Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,731 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Your opinion on...

Last posted Dec 08, 2012 at 02:14AM EST. Added Nov 04, 2012 at 10:06PM EST
84 posts from 48 users

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

Now, next page…
Since Gangnam Style by PSY has finally hit 800,000,000 views (the view count is not yet refreshed) and is soon to top Baby by Justin Bieber (the video is only still at 803,000,000 views, I want to here your opinions on Psy and his song Gangnam Style.

New page's opinion on:
Gangnam Style

This alone validates it.

I'll add more later. I might suggest breaking the topic pages in half. Otherwise you might end up short like you almost did this time. But you did get to 48/50, so maybe you won't have to.

Gangnam Style is a subpar song, ecspecially from PSY (I listened to them before Gangnam Style). I find it absolutely awful that mainstream society picked up on it, even moreso because nobody even knows what it's about – the just associate it with being cool and swag because of the music video and humping of the ladies. 0/10 had potential but was ruined.

I absolutely love Gangnam Style. The song and the meme. I don't care if it went mainstream, because, like most things I don't like on the Internet, I can choose to ignore what I don't like.

Actually, I don't know what the song or video is about, but I listen to the song itself, because it's catchy. I don't think you have to have a full understanding of a song to enjoy it. I think that you could enjoy it if you let yourself, especially since you liked PSY before this (meme elitism.)

As for the memetic aspect of it, like I said before, I love that too. I don't care for the parody videos, but I've loved the images coming from it. I haven't seen it enough for it to bother me yet.

HERE'S AN IDEA: Gangnam Style may be the key to World Peace.

Ten years ago, Gangnam Style would have been pretty popular in Korea, but then died out. A K-Pop rapper would NEVER EVER have made it big in the USA.

The internet allowed it to cross borders. It's a catchy, fun, and enjoyable song/music video. The internet allowed it to become international. Everyone worldwide loved Gangnam Style.

Whether we like it or not, the internet in general is becoming more and more mainstream. And as it does, borderlines will become increasingly invisible. Once we view ourselves as just one big culture, will we still fight wars?

Leave your responses in the comments, and if you haven't subscribed yet… you can do that.

Oh wait, it is now the MOST VIEWED VIDEO ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

Wow, guys. How do you feel to have a video that becomes the most liked and the most viewed video in 6 months in existence and having witnessed such an event?

I went and viewed Gangnam style just now, as if to seal the deal on it's ascending to God of Youtube

It doesn't matter what I think of it, I'm now just proud that it finally dethroned JB and I congratulate Psy.

But yea, Gangnam style was never my type of music so I ignored it at first. My first comment on it was on a version that removes the music and I said it sounded better.

Everyone negabombed me

That's when I realized how incredibly popular it is. I had to find out why so I started learning why it was so appreciated. Starting with the fact that it's more of a parody of music today and people resonated with that. It's also uses all the tricks in the book to be as catchy as possible. Throw in a dancing Korean comedian and it was like a perfect hook. Plus it's just a fun sounding song. As Psy stated himself, it's a song that just tries to be fun and achieves that fun factor better than most others

It's still not my thing but I think I understand what's great about it

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

My opinion to Gangnam Style:
5/10 neutral

Now what's your opinion on modern cartoons?
>inb4 ponies, adventure time and homestuck

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 09:11PM EST

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

Gangnam Style is a subpar song, ecspecially from PSY (I listened to them before Gangnam Style). I find it absolutely awful that mainstream society picked up on it, even moreso because nobody even knows what it's about – the just associate it with being cool and swag because of the music video and humping of the ladies. 0/10 had potential but was ruined.

I couldn't help but picture this while reading that comment.

Anyways, I think the song is catchy. I haven't heard it enough that it annoys me, so I still enjoy it. As for the popularity, I am happy for him. I don't care if the mainstream like him personally. I don't feel the same hatred for the mainstream as others.

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 09:15PM EST

@Grievous

You're probably getting downvoted, because Lone K. wanted us to stay on topic until the page ends. It's not up to us to change it.

@Dac

I feel that way a lot. I don't think something is bad because it goes mainstream. Perhaps they are often people who don't know the in's and out's of the meme, but I don't think that it somehow ruins it.

I get the feeling that people in more mainstream society often shun those who end up online, so Web Culture comes to resent the mainstream regardless of what the extra attention brings about. It's truly meme elitism.

I think it's unfortunate. A lot of good and interesting things come from the mainstream if you can pick through it and ignore the stuff you don't like.

@Dac:
It's funny because hipster=underground
And I'm a dinosaur.
So that's also underground.
Because fossils.
So yeah.

@verbose
Couldn't agree more. Heck, I'd say my tastes can be pretty mainstream.
Hopefully the mainstream stick with psy and he isn't just a one hit wonder.
@Wsxdas
Besides the odd archaeopteryx or small gliding dinosaur, the flying reptiles(pterosaurs) aren't considered dinosaurs.

