Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

A Thread About Fox News.

Last posted Jan 27, 2015 at 12:13AM EST. Added Jan 26, 2015 at 08:40PM EST
8 posts from 7 users

So, I came across this article that explains that a Fox News host stated that America "saved the planet" by waging the Iraq War and generally being the, as he called them, "world policeman". And the best part? This all came about because of a discussion on American Sniper.

So I decided to start a thread about Fox News and see what KYM thinks of them (read: how much each member of KYM wants to remove them from television). Before I leave you to converse, here's a little reminder about their… on-screen diversity.

Yeah

at this point im glad fox news has lost a lot of credibility, i barely see people trying to quote them or use them as arguments (and if they do they get completely told afterwards), i see more people mocking them than taking them seriously so might as well label it as a comedy show.

i would discuss the "world police" thing but i feel we can all agree thats the last thing we need in this world.

also obligatory:

Last edited Jan 26, 2015 at 08:44PM EST

James Blunt wrote:

at this point im glad fox news has lost a lot of credibility, i barely see people trying to quote them or use them as arguments (and if they do they get completely told afterwards), i see more people mocking them than taking them seriously so might as well label it as a comedy show.

i would discuss the "world police" thing but i feel we can all agree thats the last thing we need in this world.

also obligatory:

"secret website"

Blah blah Bullshit Mountain, blah blah "fair and balanced" lol wat, blah blah…
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who disagrees with that view of Fox News. However, I will say that when there's some ultra-left-wing shady garbage going on, they often seem to be the only mainstream TV news source willing to point it out. I guess that's just a prime example of why it's better to have both extremes of the spectrum existing together and balancing each other out, rather than just one unopposed.

Last edited Jan 27, 2015 at 12:06AM EST

@0.9999…=1

ultra-left-wing shady garbage… only mainstream TV new source willing to point it out

Could you cite a few examples of this? I'l admit to occasionally incorporating Fox into my news diet (although I would never use it as a source), but your claim here honestly comes off as a somewhat lackluster appeal to moderation.

Particle Mare wrote:

@0.9999…=1

ultra-left-wing shady garbage… only mainstream TV new source willing to point it out

Could you cite a few examples of this? I'l admit to occasionally incorporating Fox into my news diet (although I would never use it as a source), but your claim here honestly comes off as a somewhat lackluster appeal to moderation.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really have any examples I can pull of the top of my head right now- that's just the pattern I believe to have seen. Not trying to make a formal argument here, unlike the fucking novels I've been writing in an adjacent thread, so please excuse me when I say that the question of whether or not I've technically committed an informal logical fallacy doesn't really concern me in the slightest. (Though I will point out that argumentum ad temperantiam is one of the most contested of all of them, and can only be referenced with certainty when some kind of scientific issue is the point of contention.)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!