Forums / General

191,282 total conversations in 5,246 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General

Last posted Oct 06, 2011 at 09:42PM EDT. Added Feb 11, 2011 at 03:26PM EST
9,959 conversations with 189 participants

Beans is now a Commentator. The mods (Beans’ amount of word-based posts) have heard my cries! (reached a specific amount.)

Anyway, I’m going to keep adding to Connor’s theory of pony phenotypes until I get tired of that. Feel free to join in if you like that sort of thing.

I’m thinking under the basic assumption that phenotypes can be inherited solely by a parent’s genes. Until I have canon-based word (or a strong, testable, and tested fan theory) on how ponies get to be their respective races, then I’m going to assume that genetics are the mechanism by which ponies are born as earth ponies, pegasi, or unicorns.

We also know some parents of the mane cast and siblings too. That doesn’t speak to any specific chances of inheriting specific genotypes, but it does mean that any phenotype expressed must be possible within any decent explanation.

So assuming that these families are all biological:

• Twilight’s parents are both unicorns, and Twilight is a Unicorn.
  • Pinkie’s parents are both earth ponies, and all three of the fillies shown are earth ponies as well.
  • Applejack, Big MacIntosh, and Apple Bloom are all earth ponies. Granny Smith is also an earth pony.
  • Rarity and Sweetie Belle are both Unicorns.
  • Twilight is best pony.
  • Celestia and Luna are both alicorns, but the alicorn phenotype is outside of the scope of this exploratory research.

It would be nice to understand the social structure of ponies. It crossed my mind that if a child was born to parents with a different phenotypical expression, then the child may leave that town upon reaching adulthood for a town with ponies of a specific type (not by prejudice, but because the town and the activities are based around ponies’ strengths and interests (e.g., Cloudsdale doesn’t need roads, because all of the inhabitants can fly.) Some info like that could render moot any cities’ subject count, because it wouldn’t be indicative of biological chances for certain offspring.

(I’ll be back with more easily avoidable if you don’t want a wall of text information from other forums on explaining that…

…I go!)

Sep 19, 2011 at 06:04PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

Beans is now a Commentator. The mods (Beans’ amount of word-based posts) have heard my cries! (reached a specific amount.)

Anyway, I’m going to keep adding to Connor’s theory of pony phenotypes until I get tired of that. Feel free to join in if you like that sort of thing.

I’m thinking under the basic assumption that phenotypes can be inherited solely by a parent’s genes. Until I have canon-based word (or a strong, testable, and tested fan theory) on how ponies get to be their respective races, then I’m going to assume that genetics are the mechanism by which ponies are born as earth ponies, pegasi, or unicorns.

We also know some parents of the mane cast and siblings too. That doesn’t speak to any specific chances of inheriting specific genotypes, but it does mean that any phenotype expressed must be possible within any decent explanation.

• Pinkie’s parents are both earth ponies, and all three of the fillies shown are earth ponies as well.
  • Applejack, Big MacIntosh, and Apple Bloom are all earth ponies. Granny Smith is also an earth pony.
  • Twilight is best pony.
  • Celestia and Luna are both alicorns, but the alicorn phenotype is outside of the scope of this exploratory research.

It would be nice to understand the social structure of ponies. It crossed my mind that if a child was born to parents with a different phenotypical expression, then the child may leave that town upon reaching adulthood for a town with ponies of a specific type (not by prejudice, but because the town and the activities are based around ponies’ strengths and interests (e.g., Cloudsdale doesn’t need roads, because all of the inhabitants can fly.) Some info like that could render moot any cities’ subject count, because it wouldn’t be indicative of biological chances for certain offspring.

(I’ll be back with more easily avoidable if you don’t want a wall of text information from other forums on explaining that…

…I go!)

Again, you silly filly, thats not how you spell the best pony’s name
its R-A-I-N-B-O-W D-A-S-H
EDIT: What stuff do I need to have a decent podcast? I already got a laptop and that comes with a camera and microphone. just list what i need to look for when i go to the store to make it simpler

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 06:26PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 06:18PM EDT

My brony friend and I figured out how to make the male to female ratio realistic to the show. But it involves females being able to breed with each other. Which only reinforces the assumption that all ponies are bi. Will post results after TF2.

