Forums / Site-Related

17,273 total conversations in 1,321 threads

+ New Thread

Suggesting ideas to the admins concerning Facebook comments

Last posted Jan 05, 2012 at 12:29AM EST. Added Jan 01, 2012 at 01:07PM EST
102 conversations with 33 participants

Dudes..

They are staying.

Because of what Chris said. They help the site get views.
Also, some make me laugh, (few). But It really isn’t that big of a deal.

Jan 01, 2012 at 04:51PM EST

In my opinion, Facebook comments shouled be moved below the regular user comments. Removeing them entirely wouled be counter productive.

Jan 01, 2012 at 05:13PM EST

Too much traffic comes in from Facebook to have removing it make any sense. Exactly as the Chris’ quote says.

Also, a lot of active users don’t want it there, but I think you guys, unfortunately, are the minority of the traffic KYM gets. You are the heart of the site as the majority of the content creation and community (for which you are loved), but most people probably come here to look at funny meme pictures and be on their way.

So, removing the Facebook commenting would have a negative impact on the site overall to only make a few people happy :c

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 05:19PM EST
Jan 01, 2012 at 05:18PM EST

WHAT IS THIS MONSTER THAT I HAVE CREATED

I ONLY WANTED TO VOICE A COMPLAINT

Jan 01, 2012 at 05:21PM EST

Keep, We could make some changes to it though, because whoever comments first on facebook is always at the top, and it’s annoying to keep clicking see more to see the new comments.

Jan 01, 2012 at 06:21PM EST

Remove: 6
Keep: 8

Well then, I think it’s clear what the majority thinks. Now, I believe we should start discussing how we would tweak the Facebook plugin to make it a little less annoying/a little more productive/less visible, etc.

Jan 01, 2012 at 06:26PM EST

I think it should use a scroll bar rather than having to click to see more posts.

But more important than that, drop it to the bottom of the page.

Jan 01, 2012 at 06:28PM EST

The Facebook comments don’t really matter at all. It’s your choice whether or not you want to be angry at them. If you have the inability to ignore them then that’s your problem. I vote to keep.

Edit: Although, I do think that reaching a middle ground would make everything better. Moving the facebook comments below the user comments would make everyone happier. But I don’t think it should be done if it would be too much of a hassle (I know nothing about these things).

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 07:05PM EST
Jan 01, 2012 at 06:39PM EST

I hate how much it slows my connection. Can’t load images, takes half an hour.

Jan 01, 2012 at 06:46PM EST

Keep. As I said, I don’t have a problem with them inherently, and there are good commenters.

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:20PM EST

Piano wrote:

Whoever is downvoting Kalmo, please stop. Just because he has a different opinion doesn’t give you the right to downvote him. Plus, this thread is reserved for civilized discourse and decision-making, and giving Kalmo negative karma achieves nothing.

Although I’m normally the one calling for people to not downvote people for having a different opinion, I’d like to point out that what does “give you the right to downvote him” is having a KYM account. Thus I think it’s ironic that a portion of the nature of the complaint in these threads is that KYM users don’t have special privileges above those of Facebook commenters, when it’s clear that the entire forums section of the site is essentially only for registered KYM users.

@thread
I think based on my comments elsewhere, people would know what my vote would be, but I am not going to vote for a simple reason that I think most of you have forgotten: knowyourmeme.com is not a democracy.

Actually, I get the feeling that most people forget that about the Internet in general.

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:54PM EST

Brucker wrote:

Although I’m normally the one calling for people to not downvote people for having a different opinion, I’d like to point out that what does “give you the right to downvote him” is having a KYM account. Thus I think it’s ironic that a portion of the nature of the complaint in these threads is that KYM users don’t have special privileges above those of Facebook commenters, when it’s clear that the entire forums section of the site is essentially only for registered KYM users.

@thread
I think based on my comments elsewhere, people would know what my vote would be, but I am not going to vote for a simple reason that I think most of you have forgotten: knowyourmeme.com is not a democracy.

