Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

DoS/DDoS Attacks

Last posted Dec 13, 2011 at 04:18AM EST. Added Dec 12, 2011 at 07:48PM EST
4 posts from 3 users

I'll put this in laymans terms as best as I can.

A DDOS attack is simple: Flood a server with more requests than it can handle.

If a server struggles to deliver data to hundreds of thousands of simultaneous users it just gives up and goes offline.

Anonymous loves using this tactic in order to shut down websites that Anon doesn't like. All they have to do is round up enough members of the internet to actively use a server and give it thousands upon thousands of actions to perform until the server quits

Or of they lack numbers, there are scripts and software that exists to spam numerous requests to servers.

While some DDOS attacks are carried out by masses, they can also be carried out an army of PC Viruses controlled by a single hacker.

Ever heard of Botnets? That's what they are: masses of ordinary home computers owned by your cousin and your grandparents, each one infected with a hidden software program that obeys the commands of one man. That one man can then send an order to all your computers to attack a server in mass and shut it down without you even knowing about it

That's just the basics based on what I learned during my Postgrad, there more to it.

Heres the wiki for more info

Last edited Dec 12, 2011 at 09:58PM EST

I want to expand on the goal a little just because…idk. Well while you flood it for request you aren't looking for anything back. The server keeps sending the information you requested, but you keep requesting more. This in turn uses up a lot of bandwidth and the goal is to make the server exceed what it is allotted. If this is accomplished the website is given the denial-of-service hence the name of the attack. This won't work on sites like google and amazon though because they have "unlimited bandwidth." The goal with bigger sites like that is to tie up hardware like CPUs and make the websites slow. There is so much more to these topics, but this hopefully covered most of the basics.

Exactly what EFP said.

Although it would still be possible to stall Google and Amazon with enough requests. It would just take an impossible amount to flood their powerful servers.

The processors handling Google currently handles the entire planet using it for search requests so good luck finding more spam than it can handle.

Plus thanks to their unlimited bandwidth as EFP mentioned, Google would just be back up again in the next minute if it ever went down

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 04:18AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!