Sep 19, 2011 at 06:27PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

• Twilight is best pony.

…I go!)

Yeh, I don’t think it’s possible for a pony of one race to give birth to a pony of a different one, genetically it’s too much of a stretch. Maybe you could argue that if two ponies of different races reproduced the offspring would always be the same race as the mother.

Either way, I like Derpy, but Dinky being her child is just a stupid, stupid idea, just because they have similar color schemes doesn’t mean they’re related. Besides, Derpy doesn’t seem old enough to have a partially grown child, she was in the best young fliers competition after all.

Sep 19, 2011 at 06:52PM EDT

Romana wrote:

Sorry, I deleted the post.

Is okay. We just rage like morons when R34 comes up. Its all in good fun.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:03PM EDT

badsitrep, gar wrote:

Is okay. We just rage like morons when R34 comes up. Its all in good fun.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:06PM EDT

Romana wrote:

Sorry, I deleted the post.

It sokay. I forgive you.
But only because you used Fluttershy to apoligize.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:08PM EDT

So I dreamt that they posted a clip from A FUCKING RAINBOW DASH SONG here, and it was fantastic. Then I woke up.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:09PM EDT

Some Bronies on Ponychan were debating weather Discord is evil of just neutral.

I can’t really agree with the latter idea (although it intrigued me) because Celestia’s description of Discord’s rule over Equestria sounded pretty dark and Discord operates… you know… very much like a villain.

I guess most of the neutral argument was based around the things he said to Pinkie and Applejack about how sometimes laughter can hurt others’ feelings and whatever he said about lies being easier to take sometimes – people were basically saying he challenged the goodness of those elements by calling them out on being bad in certain situations and that there was truth behind what he was saying. Some seemed to think he was just playing the devil’s advocate for fun more than anything. But making adorable ponies miserable for years sounds pretty evil to me and I’m almost certain that Discord said those things to Pinks and Applejack (true though they may be) because he was just trying to mess with them.

Thoughts?

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 07:12PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 07:09PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

Some Bronies on Ponychan were debating weather Discord is evil of just neutral.

I can’t really agree with the latter idea (although it intrigued me) because Celestia’s description of Discord’s rule over Equestria sounded pretty dark and Discord operates… you know… very much like a villain.

I guess most of the neutral argument was based around the things he said to Pinkie and Applejack about how sometimes laughter can hurt others’ feelings and whatever he said about lies being easier to take sometimes – people were basically saying he challenged the goodness of those elements by calling them out on being bad in certain situations and that there was truth behind what he was saying. Some seemed to think he was just playing the devil’s advocate for fun more than anything. But making adorable ponies miserable for years sounds pretty evil to me and I’m almost certain that Discord said those things to Pinks and Applejack (true though they may be) because he was just trying to mess with them.

Thoughts?

The answer is obviously that he’s a villain who just enjoys chaos. In the Fluttershy scene, when his manipulation tactics fail, he just up an makes her cruel. He clearly has a goal; he messing with the ponies is just his way of having fun with it and making a point by leading them into it, when he could just as easily snap his fingers and win.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:12PM EDT

❀Daruqe❀ wrote:

The answer is obviously that he’s a villain who just enjoys chaos. In the Fluttershy scene, when his manipulation tactics fail, he just up an makes her cruel. He clearly has a goal; he messing with the ponies is just his way of having fun with it and making a point by leading them into it, when he could just as easily snap his fingers and win.

Probably.
I dunno if he’s exactly “evil.” He just seems to enjoy trolling.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:13PM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

Yeh, I don’t think it’s possible for a pony of one race to give birth to a pony of a different one, genetically it’s too much of a stretch. Maybe you could argue that if two ponies of different races reproduced the offspring would always be the same race as the mother.

Either way, I like Derpy, but Dinky being her child is just a stupid, stupid idea, just because they have similar color schemes doesn’t mean they’re related. Besides, Derpy doesn’t seem old enough to have a partially grown child, she was in the best young fliers competition after all.

I think, about the how the different types (unicorn, pegasus, earth) of ponies come around, that they have a second gene pair (like a gender one) that determines which type they are.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:21PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Probably.

Dude is turning friends against each other by messing with them to create a world of chaos that most other ponies don’t want and where harmony, the opposite of chaos, is the most cherished thing in creation.

