Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

STOP THE PRESSES: This could be a trend ! ! !

Last posted Feb 08, 2011 at 12:36AM EST. Added Jan 05, 2011 at 06:47PM EST
18 posts from 11 users

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Lets face it. How many commercials/billboards have you seen with something like this in/on it? I've seen quite a few. Though it seems odd that it would turn into an internet meme.

Now that you mention it, I have yet to see any derivatives

TheFalcon8 wrote:

Forced meme is forced?

Well don't look at me, I'm certainly not trying to force it, I just found it this morning :) It seemed too viral to be forced (to me anyhow) when I Googled it :)

You may have something there, though, because as I just said a minute ago, I have yet to see any derivatives

I would consider it a submeme of Crying While Eating.
Although a major difference is that CWE was a participatory meme where people could submit their own videos.
The woman in the salad photos were not aware that they were contributing to a meme, but the photographers and the clients that would eventually use the photos were creating a genre of stock photography.
Because there are all sorts of purposes and uses for stock photography there are also a lot of specific types. It's almost more pure to the concept of memetics than memes that people contribute to just for the sake of "playing along with the meme."

So it began as a collection put together by someone at thehairpin. Then other bloggers at blameitonthevoices, guyism, mentalfloss, noticed it, liked it, and posted about it, linking back to thehairpin to give them credit.

At BuzzFeed we did the same thing as other blogs, but the whole purpose of the site is to not just track these things, but amplify them. Check out the viral dashboard on this post:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dashboard/awesomer/women-laughing-alone-with-salad#sort=views&user=awesomer&uri=women-laughing-alone-with-salad&time=2d

I'll admit, I didn't know much about the dashboard until I started working at BuzzFeed, but it's pretty damn sweet.

So far, about 4,369 people have viewed it on our site. 3,399 of them viewed it because they were already browsing the site, 970 viewed it through referrers: links, likes, stumbles, other forms of sharing and search. You can see from the point that it first was submitted to BuzzFeed all the way up to when it was posted here on KYM. Unfortunately I can't account for the views of sites it ended up on before today, which is where Neuro Aster did excellent work.

PS: there's also "women resisting delicious cakes and pies" just started to get seeded. Might want to keep an eye on it and see if it becomes worthwhile for creating another submeme entry or footnote.

Chris Menning wrote:

I would consider it a submeme of Crying While Eating.
Although a major difference is that CWE was a participatory meme where people could submit their own videos.
The woman in the salad photos were not aware that they were contributing to a meme, but the photographers and the clients that would eventually use the photos were creating a genre of stock photography.
Because there are all sorts of purposes and uses for stock photography there are also a lot of specific types. It's almost more pure to the concept of memetics than memes that people contribute to just for the sake of "playing along with the meme."

So it began as a collection put together by someone at thehairpin. Then other bloggers at blameitonthevoices, guyism, mentalfloss, noticed it, liked it, and posted about it, linking back to thehairpin to give them credit.

At BuzzFeed we did the same thing as other blogs, but the whole purpose of the site is to not just track these things, but amplify them. Check out the viral dashboard on this post:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dashboard/awesomer/women-laughing-alone-with-salad#sort=views&user=awesomer&uri=women-laughing-alone-with-salad&time=2d

I'll admit, I didn't know much about the dashboard until I started working at BuzzFeed, but it's pretty damn sweet.

So far, about 4,369 people have viewed it on our site. 3,399 of them viewed it because they were already browsing the site, 970 viewed it through referrers: links, likes, stumbles, other forms of sharing and search. You can see from the point that it first was submitted to BuzzFeed all the way up to when it was posted here on KYM. Unfortunately I can't account for the views of sites it ended up on before today, which is where Neuro Aster did excellent work.

PS: there's also "women resisting delicious cakes and pies" just started to get seeded. Might want to keep an eye on it and see if it becomes worthwhile for creating another submeme entry or footnote.

Wow, you've given me a lot to think about; much obliged :)

The photos themselves have been a part of stock photography trends for years. It's just putting them back to back from different sources makes us self aware. Pick up any women's magazine at the supermarket and you almost always see stories for the same three things: weight loss tips, desert recipes, and sex advice. The salad pics bring part of that weight loss section. It's juxtaposition really, I'm not fond of salads but everyone enjoying their healthy eating makes me want to stop having a boring tuna stop having a boring life.

Here's another. People kissing computers. http://www.buzzfeed.com/leemfrank/people-alone-kissing-computers-7w4

Really, you can find all kinds of stock photo trends. But I wouldn't consider it any less valid than broad memes like "internet fight."

Chris wrote:

The first YTMND to my knowledge has been created on the subject.

I'll keep an eye out.

Well well well, hello derivative :) Christopher Pimp Abra, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention #smilesandhugs

Hmmm, it's one thing for something to appear on Memegenerator Dot Net, but for it to appear on Memegenerator Dot Net AND BuzzFeed AND Ytmnd Dot Com, it gets a bit hard to call that forced, doesn't it? I think so, anyhow

Yeah, I'd love to know how to "force" memes on the populous, because I've been making fun of terrible stock photography for years. My agency actually pays for this garbage, and our paid subscription includes thousands of completely useless garbage crap doo doo photos. they make me laugh and cry in equal amounts.

ANYWAY, here's my totally-not-a-meme blog….

[Link removed.]

-cheers

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Last edited Feb 08, 2011 at 03:06AM EST

badstockart wrote:

Yeah, I'd love to know how to "force" memes on the populous, because I've been making fun of terrible stock photography for years. My agency actually pays for this garbage, and our paid subscription includes thousands of completely useless garbage crap doo doo photos. they make me laugh and cry in equal amounts.

ANYWAY, here's my totally-not-a-meme blog….

[Link removed.]

-cheers

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Why, hello there, spam.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!