Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,775 total conversations in 9,945 threads

+ New Thread

KYM, give me book recommendations!

Last posted Feb 12, 2011 at 05:53AM EST. Added Jan 08, 2011 at 10:11AM EST
29 posts from 22 users

I liek horror, but with no sexual content because I am sophisticated. I also like comedy. And dystopian sci-fi. ('-' )

Do you mind dystopian sci-f with sexual content? I can guarantee it's still sophisticated. I would highly recommend The Handmaid's Tale or Brave New World. For horror, I would recommend Misery by Stephen King.

Alfie's home, it teaches your children that just because they're molested, i doesnt mean they're QUEERS FAGGOTS OR SODOMITES And that you must forgive your abuser and not press charges against him.

Last edited Jan 08, 2011 at 11:35AM EST

Doc wrote:

Do you mind dystopian sci-f with sexual content? I can guarantee it's still sophisticated. I would highly recommend The Handmaid's Tale or Brave New World. For horror, I would recommend Misery by Stephen King.

In my opinion Stephen King's best works are the ones that contain very little in the way of supernatural horror. It simply can't compare to run-of-the-mill everyday natural horror. Therefore, in addition to Misery, I highly recommend Hearts in Atlantis, Dolores Claiborne, Gerald's Game, and Cujo.

If you're really bored and want to read my rantings on this subject, click here.

Desperation by Stephen King
Relic by Douglas Preston
Pulse Jeremy Robinson
Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

Those are the best horror/scifi stories that I can thing of at the moment that you might not have read yet.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspingasjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjfffffffffffffffffffffffffffdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Tons of people have seen the movie, but the book is just as good (and longer) so I suggest:

Actually, I think the movie was horrible compared to the books. And I second "Of Mice and Men" and "The curious incident…"

CjayS wrote:

Actually, I think the movie was horrible compared to the books. And I second "Of Mice and Men" and "The curious incident…"

All a matter of opinion I guess, the book's humor is a bit too british for me, thus I didn't get most of it. (If I whent back and re-read the seires right now, I probably will get it more.)

I fully recommend His Dark Materials trilogy:

WARNING: NOT SUITABLE FOR ROMAN CATHOLICS AND CHILDREN UNDER 15 (THEY WILL NOT GET THE ENDING OF BOOK 3)

Last edited Jan 10, 2011 at 02:50PM EST

CjayS wrote:

The movie was decent enough. The thing is, there are so many different versions of Hitchhikers Guide, I'm guessing most people will disagree on which one is the best. I actually used to own an official towel.

If you can read through the whole series (including the fourth book "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" which many people have a very low opinion concerning) I've always felt that the fifth book was a masterpiece.

Brucker wrote:

The movie was decent enough. The thing is, there are so many different versions of Hitchhikers Guide, I'm guessing most people will disagree on which one is the best. I actually used to own an official towel.

If you can read through the whole series (including the fourth book "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" which many people have a very low opinion concerning) I've always felt that the fifth book was a masterpiece.

I have all the books in one big book, but its so old that any day now it might rip. :(

ManWithGoodTaste wrote:

I fully recommend His Dark Materials trilogy:

WARNING: NOT SUITABLE FOR ROMAN CATHOLICS AND CHILDREN UNDER 15 (THEY WILL NOT GET THE ENDING OF BOOK 3)

The Golden Compass…*COUGH*Thenothernlights*COUGH*

That being said, I effing love these books. They are definitely some of the best around.

Last edited Feb 12, 2011 at 05:54AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!