>TFW arriving too late to give my opinion on 4chan

But seriously though, I’m fairly neutral on Gangnam Style.

I first heard about it from a couple of my friends. Keep in mind that I don’t normally listen to K-pop, and I didn’t take my friends to be listeners to it either, so I was intrigued when I one of them singing the chorus to a song I hadn’t heard of and didn’t think made much sense (at the time, I thought it was just gibberish like Chacarron Macarron rather than a foreign language).

So, a couple of days later, I heard from a different friend about this “awesome new song” called Gangnam Style. I asked for a brief summary on it, and got it from him: it was a Korean rap song. Now, this is where my interest in psychology kicked in. I wondered, “Why would an average American teenager be interested in a song and video that isn’t in English, and supposedly doesn't have any grounds or influence in Western culture?” (I was later proven wrong about that second part.)

I decided to shelf my psychoanalytic and behaviorist instincts for later, and rather than attempting to arrive at a conclusion in my mind, I just decided that it would make more sense to watch the video on my phone so that I could arrive at a conclusion based off of my firsthand experience with the song.

The video was comical in my opinion, but I didn’t particularly like the song. It’s just not really the type of music I’m interested in, and I’ve run countless psychoanalytic tests on myself, but still haven’t arrived at a clear conclusion as to why. I guess that I just have stringent taste in music, although I think that behavioral and possibly genetic factors might play a role in that. Do you ever get the feeling you’re missing something obvious?

My focus strayed a little bit during my next lecture, and I scrawled a couple of notes more messily than I’d like because I was thinking about something else: Gangnam Style. I had noticed the view count on the video, and thought about how it managed to break the culture barrier like it did.

Now, I’m one of those guys that doesn’t believe anything unless I can clearly map it out in my mind. (I once spent 45 uninterrupted minutes figuring out why I liked ponies so much, but that’s a different story for a different thread.) I took a couple of whacks at Gangnam Style’s popularity factor(s), and noticed that it had a couple of stylistic elements that could have appealed to Western civilization.

The second thing, at the risk of stating the obvious: it was catchy. I don’t think you can go very deep with that. It’s just a catchy song. I don’t personally like it very much, but I realize that.

I finally realized that if you want to like Gangnam Style, you just have to let yourself like it. That goes for the song, the video and the meme. Like Verbose, I think that this meme hasn’t been forced down my throat yet. It’s exploded, nobody could argue about that, but not to the point where it’s annoying.

I don’t want to say that I’m any further behind in my hypothesis and research now that it’s the #1 most viewed video on YouTube. I think that it proves my points, but to an extreme, and it has to be an international phenomena. I suspect that the USA as a country is the song’s biggest fan, but other countries and individual people love it just as much.

(I know I made a blanket statement. I don’t normally do that, but in this case I did.)

Yes, there’s no doubt that the Internet allowed it to cross borders. That’s what I was getting at above. And I do think that what is mainstream and what isn’t plays a role in what some easily influenced people enjoy, because of societal normalities.

I congratulate PSY for what he did, and think that now that he’s experienced what he has, and the Internet and mainstream culture is so aware of him, his song and what he’s capable of building off of that, he’s likely going to be a LOT more popular. I think the mainstream and the Internet will stick with PSY. And I certainly don't give a shit about that.

I enjoy that song slightly, it's very catchy and is not as bad as 'Call Me Maybe'. It's upbeat and techno, I like that in some songs but I'd rather have a different melody that this one honestly. Gangnam Style is not my favorite but is a good one. It's a good song in my opinion. Also, PSY is a great song-writer and he has good songs and this song made him gain a lot of popularity so I feel happy for that person.

However, I dislike the people who say Gangnam Style or anything related everywhere, and a lot of it's fanbase consists of younger audiences that like to 'spread the word'. I have nothing wrong with it but the just keep posting and posting about this song and it gets on my nerves.

I enjoy Gangnam Style, but not too much.

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 11:58PM EST

@Verbose and Dac and the subject of Gangnam hate

While you guys are talking about why people are taking a hard stance against Gangnam style, I thought you might be interested in noting the parallels between Gangnam hate and Pony hate (not to deviate the topic towards that subject)

Common Gangnam complaints I have heard people say (NOTE: Not my own opinions):

• "It's everywhere and I cannot get away from it"
  • "It's immature/cheesy"
  • "I don't understand this/it makes no sense"
  • "I am simply not into this sort of thing/Pop is too mainstream"
  • "People are forcing it onto me"
  • "It's getting old"
  • "The choreography is sub-par"

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Common Pony complaints I have heard people say:

• "It's everywhere and I cannot get away from it"
  • "It's childish and immature"
  • "I don't understand this/it makes no sense"
  • "It's for little girls/homosexuals"
  • "People are rubbing it in my face"
  • "It's getting old"
  • "The writing is sub-par"

I'd say the biggest reason for noticing these parallels is the first complaint: It's everywhere, and this is being considered a negative for both aspects. Very often do people get annoyed by overexposure and often that leads to people looking for more reasons to hate something once they have decided that it is overexposed.

