Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,732 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Strategy Forum Game - Vote

Last posted Aug 23, 2012 at 06:03PM EDT. Added Aug 23, 2012 at 03:55PM EDT
7 posts from 7 users

I want to start a roleplay thread and GM a game, but I am having a hard time deciding which game to start. I have a few ideas, most of them I personally developed and played with friends when I was young. Usually the premise of these games was grand strategy, since we enjoyed conquering the world so much in Risk and A&A.
|
Here follow three of my favorites. I will describe them as they were in board game format, but note that I will use other media (ie: ms paint) to create the game board used in the RP. Please vote for one by stating so in this thread, especially if you have interest in playing. I will count the votes later and start a new thread. If you have any additional ideas regarding a grand strategy forum game, I would love to hear the suggestion.
|
1. Wartan: Inspired by a game of "Settlers of Catan" that was missing an instruction book and many pieces. We made up our own rules, and imported Risk pieces to the game. Eventually we rebuilt the game concept on a Go board with scrabble tiles for land. The premise is simple: you are a wealthy capitalist, and a new island rich with oil and precious metals has been discovered. Your goal is to accumulate more wealth than any other player colonizing the island by mining, drilling, and attacking other players before the volcano erupts, killing anybody left behind. This game involves a lot of numbers, and is more luck based than the other two.
|
2. Map Wars 1910: This game actually required no pieces to play. Just a map, and something to delineate borders, such as string or pins. Character sheets were drawn up for each European nation involved in the first world war. You would pick a country to play as, and invest stat points into them to determine how successful your actions in each field would be. National stats played out similar to regular RPG stats, such as atk. def. dex. etc. but were tailored to national roleplay. Things such as manpower, economic development, and technology would influence the outcome of dice rolls related to each stat. This game involves a lot more reading and writing than the other two, as I expect each player to justify their actions and communicate their intentions via in-character story posts.
|
3. Riskopoly: Not really much like Monopoly at all. Every province on the Risk map could be upgraded with houses, hotels, and factories, with a limit to how many buildings you could construct in any one province. Axis & Allies pieces were then purchased with the money you made, and placed on factory provinces. Enemy provinces could be invaded, and their improvements razed to the ground. We had drawn in lines for sea provinces to allow for naval warfare, although most of the time we stuck to just utilizing land pieces instead. This game would play out the most like an actual board game on the forum.

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!