Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,829 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

The wise guy is meme?

Last posted Aug 01, 2009 at 02:17AM EDT. Added Jul 29, 2009 at 12:48AM EDT
15 posts from 7 users

pictures where a meme talks very proper old English..

and he has a hat and a one-eye glasses.

if its out there already tell me how's call.

but if not, it should be a meme, but that feeds of other memes…

a meme parasite?

You mean like the variation of "Orly?" where they photoshop'd a top hat and monocle onto the bird and then he's talking all proper like? Don't know. Probably not. Could you post a few examples of what you're talking about?

This "wise guy" you're referring to occurs within other memes, but I wouldn't call it a meme in its own right.

The top hat and monocle are key components of the stereotype of a late 19th century upper-class gentleman. This stereotype gained mainstream recognition through the editorial cartoons of newspapers and advertising of the time.

Mr. Peanut, the mascot for Planter's Peanuts has appeared with a top hat and cane since 1916.

I'm not sure exactly of when the top hat and monocle fell out of vogue, but the use of such a character for satirical purposes never really left. To call this an Internet Meme just seems to me like it places credit in the wrong place.

I like where you're going with this, Blubber.

I could imagine a meme entry similar to "Extreme Advertising" dedicated to highlighting memetic instances of a verbose or garrulous nature. I'm thinking we ought to call it The Verbosity Metameme since it tends to appear as a single instance (or small grouping of instances) within many other memes.

Nice one Richie!
I never would have thought to search ED for the word verbose. It's reassuring to know we reached the same conclusion about what's going on here.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!