Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Are Memes spreading to different media categories?

Last posted Aug 26, 2009 at 11:43AM EDT. Added Aug 25, 2009 at 02:47PM EDT
11 posts from 5 users

Has anyone else noticed that memes keep getting more and more focused on mainstream television and celebritys, and not honest internet memeocity?

I started out with more of a purist outlook. I only used to consider original content to be memetic, but after moderating this site for a while, I noticed that LOTS of people like to make any mainstream reference in the world and insist that it's a meme. I think it's kind of annoying, personally, but my job is to be impartial. So we try to find ways that a mainstream reference has been brought into a different context before calling it a meme. But that's the core of why we still don't like to call "The cake is a lie" a meme.

We have to mention that there is a non-unimportant amount of things that were famous first in the maintream media, via TV or films, then have been so much reused and modified on internet that they eventually became memes too, so…

Building on what Tomberry said, there are things that come from the mainstream that end up being pulled out of their original context, parodied, and/or spoofed online to the point that they become memes. This is legitimate.

Then there's Astroturfing. This is when someone (especially a professional production company) creates something with the intention of it becoming memetic. It is first released under the false appearance of being a legitimate grassroots effort but is later revealed to be an orchestrated effort. Usually when people find out something has been astroturfed, the audience becomes upset for being tricked. But sometimes astroturfed memes still persist, regardless of how they were started.

In all fairness, it's not like Sony masterminded this. Sony hired a marketing firm called Zipatoni who then decided to launch the astroturfing campaign. Oversight on Sony's part? Maybe. But they came clean about it and stopped the minute they realized that it wasn't working.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!