Even if the means are trolling, he’s hurting the mane 6 in the process for a world lacking cherished harmony. Sounds like evil to me.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:30PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Probably.

I consider Discord a troll above everything else, but the backstory of Equestria does make him sound pretty evil (also what Verbose said) Unless all he did was make the ponies of long ago miserable with pranks and practical jokes and Trollestia was just trolling the mane 6 with a ’victor’s history’ of Equestria…

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 07:38PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 07:37PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

I consider Discord a troll above everything else, but the backstory of Equestria does make him sound pretty evil (also what Verbose said) Unless all he did was make the ponies of long ago miserable with pranks and practical jokes and Trollestia was just trolling the mane 6 with a ’victor’s history’ of Equestria…

That’s probably the most possible thing. I bet he’s going to turn good in the end of the next episode and help Pinkie with a party.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:38PM EDT

He could disappear to some distant land or be turned to stone again.
I think he is evil, but he just wants to troll them before he tries to get rid of them for teh lulz.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 07:49PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 07:45PM EDT

I’d like to make two points here:

First off, Discord and Q are pretty much the same character type, albeit with a few marked differences. They are both semi-omnipotent beings who take great pleasure out of screwing with lesser beings. The similarities are quite noticeable in the TNG episode “Hide and Q”, in which Q gives Commander Riker the powers of the Continuum as a test of the human spirit. It’s very similar to “Return of Harmony”, and demonstrates an underlying trait about both characters, in that each is a cheating bastard of a GM. I’m a Trekkie, I know this shit.

Also, Discord might be Q in a different form, because the Q are shapeshifters. Personally, I think they’re the exact same person. Discord is Q, end of argument.

Second, I’ve always assumed that pony demographics are on a three way split between Earth Ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns, with Alicorns filling in the remaining 1%. It’s pretty basic, but I think it works.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 07:49PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 07:46PM EDT

Caramel wrote:

That’s probably the most possible thing. I bet he’s going to turn good in the end of the next episode and help Pinkie with a party.

I’m pretty sure that I can safely assume I would enjoy every second of that.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:51PM EDT

Caramel wrote:

I don’t want to see them do to him what they did to Nightmare Moon, IE: completely dismantle the character with little to no hope of them returning. Because unlike Nightmare Moon, he’s a damn good villain.

Turning a villain into a permanent good guy is pretty much akin to killing off the character, and there isn’t much I hate more then seeing a character go to waste like that.

Sep 19, 2011 at 07:53PM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

I don’t want to see them do to him what they did to Nightmare Moon, IE: completely dismantle the character with little to no hope of them returning. Because unlike Nightmare Moon, he’s a damn good villain.

Turning a villain into a permanent good guy is pretty much akin to killing off the character, and there isn’t much I hate more then seeing a character go to waste like that.

I see what you mean but I wouldn’t lol any less. A Pinkie and Discord coordinated party would be like the one with Gilda but with like 10 times the trolling (not to mention if Rainbow Dash was also helping, I think she said she set up all the pranks at Gilda’s).

Discord is a great villain though, he deserves to go out like one.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 08:05PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 08:02PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

I see what you mean but I wouldn’t lol any less. A Pinkie and Discord coordinated party would be like the one with Gilda but with like 10 times the trolling (not to mention if Rainbow Dash was also helping, I think she said she set up all the pranks at Gilda’s).

Discord is a great villain though, he deserves to go out like one.

One thing I was thinking was… he’ll pretend when he is defeated to be turned to stone (if he actually isn’t) then stop being stone and make them all jump.

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:05PM EDT

Fridge Logic wrote:

I’d like to make two points here:

First off, Discord and Q are pretty much the same character type, albeit with a few marked differences. They are both semi-omnipotent beings who take great pleasure out of screwing with lesser beings. The similarities are quite noticeable in the TNG episode “Hide and Q”, in which Q gives Commander Riker the powers of the Continuum as a test of the human spirit. It’s very similar to “Return of Harmony”, and demonstrates an underlying trait about both characters, in that each is a cheating bastard of a GM. I’m a Trekkie, I know this shit.

Also, Discord might be Q in a different form, because the Q are shapeshifters. Personally, I think they’re the exact same person. Discord is Q, end of argument.

