Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

How you your pronounce ".gif"?

Last posted Mar 29, 2010 at 11:43AM EDT. Added Feb 17, 2010 at 04:01PM EST
31 posts from 18 users

I was talking to my friend, and said that I forgot to send someone a .gif.

He started laughing, and said that I pronounced it wrong. He pronounces it "gif" as in gift, while I pronounce it "jiff" as in "choosy moms choose jiff, cuz it's effin delicious"

How do you guys pronounce it? Just wonderin'.

Yeah, I pronounce it as "jiff". I don't really care if it really is "gif" as I personally think "jiff" sounds better. Besides, that's how everybody I know pronounces it.

Still on topic, here's a little anecdote about a friend of mine that just makes saying .gif as "jiff" all the better. Basically, a friend of mine named Jeff saved a picture of himself as jeff.gif and I just found that hysterical. He wasn't aware of what he had done until later after explaining it to him. Now, I always sign his name as "Gif". It's okay though, he doesn't seem to mind at all.

And finally, we have an end to the .gif pronunciation debate. I found this nifty little website which explains how "jiff" is the proper pronunciation for the file format:

http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/

/thread

But, then again, it doesn't really matter how one pronounces the "word". No matter the pronunciation, all variations are still understood. There really is no point in starting a pointless flame war over it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!