Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,714 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Nation RP

Last posted Mar 28, 2016 at 04:35PM EDT. Added Dec 07, 2011 at 03:12PM EST
1043 posts from 24 users

Syndic wrote:

Nope. They'll pretty much sit around and do nothing without player prompting. But that is just inactive player nations. NPCs are all active and controlled by me.

So, you control NPCs, but not inactive player's nations?

pug on toast wrote:

So, you control NPCs, but not inactive player's nations?

Yes. Consider inactive NPCs as those nations in history that mysteriously collapsed from the inside. Like the USA is doing right now.

Turn 4
Bronze Age

Game Notes
I will be removing technology for the moment, starting next turn. It is a clutter and difficult to manage. And besides, we will be sticking in this general epoch for a while. Focus in your turns instead, on building an empire or political/cultural reformations.

Nations:

Cultures:

Falconland (DouglasJFalcon)
Tech: weapons, Wheel, Farming, Language, Boating, Bronze Tools, Mining, Language, Roads
Cult: Syllabic Language, Falconism
-Bronze tools are introduced.
-Casual pastimes involving kicking small leather balls around a flat field have developed into serious sporting activities.

Vulcan (FridgeLogic)
Tech: Wheel, Stone Tools, Language, Writing, Boating, Whale Hunting
Cult: Syllabic Language, Kolinahr
-no turn (1)

Angmar (WitchKing)
Tech: Farming, Language, Bronze Tools, Wheel, Weapons, Metallurgy, Mining, Livestock
Cult: Fellowship Polytheism, Sign Language
-Mining and bronze tools are developed.
-Pack animals are domesticated into organized livestock farms.
-Centralized governments are starting to form, based upon religious control and systems of tribute.

Rossiya (RussianFedora)
Govt: Republic
Tech: Bronze Tools, Farming, Language, Pottery, Weapons, Mining, Weapons, Construction@
Cult: Sylabic Language
-Construction tools such as the lever and pulley are invented.
-Weapons and bronze tools are becoming common.
-Musical instruments develop into more uniform and standard items with standardized tunes.
-A primitive republic forms in the Urals, ruling the people through popular decision rather than raw power and strength.

Prometheus (Vlad)
Tech: Language, Wheel, Bronze Tools, Mining, Farming, Weapons, Boating, Writing, Roads, Construction
Cult: Syllabic Language
-Advanced masonry techniques are explored for larger and more elaborate structures.
-The king is overthrown and a republic in style of the Greeks of the west is put into place.
-Roads are constructed and stretch outward from the capital.
-A great Macedonian warlord known as Alexander marches forth from the west, bringing with him battle hardened Greek armies. He invades the northern regions of Prometheus and demands their surrender as a client state to his empire.

Pimponari (PimpAbra)
Govt: Tribal Nation
Tech: Language, Bronze tools, Livestock, Farming, Instruments, Boating, Mining, Smelting, Construction, Papyrus, Writing
Cult: Song Language, Musical Polytheism
-Metals are forged in hot adobe forges, large enough to entrap heat to a sufficient degree to melt the rocks into more pliable shapes.
-Papyrus is invented as a means for efficient record keeping.
-Clay, sands, berries, and various other natural elements are mixed and mashed to produce various colours for the artistic needs of society. Painting and sculpture have become very popular and inexpensive ways of beautifying large towns.
-The Song language evolves gradually with formal symbols for notation, and the first sheet music is written.

Treyshondia (Alex)
Tech: Weapons, Language, Stone Tools
Cult: Syllabric Language
-not turn (1)

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 10:46PM EST

Ming (MisterJ)
Tech: Wheel, Farming, Language, Dried Food, Bronze Tools, Boating, Weapons, Pottery
-Committees of elders form in each village, with elected courts determining the shape and reason of justice. The roots of democracy have been formed.
-As hard metals such as copper and tin become more common as trading items, the Ming have started to use them as tools.
-Ceramics are on the way to being developed, as the people of Ming begin experimenting with clay and its construction capabilities.
-Herbal medicine distributed from wandering tribal shamans is producing a placebo effect strong enough to raise the average life span in Indonesia by two months.
-Wild birds are domesticated as eggs become a much wanted delicacy.

