30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
A potential meme in needs of support!

Last posted Mar 22, 2011 at 10:43PM EDT. Added Mar 22, 2011 at 05:30PM EDT
14 posts from 8 users

ManWithGoodTaste wrote:

I was not OP in that thread.

Just one of the many who saved those images.

'A potential meme in needs of support! '. sounds like your asking us to force it, as it sounds like you asking us to make content.

Last edited Mar 22, 2011 at 05:44PM EDT

Memetics = Evolution of ideas.
Evolution = natural selection.

The good ideas live on because they resonate with people. The bad ones die off because they don't capture anyone's attention. If you go around saying "WE NEED TO SUPPORT THIS MEME" everyone will naturally ask, "Why?"

If a meme is good enough, people will be naturally compelled to share it with their friends. With a successful meme, people see it and they say to themselves "oh man this is so good, I'm gonna make one and post it on my friend's wall."
The idea itself has to be strong enough to draw people in. If a person has to drum up support for a meme, that's your first sign that the idea itself isn't effective.

Joaquin Phoenix wrote:

Memetics = Evolution of ideas.
Evolution = natural selection.

The good ideas live on because they resonate with people. The bad ones die off because they don't capture anyone's attention. If you go around saying "WE NEED TO SUPPORT THIS MEME" everyone will naturally ask, "Why?"

If a meme is good enough, people will be naturally compelled to share it with their friends. With a successful meme, people see it and they say to themselves "oh man this is so good, I'm gonna make one and post it on my friend's wall."
The idea itself has to be strong enough to draw people in. If a person has to drum up support for a meme, that's your first sign that the idea itself isn't effective.

1. I did NOT submit it.

2. POTENTIAL meme.

3. It MAY BECOME one if you ALLOW it.

4. See #1 again.

Last edited Mar 22, 2011 at 07:10PM EDT

Lord Doctor Captain Professor Metallica wrote:

EVERYTHING is a potential meme. Whether or not it gets supported is up to everyone else, not whoever is forcing it.

Good point.

And the point of this thread is to show you the idea.

Then I think a better way to showcase it would be saying something like "Check out these images" and tell how it might develop into a meme, as opposed to asking people to support it.

Dude, memes that exist only for the sake of being memes suck.

Good memes capture there audience and don't need some spokeman to tell you why they should be a meme. It'll happen, or it won't. But when you dress it up as a "potential meme" people will almost immediately tell you to fuck yourself. I'm not saying that it's right or polite, but that it's the reaction I've observed over and over again for years.

Last edited Mar 22, 2011 at 08:24PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!