Last edited Nov 25, 2012 at 01:57AM EST

I will change the thread rules.

When the amount of posts hits half-way, as Verbose suggests, the person with the 25th post of every page changes/adds a topic for the page. The 50th post picks the next topic and clears out the topics on the page that has just been filled up.
(Ex: Gangnam Style is the topic for this page, the 25th user on the page can choose to add or change the topic for the page. So someone may change the topic completely or add another topic to talk about ON TOP OF the topic already being discussed.)

The 2nd post after my comment gets to pick or add another topic for the page.

Dac wrote:

@verbose
Couldn't agree more. Heck, I'd say my tastes can be pretty mainstream.
Hopefully the mainstream stick with psy and he isn't just a one hit wonder.
@Wsxdas
Besides the odd archaeopteryx or small gliding dinosaur, the flying reptiles(pterosaurs) aren't considered dinosaurs.

Who do you trust more, some dorky scientists and their "classifications" or a real dinosaur? Yeah, I thought so.

Gangnam Style was fun overall. It's popularity may be blown way out of proportion but hey, it's by far not the most obnoxious thing that has done that. And cheesy k-pop music video just beat what I was referring to.
--

Next Topic: The starting of the next generation of home video game consoles has just launched (in North America anyways), so now with the Wii U taking it's first steps, what do you want or expect the future of gameing to be?

Last edited Nov 25, 2012 at 04:54AM EST

Well then. This is an interesting question.

The starting of the next generation of home video game consoles has just launched (in North America anyways), so now with the Wii U taking it’s first steps, what do you want or expect the future of gameing to be?

Personally, I don’t think that the Wii U is really “revolutionary.” It certainly does lend itself as evidence of the progression in the video game console industry, but I don’t think there’s anything particularly important about it in that it’s so special that it is “revolutionary.” It supports high-definition graphics, which is good, and something that I think Nintendo should have gotten to a long time ago. Unfortunately for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have both had high-definition capability in their consoles for a while. So, in that respect, I don’t think Nintendo has moved ahead in universal standards so much as they have arrived. The GamePad seems a little bit like a novelty, and reminds me of typical handheld gaming devices. It’s also got the Pro Controller, which features a much more traditional design. It feels too much unlike what Nintendo had led its consumers to expect with the Wii though, so I’m not sure how to feel about that. I was never involved really with my Wii, though, so take that as you will.

Sony and Microsoft should arrive to the party around 2013, and I’m quite looking forward to seeing what they have to release. There are plenty of rumors floating around about the Xbox 720 and the PlayStation 4, more than enough to keep things interesting while we wait. The downside, of course, is that there are too many stories making their way across the Internet to be able to tell, or make an intelligent guess as to, which things to believe and which ones to ignore, so I’m currently in the camp of “nothing is true until announced as true.” So I can’t give much in the way of those two consoles in terms of factuality, but I can give my best guesses:

I saw on IGN that the Xbox 720 would also be releasing two versions, just like the Wii U did. But the two versions will be different. One is supposed to be more or less what one would expect from Microsoft’s Xbox line of consoles, while the other one is for the more casual market, and is projected to be more affordable. In addition, the second one is supposedly not going to be able to “play the latest titles.” But it will have Xbox Live capability, of course.

Of course, keep in mind that there has been no official announcement about the Xbox 720. I don’t like to believe third-party sources unless they have a history of credibility and their reasoning makes sense to me. IGN has never been really off the base before, at least as far as I know. But their two-console-release plan seems a little bit radical to me, considering that they don’t know how successful the Wii U will be in the long run, assuming they want to conform to standards now set by Nintendo. Consumers base their product choices on those of other humans; the same is true for a very large amount of things. So let’s say that the Wii U doesn’t do well in the long run. Microsoft wouldn’t be able to expect the long-term profitability that the Xbox 360 has managed to provide them over the years, possibly because of the brand (I think that Nintendo’s Wii appeals more to the general public than Microsoft’s Xbox 360 does), but because of the idea. Nintendo’s idea was original enough, I think. If that product does poorly, it could be because it was made poorly, or it could be because the idea was bad. I don’t think that this will be the case, though. I was never really impressed with the Wii to begin with, but knowing Nintendo, they have creative ideas (most of the time), and their products are generally well-made, knowing to whom they are supposed to appeal.