Cats (MadCat)
Govt: Kingdom
Tech: Pottery, Weapons, Livestock, Farming, Plumbing, Language, Wheel, Banking, Smelting
Cult: Heaven's Mandate, Syllabic Language
-New, stronger weapons are made in uniform shapes and structure as an army is built around the ideal of organization and snow-clone division formations.
-A uniform currency system is put into place, using inexpensive, cheap metals for low value coins. As such, a banking system arises to guarantee the value of these meaningless common metals.
-Metal smelting becomes more and more commonplace as even the smallest of villages has a furnace and a skilled blacksmith.

Magwoli (TehBrawler)
Tech: Boating, Farming, Metalurgy
-no turn (2)

Syserror (BSOD)
Tech: Farming, Stone Tools, Shipping, Livestock, Language, Mining, Bird Trapping, Writing, Pottery, Weapons
Cult: Syllabic Language, Softcrash Polytheism
-Sailing expeditions further across the Pacific Ocean places some Syserror as far as the American continents.
-Written language is developed through wood carving.
-So called "blue screen elders" in Aukland have taken control of vast amounts of territory for the tribe, establishing a republic.
-Cultural exchanges with the Magwoli tribes is leading to a bit of absorption of the two cultures into eachother.
-Trading begins to revolve around semi-precious and precious metals ranging from tin to gold.
-Pottery is developed, and new cooking methods increase sanity and lower mortality rates.
-A new tribe in Sydney develops quickly as it becomes a main trading and migration hub for the Australian continent.
-The variety of Gods narrow down to a certain few, dubbed the Gods of the Great Software Crash. Each God controlling a separate Fatal Exception. Shrines are erected in their honor. Wood carvings of them decorate huts and Marae.
-A strange cult of borderline insane heretics called "Ricteslians" have formed and begin spreading dangerous ideas, threatening the traditional way of things.

Mertola (RocketPropelledPanda)
Tech: Weapons, Language, Stone Tools, Farming, Mining, Construction, Writing, Metallurgy, Pottery
Syllabic Language
-A king ruling over a rather large tribe, believing that the tribes of the plains should be unified, begins construction a legion of mounted warrior to conquer and absorb the other tribes. He justifies his actions through a message from the Gods. Fortunately, most believe in his message, and as his power grows those whom fear him have put aside their differences to unite under his banner, rather than risk death at his hand.
-Metallurgy is developed as metal shaping becomes more common.
-Written language is developed, facilitating the spread and growth of the horde.
-Stealthy tactics prove to win the day more often than not, and the Mertolan horsemen have become famous for their brief yet deadly night raids upon their foes.

Teclos (QuakerPerez)
Tech: Language, Stone Tools, Livestock, Farming, Wheel, Weapons
Cult: Latin Language, Spanoism
-A common language, borrowing from foreign Latin symbols from the east, is adopted.
-Livestock herding is learned from the Iberians.
-Stone tools and weapons are invented.
-The sling is developed as a weapon, and commonly used by Teclon and Iberian foot soldiers in times of unrest and warfare.
-Horses are arranged as symbols of royalty, and cavalry expertise is highly praised.
-The sun god Spano morphs into an all encompassing single deity, forming a monotheistic following.
-A currency system based on soft metals makes way for trade with foreign ports, especially the "modern" and mysterious Romans to the east.

Can you explain how the culture/nation thing works more? I sort of understand how culture spreads, but how does one's nation grow?

pug on toast wrote:

Can you explain how the culture/nation thing works more? I sort of understand how culture spreads, but how does one's nation grow?

Invasions directed by the player. Almost all of you are situated within regions of your own culture. You can quite easily move in, kill the local king/warlord, and force the locals to pay a pittance to your throne while guarding their loyalty with a minimal garrison. Like the Roman Empire. You can also establish client kingdoms in far flung lands where you cannot possibly rule directly if you want.

