Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

If you were to have children, what would you raise them on?

Last posted Jun 05, 2012 at 06:40AM EDT. Added Jun 03, 2012 at 06:55AM EDT
37 posts from 35 users

I wont let him/her play Call of Duty, watch Family Guy or be a massive spoilt kid. Because most of them are, they are being violent and thinking they are above everything.
Believe it or not, I saw a bunch of kids around the age of 7/8 shouting curse words on the bus (It happens a lot around my area, it's annoying as hell.) but if you ask me, I don't think it's the kids fault, it most likely the way they're raised.

I'd buy them a SNES. Simultaneously not solely bring them up on the easy, instantly gratifying games of today which teaches them patience and and how great the old era of gaming was and is.

Music: I'd certainly have some Joe Satriani albums that I'd let them listen to. Maybe some Metallica, too. Mostly just their stuff from the 80s, but I'd probably get them some albums from the early 90s.

TV: I'd get them watching Mythbusters as soon as possible, and I'd likely add in Burn Notice at one point or another. I definitely wouldn't let them watch Family Guy or The Simpsons.

Games: I'd start them off with off road racers, DiRT, MX VS. ATV and the like. I'd slowly add in shooters, starting with less serious ones like Mercenaries; and air combat games like Ace Combat, Blazing Angels and Crimson Skies. However, I'd also include more serious one like Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, and eventually Crysis, Fallout and Mass Effect, among others. I would introduce the older Call of Duty games, the original and 2, possibly 3, at about the same time as I introduce them to GR. I wouldn't introduce the Modern Warfare series likely at all. Maybe CoD4, but not Black Ops or the later MW titles.

I feel like this is relevant, but not exactly the same thing as this thread.

I don't think I'd try to force much onto my kids. I hope that I still have the means to play the games I used to play and listen to the music I used to listen to, so if they see it and are interested, then great.

However, if I had a preference, I'd prefer them to have a crack at some simple, innocent, and fun games. I don't know how the world will change in 10 to 20 years, but if it is similar to the complex system loops and hurdles that it is for many adolescents and young adults, I'd want them to have something to get away from it for a bit. Healthy escapism.

• With that in mind, Kirby comes to mind. You can play a quick level or two. It's rarely extremely frustrating, and it has nice music.
  • I'd also like for them to play some light-hearted adventure games. I can't think of a better game than Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. As a teen, you're starting to feel like you're an adult (like I need to tell most of you that,) but you don't have a whole lot of autonomy yet. You're also confined to where you can go and explore. I feel like many Zelda games offer that, but I think Wind Waker is the best example of going out on an adventure as a cheery kid and not as some grizzled war veteran or something.
  • And I would hope that they'd be interested in games that require thought. As I hit on in the linked post, I think that this is a matter of personal interest, but I'd like for my kids to be able to analyze a situation and make good decisions. Fire Emblem comes to mind, because it's one of my favorite series. Not only do you have to plan your moves carefully, but it adds a sense of responsibility that some other games don't have. If you don't know about Fire Emblem, know that if a character of yours falls in combat, you often can't fight with them again. Often times, even secondary or minor characters play a major role in your strategy for a map. And then there are some characters, that you just don't want to die, because of the in-game relationships/friendships they'll make with other characters and the personal attachment you have with that character. Even though people around you IRL don't seem to serve a purpose, many may be very dear to you. And decisions you make (even though they may not be life-or-death situations) affect you and those people. However (for people who like turn-based strategy games,) Fire Emblem tends to be solid enough to make you want to keep trying.

As for television, I don't think there's too much from my childhood that I'll want them to watch. But I think most of it would be legendary sports matchups and documentaries, and maybe I'd like for them to see some fun cartoons when they're younger (or when they're grad students in their mid-twenties.)

As for music, Michael Jackson. They will hear Michael Jackson, simply because I'll be playing it in my quarters a good bit. If they hear something they like, then I hope they'll ask me more about it. I ask my dad about his tastes in music, which is how I came to enjoy some jazz (although I'm a little more progressive than he is in taste) and some older R&B/funk/soul.

I think some of it will happen just by living in the same household. However, I'd hope that they'd let me play, see, and listen to what they like as well. Even when I'm in my late 30's or early 40's (when I'd expect to have kids that are becoming adults,) I'd like to hope that I'd still be learning and finding new things to enjoy. I think it'd be neat to learn from someone young and cool (my kids will be young and cool, don't you know.)

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 02:01PM EDT

I would try to get them to be more artistic and imaginative then most children by getting them plenty of art supplies and letting him watch kid's shows that will help in those areas. I will try to keep them away from religious people, I would also try to get them into some sport, and have him try out various Nintendo type games.