Actually, I get the feeling that most people forget that about the Internet in general.

The people’s whim should at least be considered here. I know that the mods have all the power, but the users need to have a say.

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:56PM EST

Correction: The admins have all the power. The mods get a few shiny buttons to push.

BTW, in a followup to my comment about registered users having the right to downvote, I would like to stress as I have in the past that registered users should exercise this right! The closest you do get to having this site be a democracy is is the vote buttons on individual items.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DOWNVOTED A POST, I INVITE YOU TO GROW A PAIR AND DOWNVOTE THIS ONE.

[photo:105376]

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:02PM EST

To further explain my reasoning on this issue:

look losers, lol. I wwebsite as on the internet when you were a sperm in your daddys balls.
thanks for the welcome to message wurd up. Grow up you look like a complete child bro.

your not an industry professional and you have no money on snap you just got told.

Jan 01, 2012 at 09:43PM EST

Remove: 6
Keep: 8
Well then, I think it’s clear what the majority thinks. Now, I believe we should start discussing how we would tweak the Facebook plugin to make it a little less annoying/a little more productive/less visible, etc.

You can’t easily tweak an API (or plug-in) given to you by Facebook. Know Your Meme only has one programmer to do it. A site like Mashable has an entire team.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 10:01PM EST
Jan 01, 2012 at 09:49PM EST

Keep. Even those tools who only said “jajajajajaja” on the comments are the one who makes KYM still breathe.

Jan 01, 2012 at 10:08PM EST

KYM needs more publicity.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 10:37PM EST
Jan 01, 2012 at 10:32PM EST

I really don’t have an opinion. But to be honest, WHAT DIFFERENCE WOULD IT MAKE? KYM has people you are just as bad as the FaceBookers. Why not get rid of KYM comments as well? It’ll still be the same.

Jan 01, 2012 at 10:46PM EST

Anako wrote:

KYM needs more publicity.

You raise a good point.

Jan 01, 2012 at 10:47PM EST

I would say “REMOVE THAT SHIT AS IF IT WAS A MALIGNANT TUMOR”, but since I know KYM needs the publicity, I say move them below the KYM comments. You want your comment to be seen? Register for the fucking site. We shouldn’t cater to you if you won’t sign up.

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:55AM EST

Cale wrote:

Well shit.

We’re boned.

Hmm, I you could get de-boned, we could have you for lunch…

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:46AM EST

Philip J. Fry wrote:

I would say “REMOVE THAT SHIT AS IF IT WAS A MALIGNANT TUMOR”, but since I know KYM needs the publicity, I say move them below the KYM comments. You want your comment to be seen? Register for the fucking site. We shouldn’t cater to you if you won’t sign up.

That’s brilliant.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:49AM EST

Here’s what I think of the facebook comments section.
Pros
1. It lets facebook users contribute.
2. Publicity.
3. It introduces potential new users to the site.

Cons
1. Most of the time the facebook comments contribute very little to any article, and rarely suggest any changes or additional information.
2. It adds to the idea some people have that KYM is basically making money out of internet culture, and also to the view that KYM is “the cancer that is killing /b/”.
3. It takes slightly longer to scroll down to the user comments.

Now on the whole I don’t like the facebook comments section. But this shouldn’t just be about the facebook comments section, it should be about Chevvy Sonic, and our position in the Cheezburger Network as well. KYM has changed beyond recognition since I joined, and despite gaining loads and loads of awesome new members who’ve contributed loads, it does feel like KYM’s sold out. To be honest it started back when Rocketboom sold it to Ben Huh and his lot. But that’s just my opinion.

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:40AM EST

Guys. The vote failed.

Shut the fuck up.

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:49AM EST

We’re trying to decide what to do with them to make them less irritating.

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:57AM EST

Witch, we’re having a discussion on the pros and cons of it. We’re allowed to help change someone’s view or at least enlighten them on the situation. Not only that, but it didn’t fail just because more people voted for it to stay. Someone could change their mind or someone else could vote.