Second, I’ve always assumed that pony demographics are on a three way split between Earth Ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns, with Alicorns filling in the remaining 1%. It’s pretty basic, but I think it works.

Well of course dischord is Q, he even sighned his handiwork

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 08:12PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 08:11PM EDT

Caramel wrote:

One thing I was thinking was… he’ll pretend when he is defeated to be turned to stone (if he actually isn’t) then stop being stone and make them all jump.

I could see them turning him to stone again at the end of the next episode, then just before the credits roll he winks at the camera. That would be a perfect way to end it.

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:18PM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

I could see them turning him to stone again at the end of the next episode, then just before the credits roll he winks at the camera. That would be a perfect way to end it.

Discord: Only he can wink while being stone

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:22PM EDT

Fridge Logic wrote:

Incoming wall of text involving Pony Sex (not the act, the genetics) & Pony Race

Well, it is just talk, so it can’t hurt to see what using that assumption will do to a fan-theory (or to help create one,) no?

Pony Races
1 of 100 ponies being demigods is still a ton of demigods. But I figure you mean a very small percentage are alicorns or that most alicorns are not as powerful as the Princesses.

But that aside (or included,) there is now a near equal distribution of unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies in Equestria. Fridge Logic says it is so.

I was thinking that the homogeneous (same race) couples we see in the show aren’t uncommon. Given that ponies of the same race tend to live in the same communities (Canterlot has mostly unicorns and Cloudsdale strictly pegasi,) it isn’t likely that most unicorns would get to know ponies of other races well enough to court, marry, and mate (assuming human-esque mating rituals.) Kinda like how human interracial relationships are relatively rare, because communities tend to be racially homogeneous.

So mixed genetics on the racial basis isn’t likely to be common. But if it does occur and Fridge Logic’s assumption is true, then the genetics would play out so that:

• There could be only one “chromosome” to consider (e.g, P dominates U and children are Pegasi.)
  • Or each pony has two chromosomes (perhaps more) that determine the offspring’s phenotype and one dominates the other (e.g., PU genotype is a Pegasi phenotype.)

Pony Sex
The whole “too many women, not enough bros” thing. Sex is determined by sex 2 chromosomes in humans, X and Y. Males have XY and females XX. Each parent passes one of those letters to the child. The math works out so that there tends to be an equal number of males and female offspring in humans.

Would it be as simple as to just make the number of sex chromosomes into 3 or 4 or 8 or 16? Whichever yields a probability of X(XXXXX…)X to X(XXXXX…)Y most similar to the odds of females to males in Equestria society.
So instead of a 50/50 chance for males or females, it would turn to 67/33 with three sex chromosomes, 75/25 with four, 80/20 with five…and so forth, as long as females have no Y and males have only one Y.

I think that would work.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 08:34PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 08:29PM EDT

So we’re discussing genetics for a show made for little girls about magical, brightly colored talking ponies?
Hmm.

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:31PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

So we’re discussing genetics for a show made for little girls about magical, brightly colored talking ponies?
Hmm.

Welcome to the interwebs, Citation.

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:32PM EDT

Ideological the Vinyl Scratch wrote:

Welcome to the interwebs, Citation.

Some people like talking about stuff like this for kicks outside of a classroom or a lab. I am one of those fools.

Now I’m not foolish enough to believe it actually matters, mind you.

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:37PM EDT

So, my and my friend’s theory:
YY=male
XX=female
XY=female

_|X |X
X|XX |XX
Y|XY|XY

_|Y |Y
X|XY |XY
Y|YY|YY

_|X |Y
X|XX |XY
Y|XY|YY

_|Y |Y
X|XY |XY
X|XY|XY

_|X |X
X|XX |XX
X|XX |XX

Result: m/f = 3/17

EDIT: Females can breed because ponies.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 08:48PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 08:46PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Hmm.

That’s when you know that a show is really worth it

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:47PM EDT

How do you quote specific parts of a post without having to do the whole thing?

Sep 19, 2011 at 08:57PM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

copypasta it

Sep 19, 2011 at 09:04PM EDT

We need to start genetically engineering alicorns now :l

Sep 19, 2011 at 09:06PM EDT

Well, I finally managed to see episode 1 of season 2.