Does the name “Nintendo” sound better to the consumer body than “Microsoft”? Could be. Nintendo does have a prominent reputation in the video game industry, after all, and they’re veterans in comparison to their competitors. Don’t disregard this argument, for people will do something if they like the idea of what they’re doing, or see something as a benefit. In fact, they’ll do something if they approve of any part of it, leading back to what I said I like to analyze in my introductory posts: things exactly like that. In other words, people trust the brand they’re buying. Do you only buy one brand of milk or bread or whatever, because you trust that brand or have heard good things about it? In the video game industry, that’s both oftentimes the case and quite important to sales, much more important than I would have thought it to be.

All in all, I’m willing to trust IGN to a certain extent about what they say about the Xbox 720. I haven’t been following the PS4 rumors as much recently, because there is a dizzying amount of noise circling the video game consumer body involving the PS4. Keep in mind that we don’t have much to go on regarding the 720 either, so I couldn’t have less of a clue that it might be similar to the Wii U. They could be planning to break new mold and start an entirely new market; a business choice that is always risky, but can be very rewarding. I think if they choose to go the path of the Wii U, it would be plausible for the PS4 to do the same or something similar, because being the black sheep in the video game industry has a history of not working out.

Let’s say that the PS4 decides to do something totally different. All things considered, I think that the PS3 is a fine system. Sony has high standards to live up to with their new release, and the heat surrounding the new generation of consoles only adds pressure. I don’t think any of the three are going away anytime soon, but as we (hopefully) advance further down the road in the industry, it can’t be expected for everybody to keep with the curve. More often than not, that does not happen.

I think that Sony will try something new with the PS4. They sort of have to. The PS3 has made them a good amount of money, but they’re quite behind the 360 (or, they were, the last time I checked) in sales terms. It won’t help them to see their competitors marketing their products as being “all new” or the like, while they have a more hollow advertising campaign to run on. Once a few websites report about that kind of thing (it’s bound to happen), the PS4 becomes viewed as obsolete in the eyes of the Internet.

Just like with music, television, film and a wide variety of things, the Internet plays a massive role in shaping the mainstream outlook on video game consoles and releases. Bad press from the Internet means bad mainstream press for Sony. So they’re pressured to come up with something good, and they realize that. This is why I think they might take their chances with something new.

Now, Sony isn’t AS big a name in video games as Nintendo or Microsoft in the modern era (by “modern”, I mean from the release of the current console generation to the present day). So they don’t have that massive reputation to fall back on. Actually, I revise that statement. They do have quite the reputation to fall back on, but not enough name recognition for people to care. If Nintendo makes a shit console, it doesn’t matter as much because people know Nintendo well enough to like them anyway, and it will still sell. This isn’t the case with Sony. That’s sort of a flawed argument, because I haven’t done my research on sales and development, so do not quote me on that.

In terms of upcoming releases, I think that things will continue to trend the way they have been going. Successful franchises will continue making games like they do now, because it’s what sells. A few developers will be willing to try new things, some games will sell and get good reviews, some will get bad reviews and not sell as well. I have no credibility to get into specifics about that.

In consoles, I think that the companies will progress forward (maybe some more than others), and that sales will likely not spike drastically when the new consoles are released. I think that the companies will experience around the same sales, just with an updated generation of consoles, because how different can you get?

This is probably not going to be my final word on the subject. I need to look into sales and development of past generations and games so that I can revise any incorrect assessments I may have made.

The future of gaming?
That's in the hands of the future games like Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (in the near future, also called next year or the year after), Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, something that isn't an FPS for once, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Dead Space 3, and (probably one of the most highly anticipated games) Deadpool.

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

Aw, buttfucking damn it, YouTube.

Here's a good topic:

Your opinion on…

the WHOLE redesign of YouTube.

I hate it, but I'll probably get used to it…eventually. I really wish they'd warn people before they change the layout.

Well, we're likely to see the complete loss of consoles and physical video games within our lifetime, as they get rolled up into a unitool phone/computer hooked up to the cloud with available ap/game purchases online.

That, and likely neural interfacings.

@Consoles and gaming

The topic has moved on so I'll let Kris have the last word on that. Looks like he pretty much summed up everyone's thoughts in one post.

@Youtube

Looks to me like a slight redesign in button controls but navigation, style and function do not appear to be that different.

It looks a bit cleaner, I like it. They've also made use of the left hand whitespace for a channel menu. I'm okay with this.

The rest of you will get over it as you usually do. Developers make so many behind-the-scenes changes to websites which you never notice and appreciate. This happens so often that they feel no obligation to warn anybody for any change at all.

Last edited Dec 07, 2012 at 12:17AM EST

When I first got the update, I had the usual reaction of "FUCK, THEY RUINED IT!"

About 5 minutes later though I'd gotten used to it. I'm not sure how I feel about seeing avatars in the comments section, but just about everything else they've done only appears to be a cosmetic change, and a fairly good one at that. I really like what they've done with the player.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!