Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

"You Had One Job"

Last posted Feb 15, 2013 at 03:53PM EST. Added Jan 15, 2013 at 07:12PM EST
10 posts from 7 users

I think this thread is worth bumping. We had ONE thread.

Since then, I've seen a lot more of this phrase, generally used to draw attention to fails and the like. More recent Google Trends show a sharp peak followed by a more steady increase in the months after the last thread we had about this. In addition to all the evidence of spread in Olivia's post, there's a Facebook page founded way back on October first that now has 46,355 likes as of writing. A Youtube upload from September of the Ocean's Eleven scene Opspe mentioned has a little over 3,000 views, and that appears to be the earliest use in anything that's made it to YouTube.

In addition to the imgur album in OP, I found this one that's several months older and much more viewed. It was submitted to reddit on April 30, 2012, and has 3,396 upvotes and 972 points overall. However, the title has "Compilation" in it and there are comments asking where the phrase is from since they've heard it so much, so the reddit post isn't the origin.

This one (yes, 9gag) is from ten months ago, but I can't find a specific date because I don't know how to 9gag. But that appears to be the oldest example.

One of the more notable trends I'm seeing is its frequent crossing over with Shit Tyrone, get it together

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03PM EST

That was the one on 9gag I linked to. I found it posted as a demotivational poster here.

This was posted on April 2, 2011. The original "Only Josh" picture dates back to at least May 2009, according to this post.

So, whadd'ya reckon? Article? I can start work on one tomorrow.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 01:35AM EST

ExudesAffluence wrote:

That was the one on 9gag I linked to. I found it posted as a demotivational poster here.

This was posted on April 2, 2011. The original "Only Josh" picture dates back to at least May 2009, according to this post.

So, whadd'ya reckon? Article? I can start work on one tomorrow.

>KYM User
>9Gag

L33T wrote:

>KYM User
>9Gag

That's the oldest example I can find, like it or not. Just because 9gag is guilty of stealing content, and I acknowledge that they do, doesn't mean that they don't have a legitimate userbase that could potentially make something memetic. It's already been shown that the "Only Josh" picture had spread around, so yes, it's a reupload, but the entry is concerned with the phrase "You had one job," and so far this is the earliest instance of that phrase in that context. Find an earlier example, and you can say whatever you want about 9gag.

ExudesAffluence wrote:

That's the oldest example I can find, like it or not. Just because 9gag is guilty of stealing content, and I acknowledge that they do, doesn't mean that they don't have a legitimate userbase that could potentially make something memetic. It's already been shown that the "Only Josh" picture had spread around, so yes, it's a reupload, but the entry is concerned with the phrase "You had one job," and so far this is the earliest instance of that phrase in that context. Find an earlier example, and you can say whatever you want about 9gag.

The "Only Josh" picture in your post may be from 9gag, but the first instance of the "you had one job" phrase seems to be the one in Dons image.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!