The white areas on the culture map (not many, mostly just pacific islands now) are completely uninhabited. But if it is coloured on the culture map, and white on the nations map, that means the region is either very weak and scattered or it isn't unified at all (city states and villages). You can conquer those people without much of a fight.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 11:17PM EST

Go Syserror!

(If we get to the Imperial age where national pride is invented, I'm totally using this for my flag.)

Anyway, important question:

Do I have control of Sydney as well as Syserror? It looks like you set it up as a separate nation even though I meant it to be one settlement

When I came up with Sydney I was thinking of a major Syserror settlement much like my capital of Auckland that functions as a major artery in the trade network I want to set up between New Zealand and Australia. (I also extend this trade network to Noumea, Samoa, Fiji, Solomon and New Britain)

And if anyone asks about the cult that popped up in my culture. That's a reference to Ric Tesla's post on this thread.

Apprently as Ric Tesla was doing his ancient alien thing, my people spotted his UFO and formed a new religion about it

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 11:50PM EST

Hey, guys, maybe most of you didn't notice the new turn up there. I usually have a lot more PMs by this time of the day, and I start working on the next one, but I only have three so far.

Hey I'm sorry Syndic, but It just seems I haven't had the time to participate.

Considering how far behind I am, I don't think I can play. So just kill Treyshondia off with AIDS or something. My bad…

Alex>_> wrote:

Considering how far behind I am, I don't think I can play. So just kill Treyshondia off with AIDS or something. My bad…

You can give me your land if you don't want it.

Alex>_> wrote:

You can give me your land, if you don't want it.

Alex>_> wrote:

Interesting thought. I haven't read the whole thread, totally missing out on this round of the game, but have you had any plagues yet? Could make the game interesting…

Brucker wrote:

Interesting thought. I haven't read the whole thread, totally missing out on this round of the game, but have you had any plagues yet? Could make the game interesting…

No, we're just now forming nations from formed cultures. I believe at this point you can get a nation from a pre-culture.

Alex>_> wrote:

I'm the closest give it to me!
I hope PimpAbra doesn't see this...

Invaded by Greece? This can't be good. On the plus side I guess this (technically) means I'm a protectorate of one of the first empires on Earth. So I guess this could turn out positively. Or, it could turn out to be a bloody mess and be the worst thing that happened to me in one of these games since RussianFedora nuked me.

Last edited Dec 12, 2011 at 06:24PM EST

Vlad wrote:

Invaded by Greece? This can't be good. On the plus side I guess this (technically) means I'm a protectorate of one of the first empires on Earth. So I guess this could turn out positively. Or, it could turn out to be a bloody mess and be the worst thing that happened to me in one of these games since RussianFedora nuked me.

Syndic wrote:

Hey, guys, maybe most of you didn't notice the new turn up there. I usually have a lot more PMs by this time of the day, and I start working on the next one, but I only have three so far.

I wanted to be sure that Sydney was a part of Syserror and not a separate nation before I made a move, so I waited for an answer to my question

I suppose I'll make a move anyway

Last edited Dec 12, 2011 at 07:43PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I wanted to be sure that Sydney was a part of Syserror and not a separate nation before I made a move, so I waited for an answer to my question

I suppose I'll make a move anyway

Oh. Yeah. Its definitely a separate nation. That's what the different colours and names on the nation map means.

Captain Douglas J Falcon wrote:

i'm also waiting for an answer to the question i sent in my turn post.

I don't read KYMnatRP messages until the moment I start working on the turn. And I don't reply to them unless something is wrong or awesome.

I keep telling you guys. If you have a question, send it in a separate message NOT titled KYMnatRP.

Turn 5
Bronze Age

Game Note: Technology will be measured on a scale from now until the modern age, instead of measured by individual inventions. The scale slides from primitive to modern, with the most modernized nations having their sliders all the way to the right. You can raise your technology level by providing good circumstances for education or by coming into contact with and trading with a more advanced nation.