The animation is noticeably better (I’m surprised that’s even possible), and there was a clear shout-out to Chocolate Rain.

And Discord… HOLY SHIT, Discord. I don’t even know where to begin… I guess I can at least say that his voice work is AMAZING.

I’m relying on all of you to keep me posted on when new episodes come out. Looks like season 2 is going to be even better than the first.

Sep 19, 2011 at 09:32PM EDT

So, let’s see… What have I missed today?

Hmm. Pony genetics. Well, not sure I can help you guys on this one. I’m too late to the party to contribute anything new. Oh well.

Also, hey! I’m a commentator now? ~yay

Sep 19, 2011 at 09:44PM EDT

Caramel wrote:

So, my and my friend’s theory:
YY=male
XX=female
XY=female

_|X |X
X|XX |XX
Y|XY|XY

_|Y |Y
X|XY |XY
Y|YY|YY

_|X |Y
X|XX |XY
Y|XY|YY

_|Y |Y
X|XY |XY
X|XY|XY

_|X |X
X|XX |XX
X|XX |XX

Result: m/f = 3/17

You may find these articles enlightening and useful for your theories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X0_sex-determination_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplodiploid_sex-determination_system

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 09:46PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 09:45PM EDT

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Looks like someone finally realised his entrance to the herd

Holy crackers. That’s an awesome tweet.

Sep 19, 2011 at 09:51PM EDT

Beans wrote:

So, let’s see… What have I missed today?

Hmm. Pony genetics. Well, not sure I can help you guys on this one. I’m too late to the party to contribute anything new. Oh well.

Also, hey! I’m a commentator now? ~yay

Wat is commentator and how do get one?

Sep 19, 2011 at 09:54PM EDT

Well, ladies and gentlemen, time to eat and go to sleep.
pleaseletmehaveponydreamspleaseletmehaveponydreams
Also, I’m currently working on chapter 4, about 2/6 done with it. Just thought some of you’d like to know. It involves Rainbow Dash.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 10:06PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 10:05PM EDT

Connor the Brony wrote:

You are now a commentator. Go, and maliciously abuse your power.

Also.
Nope.

I know that you guys put a lot of effort into the theory, but Word of Faust is Word of Faust. I’m still going with 3 or more sex chromosomes:

XXXXY and XXXXX would equal a lot more females than males.
Oh, and many thanks for the links, Platus.

CitationNeeded wrote:

So, is anyone else looking forward to the remastered theme?

Moreso, the background music. But the main theme as well. I’m pretty curious about it.

Gigatoast wrote:

It’s HTML. It took me forever to figure it out, because the textile link above the Reply box wasn’t helpful. I’m not sure if I can format it correctly myself.

1. Copy the text you want to quote
  2. Write “Gigatoast (or whomever) wrote:”
  3. Then on the next line, paste the quote between [blockquote]your quote here.[/blockquote]
    1. Don’t use brackets “[ ]” though. Use a less than sign "" instead.
  4. You can put underscores ( _ ) at the very beginning and at the very end of the text (but before the [blockquote] and after the /[blockquote] to italicize it, if you’d like.

You can also just copy and paste it too. That’s better than copying and pasting three embedded videos. It’s just time consuming, so by the time you do it, seven other posts have been written.

Don’t be afraid to Edit your stuff too after it’s been posted. I’m probably going to do it a few times myself. Get the message down so people can respond, and then edit it so that it’s pretty.

Last edited Sep 19, 2011 at 10:12PM EDT
Sep 19, 2011 at 10:07PM EDT

Wat do commentators do differently…? Son.. I. Am. DERP.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:11PM EDT

One thing about the genetics: There have to be more males than we’re seeing. The main characters may be all female, but its a show for little girls, so that’s a given. Besides, I’ve seen plenty of stallions in episodes like “Winter Wrap-Up” and “The Best Night Ever”, and the latter seemed to have a pretty even distribution, especially during “At The Gala”. Right now, I’d say the sexual distribution would be 60% female and 40% male.

That tweet is the most epic thing ever. A winrar is you, Bronydude11.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:12PM EDT

@Verbose

How can any species get more than two chromosomes if the number of chromosomes is the function of the number of parents? One parent passes down one, the other passes the other; only two; unless you are suggesting… no… you wouldn’t…

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:14PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!