Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,829 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

Bekasi

Last posted Oct 19, 2014 at 07:59AM EDT. Added Oct 11, 2014 at 10:43AM EDT
15 posts from 10 users

There's been a new meme spawn in Indonesia media, it's basically says that Bekasi (a Indonesia city) is a very hot place or Bekasi is not from earth. I don't where exactly the point of spread (I suspect meme komik). The big question is, Does it qualify as meme if it from indonesia? or this site only accept western meme?

Here's some example:

Indonesian here and I've seen it spread in social media.

IMHO, if it spread it can be a meme. But as I see it now, this is just an in joke for Indonesian and I think will begin to fade after a few weeks. If other people can't find the humor from the joke, it won't spread and I doubt people outside Indonesia will try to learn the facts behind the joke itself.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Indonesian able to make and share internet culture with the rest of the world.

Indonesian memes are always rather weak and more like injokes. Most of which will probably fade after a short time. They're also very cringeworthy as most of them are just trying to copy image macros and advice animals in an attempt to be funny.

Also, Indonesians don't know how memes actually work. I have a friend in Facebook who likes to "Make" memes for a meme facebook group.

Also, Indonesians don’t know how memes actually work. I have a friend in Facebook who likes to “Make” memes for a meme facebook group.

In my experience that's how most of Facebook thinks memes work. I don't think its specific to Indonesians.

Tchefuncte Bonaparte wrote:

Also, Indonesians don’t know how memes actually work. I have a friend in Facebook who likes to “Make” memes for a meme facebook group.

In my experience that's how most of Facebook thinks memes work. I don't think its specific to Indonesians.

You should know that most indonesians visit 9gag as their source of memes.

Tchefuncte Bonaparte wrote:

no foreigner country outside of america except for canada, england and japan know how memes work except for the usual minority.

so its more of a cultural thing

Last edited Oct 14, 2014 at 12:53PM EDT

James Blunt wrote:

no foreigner country outside of america except for canada, england and japan know how memes work except for the usual minority.

so its more of a cultural thing

What-the-fuck-am-I-reading.png

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!