Nations:

Cultures:

Falconland (DouglasJFalcon)
Tech: [======|====]
Cult: Syllabic Language, Falconism
-After attempting to establish a regime that will not be able to exist for a couple dozen centuries, a kingdom is established.

Vulcan (FridgeLogic)
Tech: [===|=======]
Cult: Syllabic Language, Kolinahr
-Metal forging is discovered and leads to a technological revolution of society, producing the first organized kingdom. Metal tools ranging from farm equipment to weapons of war enable the Vulcans to outmatch their neighbors.
-Surak, the first monarch of the Vulcan kingdom, has come to power, determined to unite the people of "his" island through conquest.
-The Kolinhar faith is organized under Surak, as he takes his political power to a religious level. Temples are ordered to be constructed in every settlement ruled by the king.
-A Saxon king to the north has challenge the Vulcan thrown, claiming that his people should rightfully rule his lands.

Angmar (WitchKing)
Govt: Oligarchy
Tech: [===|=======]
Cult: Fellowship Polytheism, Sign Language
-A princedom is established, with a select few ruling elite controlling the nation.
-The conquering armies spread the influence of Angmar to the east, and are challenged by a Rossiyan army attempting to place its claim on the same lands.
-Larger towns construct wooden palisades about them to defend from raiders.
-Taxes are levied upon crops, primarily grains, to store them for harsh times, such as winter.

Rossiya (RussianFedora)
Cult: Sylabic Language
-The army begins a slow march to the west, and encounters a foreign force that refuses to step out of the way.
-A common written language is formed, and the Rossiyan educators find it easier to document their teachings.
-Public school systems are set up for landowning males. Basic skills, such as arithmetic for tax paying and writing skills for tax documentation, are taught in these schools.
-Business buildings are taxed over residential areas, leading many to bring their work to home.
-Plumbing for sewage and fresh water movement has brief success in the capital, until a harsh winter hits and freezes all the pipes, breaking their fragile form after thawing.

Prometheus (Vlad)
Tech: [==========|]
-The Consuls of Prometheus decide that it is in their best interests to let Alexander have his way, and decide to surrender their loyalty to the Greeks.
-Alexander has decided to to send the Promethian armies south, to invade the Hebrew and Egyptian kingdoms there, as well as invading Persian lands to the eastern sea. These actions buy Alexander much valuable time as he can focus his warpath eastward.

Pimponari (PimpAbra)
Tech: [========|==]
Cult: Song Language, Musical Polytheism
-

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 08:23PM EST

Ming (MisterJ)
-A military conquest of island groups to the east and north begins.
-Ceramic bricks are being used to construct larger projects.
-Metal weapons are standardized. and aid the army in its conquests.
-Dogs are domesticated and bred for purposes ranging from war to goods hauling.

Cats (MadCat)
Tech: [=========|=]
Cult: Heaven's Mandate, Syllabic Language
-Worship of cats as divine figures lines up the Cats kingdom with Aegyptus, producing good cultural ties between the two. A handful of pyramids have been built on the banks of Lake Victoria.
-A doppelganger king is sent with the army southwards to boost their morale in combat as they march towards the Pimponari nation with malicious intent.
-The true king later departs with a second army northwards, leaving the kingdom under the rule of another doppelganger to prevent chaos.

Magwoli (TehBrawler)
Tech: [=|=========]
-A tribal nation emerges.
-An organized naval army is formed, although it is only with the stated purpose of defense.
-A patriarchal society has formed, with male dominated economic and military sectors. However, females control most of the social spheres of society, determining what is morally correct and acceptable. Often this holds enough weight to rule and trade by proxy through their husbands.
-Fish trade is booming. If you wanna make it big in Magwoli, you invest in fish. Villages gravitate towards being ports rather than inland cities.

Syserror (BSOD)
Tech: [========|==]
Cult: Syllabic Language, Softcrash Polytheism
-The Council shifts from age centric elections to land owners, with any person owning property now allowed to vote and partake in the republic's bureaucracy.
-Conquests to the south capture all of the New Zealandic islands.
-An uneasy alliance is forged with Sydney. Despite the volume of trade between the two, the cultural similarities and rumors of Sysserror's ambitions have led to fear that they may invade Sydney.
-Light metals are fused into the front of warships for ramming.

