Beans is now a Commentator. The mods (Beans’ amount of word-based posts) have heard my cries! (reached a specific amount.)
Anyway, I’m going to keep adding to Connor’s theory of pony phenotypes until I get tired of that. Feel free to join in if you like that sort of thing.
I’m thinking under the basic assumption that phenotypes can be inherited solely by a parent’s genes. Until I have canon-based word (or a strong, testable, and tested fan theory) on how ponies get to be their respective races, then I’m going to assume that genetics are the mechanism by which ponies are born as earth ponies, pegasi, or unicorns.
We also know some parents of the mane cast and siblings too. That doesn’t speak to any specific chances of inheriting specific genotypes, but it does mean that any phenotype expressed must be possible within any decent explanation.
So assuming that these families are all biological:
- Twilight’s parents are both unicorns, and Twilight is a Unicorn.
- Pinkie’s parents are both earth ponies, and all three of the fillies shown are earth ponies as well.
- Applejack, Big MacIntosh, and Apple Bloom are all earth ponies. Granny Smith is also an earth pony.
- Rarity and Sweetie Belle are both Unicorns.
- Twilight is best pony.
- Celestia and Luna are both alicorns, but the alicorn phenotype is outside of the scope of this exploratory research.
It would be nice to understand the social structure of ponies. It crossed my mind that if a child was born to parents with a different phenotypical expression, then the child may leave that town upon reaching adulthood for a town with ponies of a specific type (not by prejudice, but because the town and the activities are based around ponies’ strengths and interests (e.g., Cloudsdale doesn’t need roads, because all of the inhabitants can fly.) Some info like that could render moot any cities’ subject count, because it wouldn’t be indicative of biological chances for certain offspring.
(I’ll be back with more easily avoidable if you don’t want a wall of text information from other forums on explaining that…