Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,714 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
funny laughs try not to laugh

Last posted Jan 02, 2012 at 02:53AM EST. Added Jan 01, 2012 at 06:30PM EST
23 posts from 11 users

Please do not post your work here. If you continue doing so it will likely result in a temporary ban. No one is allowed to advertise their videos/blogs/etc., as it is a forum rule.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 06:43PM EST

Piano wrote:

Please do not post your work here. If you continue doing so it will likely result in a temporary ban. No one is allowed to advertise their videos/blogs/etc., as it is a forum rule.

Weird. This is just my day for contradicting you, isn't it?

I am aware of no such rule, unless you are referring to the unwritten rule that if a new user does so, he should expect large quantities of rage and ridicule.

Brucker wrote:

Weird. This is just my day for contradicting you, isn't it?

I am aware of no such rule, unless you are referring to the unwritten rule that if a new user does so, he should expect large quantities of rage and ridicule.

2. "Do not post spam. This includes advertisements posted to user areas (defined as any area of the site designed specifically for users, which includes forums, comments sections, meme entries, and image/video uploads) where “advertisements” is defined as the solicitation of irrelevant or purely promotional material. Additionally, do not use automated systems to violate this rule (“bots,” scripts, programs, or any other method of automating user registration and content distribution). Accounts that violate this rule are subject to immediate termination at the site moderation’s discretion."

"where “advertisements” is defined as the solicitation of irrelevant or purely promotional material."

I believe that this thread counts as purely promotional.

Cale wrote:

New Rule: Unless shit is legit from a legit member, then banificatimify.

But what if they are a legit user but they just joined? Not everyone knows the spoken or unspoken rules here, so it isn't really fair. Banning a new person for advertising a YouTube video of theirs is harsh. Just asking them to politely not post it here is all that is needed. Only if the'yre an actual adbot should they be banned.

Piano wrote:

2. "Do not post spam. This includes advertisements posted to user areas (defined as any area of the site designed specifically for users, which includes forums, comments sections, meme entries, and image/video uploads) where “advertisements” is defined as the solicitation of irrelevant or purely promotional material. Additionally, do not use automated systems to violate this rule (“bots,” scripts, programs, or any other method of automating user registration and content distribution). Accounts that violate this rule are subject to immediate termination at the site moderation’s discretion."

"where “advertisements” is defined as the solicitation of irrelevant or purely promotional material."

Promotional in the sense that it's there for profit. This guy wanted to show us a YouTube video. That doesn't mean he won't become a part of the community. And it is not irrelevant because it's a "try not to laugh" thread in JFF.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 09:08PM EST

Kalmo wrote:

But what if they are a legit user but they just joined? Not everyone knows the spoken or unspoken rules here, so it isn't really fair. Banning a new person for advertising a YouTube video of theirs is harsh. Just asking them to politely not post it here is all that is needed. Only if the'yre an actual adbot should they be banned.

New New Rule: Users must earn the right to post links and shit.

Kalmo wrote:

We've asked him to stop, but last time he said that he'll just bring us another video. I'm kind of confused as to why he chose KnowYourMeme as a suitable place to advertise his work.

Kalmo wrote:

Promotional in the sense that it's there for profit. This guy wanted to show us a YouTube video. That doesn't mean he won't become a part of the community. And it is not irrelevant because it's a "try not to laugh" thread in JFF.

It may very well be for profit, it seems he's really, really trying hard to get a couple of views for his videos.

Piano wrote:

It may very well be for profit, it seems he's really, really trying hard to get a couple of views for his videos.

Profit as in money, not for YouTube views. And all you have to do to go around that is not watch it. Now can we lock this thread?

Kalmo wrote:

Then I guess this right would be taken away from you.

Hey. I earned this.

Besides, that might block Ad-Bots.

Upload ten images or comment on ten or get and editorship or SOMETHING before they can go to the forums.

Cale wrote:

Hey. I earned this.

Besides, that might block Ad-Bots.

Upload ten images or comment on ten or get and editorship or SOMETHING before they can go to the forums.

The site has had many arguments about it but it just won't happen. We can't go acting like elitists just because we've been here longer than a new user and know how it works, or make them do something when we didn't have too or haze them with insults as soon as they get here. They're normal users like us, and we all have the same rights and privileges.

Kalmo wrote:

The site has had many arguments about it but it just won't happen. We can't go acting like elitists just because we've been here longer than a new user and know how it works, or make them do something when we didn't have too or haze them with insults as soon as they get here. They're normal users like us, and we all have the same rights and privileges.

It's not about elitism, it's about practicality.

And I know it won't happen, fucking Cheezburger, but saying these things makes me feel less guilty.

Ok, I got to say this. I watched the video. It sucked.

I'm not gonna tell you to leave the site. Come on guys!

I feel that we are being a little harsh on new people.

Obvious trolls are obvious, but you know this guy could be mentally retarded and actually think this is funny and stuff.

So please, try not to make fun of mentally challenged people. Thanks.

Here's a funny laugh @ the end.

EDIT!

WAIT A MINUTE! I KNOW YOU! YOU ARE THAT MAZE KID!

I take back everything…

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 09:33PM EST

Piano wrote:

I'm not sure I would totally agree on the face of it, but looking further down the thread and then glancing at his profile, I see that this guy is a repeat offender. A banhammer might not be completely unwarranted in this case, but someone who does something like this once or twice (or even more if they were an active member of the community) should be given a warning and another chance. This is apparently his fourth thread promoting his videos? At the very least, I will be locking this.

Cale wrote:

It's not about elitism, it's about practicality.

And I know it won't happen, fucking Cheezburger, but saying these things makes me feel less guilty.

Yeah, last comment before locking: Ghirahim is right, and it has little to nothing to do with Cheezburger. It's simply come up over and over even before I joined two years ago that oldfags want to make new users jump through hoops before contributing, and it's simply not practical. (No offense, I've been on your side on this issue in the past, and I understand why you feel that way.) We want to encourage new ideas and new information, even if it means we get the occasional spammer or troll. So what we do is post rules and guidelines, warn new users who ignore them, and ban them if they show they're not willing to learn.

Apparently, a lot of people now love Troll King, and if mods had clamped down on this place like the forum Gestapo, he wouldn't be here today. Neither would a lot of other people for that matter.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!