Mertola (RocketPropelledPanda)
Tech: [=====|=====]
Syllabic Language
-The army is reformed into smaller divisions titled Just, Deft, and Gone. Each having a purpose and training fit to its title.
-The well organized forces of Mertola begin tracing out a warpath eastward and southward, massacring and obliterating any nation that refuses to stand down to their might. Those that surrender to his might are given mercy, and incorporated as citizens of the empire on equal standing with the king's closest generals. This leads to swarms of primitive nations surrendering to his empire before the armies even glance in their direction.

Teclos (QuakerPerez)
Tech: [=======|===]
Cult: Latin Language, Spanoism
-Trading with the Romans has significantly boosted the technological power of Teclos.
-The king of Madrid has formed an army and begins unifying the local tribes through conquest and shrewd deals.
-The armies of Teclos are organized into warbands mimicking those of the Roman legions.
-The sport of bull running becomes quite popular.
-Teclosans begin displacing native Iberians, and the Spanish culture is nearly wiped off the face of the planet.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 08:02PM EST

pug on toast wrote:

Wait, so where our culture spreads, it's not automatically part of our nation, is that right?

No. That is just where people of your culture exists.

For example, Austrians are commonly considered Germanic, yet Austria is not part of the German nation today. It makes it easier for you to control those lands if they are similar to your people tho.

Cale wrote:

You drew it.

That wasn't my intention. I didn't even (and still don't) see the resemblance.
I can delete your nation if it offends you.

Syndic wrote:

That wasn't my intention. I didn't even (and still don't) see the resemblance.
I can delete your nation if it offends you.

Flip it upside down, then the area around the sea is… nevermind.

And you don't really have much patience, do you? I was noting something humorous.

Cale wrote:

Flip it upside down, then the area around the sea is… nevermind.

And you don't really have much patience, do you? I was noting something humorous.

Oh. A joke. I've heard of those before.
This is where I laugh:
Hahaha.
Okay joke over. That was fun.
Sorry for not getting it before.

By the way: flags will be introduced next turn. Have one ready for me, or describe it in your PM.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 08:19PM EST

Syndic wrote:

Oh. A joke. I've heard of those before.
This is where I laugh:
Hahaha.
Okay joke over. That was fun.
Sorry for not getting it before.

By the way: flags will be introduced next turn. Have one ready for me, or describe it in your PM.

B-b…But… why are so MEAN TO ME!?!?!?!?!?!? THERE'S NO NEED FOR THIS MEANNESS.

/runandcry

Anyway, I'll work on that flag.

A few people sent in separate PMs for flags. Regardless of how you send it, or if you sent it, you WILL have a flag next turn. I (or Brucker if he wants) will come up with something for you.

Dude that's awesome. But unfortunately a bit late.

My flag has already been decided :(

Oh well I suppose that flag would have been too questionable anyway. I'm trying to appeal to Sydney so I don't want them to think I am about to pillage and loot them at any moment…

…soon, Sydney…soon.

Last edited Dec 14, 2011 at 05:35AM EST

Brucker wrote:

Anyone need help designing a flag? I love making those things!

You can make one for me, all I did was use Gimp's bucket fill on a template. It wasn't very professional.

madcat wrote:

You can make one for me, all I did was use Gimp's bucket fill on a template. It wasn't very professional.

How's this?

[photo:217027]

The side pales I based on your color in the game, but it should be simple enough to change them if you don't like the look, because on a larger scale, it is sort of dull.

1) Flags will be resized to 100×50 dimentions, so don't get carried away with super small details.

2) Trade will be displayed as dotted lines between cities (there are no cities yet, but as world population grows there will be.

3) I'm working on the next turn right now, so if you haven't sent your PM in, it would behoove you to do so now.

Sup! You must login or signup first!