Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Does the band, Gorillaz count for a meme(subculture, person, ect.)?

Last posted Sep 26, 2012 at 04:54PM EDT. Added Sep 25, 2012 at 08:52PM EDT
7 posts from 5 users

Gorillaz really base on the internet and it has sparked a meme or two. I really don't know where to start on making a page, but one thing is, " Should Gorillaz even have a page?"
I don't want to make something and have it be a waste of space and time for others.

Well… I can think of the Demon Days cover knockoffs, but nothing else is coming to mind. I'm a huge fan of Gorillaz, but I'm not 100% sure if they need an article because the unspoken rule is (I think) for a subculture to have 3 memetic derivatives. Unless there's a few I've forgotten, I don't know if it would be a great idea… If, however, there are two more or so, I would be happy to help you with the entry!

Question is, do they have any notable impact on internet culture? Would Gorillaz be what they are today without the internet?

The problem with Gorillaz is that they're a mainstream band. Even without the internet, they would still get attention. Bands like Nickelback get entries because bashing Nickelback is almost mandatory these days. Gorillaz doesn't have something like that.

RandomMan wrote:

Question is, do they have any notable impact on internet culture? Would Gorillaz be what they are today without the internet?

The problem with Gorillaz is that they're a mainstream band. Even without the internet, they would still get attention. Bands like Nickelback get entries because bashing Nickelback is almost mandatory these days. Gorillaz doesn't have something like that.

That's wrong, though.

The Gorillaz came to prominence just BECAUSE they were an entirely virtual band, made up entirely on the internet.

Their following derives from their online presence, from what I know.

They definitely should have an entry.

Chris wrote:

That's wrong, though.

The Gorillaz came to prominence just BECAUSE they were an entirely virtual band, made up entirely on the internet.

Their following derives from their online presence, from what I know.

They definitely should have an entry.

I'll trust you on this. You know a lot more on music than me.

So go ahead OP, you can make an entry.

Last edited Sep 26, 2012 at 01:06PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!