Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Duke Nukem Forever

Last posted Jun 17, 2011 at 01:20PM EDT. Added Jun 14, 2011 at 02:28AM EDT
15 posts from 11 users

Only got about an hour and a half to play around in it last night, so far I'm enjoying it.

I'm playing it on PC, so I can't comment on all the issues the console versions have been having. I've got 5-10 second load screens, and no slowdown when things get actiony. The graphics are more than good enough for my needs. The humor is definitely juvenile, but I've actually found myself enjoying it. The combat I've seen has definitely been reminiscent of the old style of FPS, and it didn't take long to revert my play style back to that. Not far enough in to say much about exploration, but so far it's been important, in that interacting with everything you can find often rewards in a permanently increased health bar. I can definitely agree that it feels like a parody of itself, and can understand how people who'd try to take it seriously would think it falls flat. The original was the same way, and I think they've done a good job of capturing that.

Over all, while it's definitely not the greatest new thing, it doesn't feel like it was ever trying to be. It feels like it's trying to be a modern sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, and I would say it's been successful at that.

"When the humor isn't bad it's outright revolting. Remember the kidnapped women in the second episode of Duke 3D? They're back, but this time they scream in a combination of pain and ecstasy as they're raped and impregnated. Two of them -- who had given Duke oral sex earlier in the game -- beg him not to dump them and promise to "lose the pregnancy weight." The player can then choose to kill them on the spot or watch them scream as they suffer a painful death -- exploding with their alien babies. Throughout the rest of the level, Duke encounters women in a similar state and is offered the same terrible choice: kill them on the spot or face the alien spawn. Dispatching the woman prompts Duke to quip, "They're not human anymore." " -1up.

Sounds like 4chan.

Yep, and they gave it a 0.

Last edited Jun 17, 2011 at 09:43AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!