics gun is glitchy with her for some reason) and photo-shooting later, I have some great shots of her "face". I pick the best, and I begin the cutting, which took some careful time, since the photo was so big. Shrink, paste, done- WAIT. Jane's hair was also visible, so I opened up my barber shop and did some snipping.

Now all done with version 1, I made some minor modifications. I lifted up the image, and placed "TEAM" in red Steamer font, added some beveling, texture, and a drop shadow. Not a big change, but change none the less.

Also, if they appear small, it's because the maximum size is 184 × 184. Any bigger, and Steam just slices off the extra ends. But the icon is readable and recognizable, so that's good.

So, what do you all think? With or without the "TEAM"? And what other minor changes could I make?

Steam is a DTP (Digital Transfer Protocol) made by the game developer Valve. Basically, you use it to buy a game, and goes on your library on your Steam account. No disc, no serials.

there is some advantages with it, but there is a lot of cons with it as well.

Edit

I also like the the new know your meme pictures.

Last edited Apr 17, 2010 at 04:17PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!