Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Units of Measurement

Last posted Jan 02, 2010 at 08:14PM EST. Added Jan 02, 2010 at 10:48AM EST
5 posts from 3 users

Things like "+9001 internets" or "I lol'd buckets". I'm to sleepy to think of more, but shouldn't they be documented somehow? What is an "internet"? How much is a "bucket"? Just how much win is in an "epic" win?

Parent entry: Internet units of measurement

Sub entries: buckets, etc.

sorry for badly worded post, just woke up.

"Buckets" as an idiomatic part of speech implying "a lot" or "tons" is older than the internet.

It might be worthwhile to track down where the practice of awarding internets to eachother came from, since that's a piece of information that can be verified. But trying to nail it down as a discrete unit of measurement involves making things up, and that's not something we allow into the Confirmed section.

As for Epic, I think the popular opinion holds that most people overuse the word Epic all too often. Plenty of instances of "Epic Win" declarations seem to be more enthusiastic about using the phrase itself rather than for the act which they are declaring is Epic.

I have a 12 year old niece who I heard say "Epic Fail" about 10 times in a single game of pool. I wouldn't say that every shot that her brother missed was epic. In fact, they were pretty much unremarkable.

Abstract concepts don't often translate well into discrete units.

Ok, now that I'm actually awake, I see what I said wrong. I meant an entry for imaginary units of measurement. And, in my 20/20 hindsight, I see that "internets" is the only one that needs an entry.

So, Internets needs an entry, basically. Glad that's cleared up.

Also, this one looks like too much for me to handle. It's up for grabs, any takers?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!