I always believed a parent's job was to only support love,food, and protection, and help them make the best choices. I wouldn't want to force them to be like me, just be their own person. They could grow up to be horrible or amazing, but either way I'll still love them.

Well they won't make the same mistakes as me. Being a Feline and a Wizard is a difficult combination. Assuming they are Felines like myself, then they will be Rogues and Thieves and they will like it. Or at the very least, Sorcerer/Rogue Multi-Class. Wizarding is hard.

I would raise my child like my father raised me. Though I should learn from my dads various mistakes in life and avoid them myself. I would introduce my kid to my video games but not force him to like it.

There's more annoying then forcing your interest on a child(Sorry, I just needed to say that.)

But before I would get a son and/or daughter, I would make sure I have a stable job with some good money to keep the house. But I would also want to pursue my own interests and be an artist. But I would also need to make time for the children. And then I need to keep track of shit and then I would have to worry about bills and shit and then there feelings and--

You know what… Screw it. I'm not having a kid.

I don't really want children, but if I do have kids at any point, I think for the most part I'd let them be themselves as much as I can. If I have a little girl and she decides she wants to be Batman for Halloween then dammit she can be Batman. Or if I have a little boy and he wants to take dance class instead of baseball lessons (or some other sport) then so be it. I wouldn't want my kids to get wrapped up in society's roles for them. They can do and be whatever they want.

As for TV, I'd probably try to get them into stuff I was into, I have some cartoons I grew up on as a kid on DVD that I'd let them watch. Stuff like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. And of course Avatar and Legend of Korra (the fact that both shows came out when I am in my 20s is irrelevant, they're damn good shows). MLP: FiM would also be on the list, regardless of my child's gender. I'd try to steer them away from most stuff like Spongebob or some of the other junk that's on CN. They can watch stuff like Family Guy when they're teenagers.

Video games and music is harder to judge since it's constantly advancing and changing. I'd let them play stuff like Mario games, Zelda, Kirby, and whatnot. Stuff like MMOs and more violent games can wait. My kid won't be the cursing five-year-old on CoD, lol. When I was little I listened to the music my parents listened to (which was mostly classic rock), so my kid would probably do the same. As I got older I started picking my own music to like so I'd let them do so as well.

I'd try my best not to FORCE things on my kids, if they don't like something then so be it. Along with trying to give them freedom to choose, there will be things I'll have to say no to, of course, but I'd mostly try to be open and not control every second of their lives.

Food. And water.

I'm not going to even consider what I'm going to let them partake of and not partake of in the media, simply because I have no idea what's going to be available. However, I can tell you that I think it's pretty silly that you all are planning on using your children to continue to be fanboys. Children are not birthspawn that you can create in your likeness to be the purest form of geek; they are a serious commitment, and a true joy, and should be treated with love, individuality, and justice when needed.

I shall have twins…
Raise one to become filled with justice and pizza. Teach how to use duel guns
The other Might, power, and Pizza as well. Teach him the Shigure souen Sword style.
They both should be good at close range combat.
Watch a lot of anime as children especially fist of the north star.
Other various fighting things.
4chan, and KYM

The ground.
Because Cloudsdale is so mainstream in a Pegasi's perspective. Same with cloud houses.
You can't keep a secret research facility in a small cloud home…it would be freaking massive and people would get suspicious.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 04:30PM EDT

Herobrine wrote:

I wont let him/her play Call of Duty, watch Family Guy or be a massive spoilt kid. Because most of them are, they are being violent and thinking they are above everything.
Believe it or not, I saw a bunch of kids around the age of 7/8 shouting curse words on the bus (It happens a lot around my area, it's annoying as hell.) but if you ask me, I don't think it's the kids fault, it most likely the way they're raised.

This is it for the whole of Britain, if you ask me. -_-

Ann Hiro wrote:

I shall have twins…
Raise one to become filled with justice and pizza. Teach how to use duel guns
The other Might, power, and Pizza as well. Teach him the Shigure souen Sword style.
They both should be good at close range combat.
Watch a lot of anime as children especially fist of the north star.
Other various fighting things.
4chan, and KYM

You called?

Hrm.

Well for one thing, if they touch a shooting game before they are 16, I will probably ground my child for a week, due to irresponsibility and indecent exposure to violet themes.

Then again, if I do that, shooting games might be the reason my child will become a rebel, since he/she would always try to find ways to play the games in question.

So it is a big psychological decision.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!