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:58AM EST

Kalmo wrote:

Witch, we’re having a discussion on the pros and cons of it. We’re allowed to help change someone’s view or at least enlighten them on the situation. Not only that, but it didn’t fail just because more people voted for it to stay. Someone could change their mind or someone else could vote.

Exactly. We need to keep this thread open.

However, might I suggest it be moved to Site Related?

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:04PM EST

Kalmo wrote:

It’s already been established that our say doesn’t affect anything.

Random and Chris have made that clear.

Requesting Lock.

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:08PM EST

To remove it entirely is asking for much. But to ask for a small change might help solve the problem.

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:16PM EST

Cale wrote:

It’s already been established that our say doesn’t affect anything.

Random and Chris have made that clear.

Requesting Lock.

HEY STOP THINKING LIKE THAT, BEING AN IDIOT WONT MAKE THIS GO AWAY

You really think the admins are so stupid that they’d not even listen to the people who contribute to the goddamn site? Just because there have been some bad (Very bad) ideas here doesn’t mean there isn’t still a decent possibility that we might have something that could end up with everyone happy.

From what I can tell is the main complaints are about how the facebook comments sort of get “Prioritized” visually on the entries despite the effort and all that jazz required to use the facebook comments is lower and the people using them usually contribute significantly less to the site content wise, and since the whole thing of what attracts any significant amount of views to this site is the fact that the content is updated quite frequently by people who actually care about getting the info right, it sort of seems like a slap in the face to have those same people have less priority when it comes to their thoughts on the things they are contributing to. As the comment sections are right now though, moving the facebook comments below the user ones would probably also would do some harm though, since as mentioned earlier the entire point of the facebook comments is that they are meant to have a lower requisite amount of effort and given how long most of the user comment sections are now they’d likely end up lost. For images and videos this is a bit less of a concern, but still. This is a delicate balance we have right now, and hasty changes would be a bad thing.

In fact, hastiness is the whole reason why this thread was kinda worthless for so long, people were just giving kneejerk reactions without thinking about the potential complications actually doing some of the suggested actions would bring about.

Last edited Jan 02, 2012 at 01:25PM EST
Jan 02, 2012 at 01:17PM EST

ArdentGamer wrote:

HEY STOP THINKING LIKE THAT, BEING AN IDIOT WONT MAKE THIS GO AWAY

You really think the admins are so stupid that they’d not even listen to the people who contribute to the goddamn site? Just because there have been some bad (Very bad) ideas here doesn’t mean there isn’t still a decent possibility that we might have something that could end up with everyone happy.

From what I can tell is the main complaints are about how the facebook comments sort of get “Prioritized” visually on the entries despite the effort and all that jazz required to use the facebook comments is lower and the people using them usually contribute significantly less to the site content wise, and since the whole thing of what attracts any significant amount of views to this site is the fact that the content is updated quite frequently by people who actually care about getting the info right, it sort of seems like a slap in the face to have those same people have less priority when it comes to their thoughts on the things they are contributing to. As the comment sections are right now though, moving the facebook comments below the user ones would probably also would do some harm though, since as mentioned earlier the entire point of the facebook comments is that they are meant to have a lower requisite amount of effort and given how long most of the user comment sections are now they’d likely end up lost. For images and videos this is a bit less of a concern, but still. This is a delicate balance we have right now, and hasty changes would be a bad thing.

In fact, hastiness is the whole reason why this thread was kinda worthless for so long, people were just giving kneejerk reactions without thinking about the potential complications actually doing some of the suggested actions would bring about.

It’s not going away because it’s embedded in and this is a private site.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:25PM EST

Cale wrote:

So what? We can at least try to make them more bearable, don’t you agree?

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:35PM EST

ArdentGamer wrote:

So what? We can at least try to make them more bearable, don’t you agree?

We have to.

You know what I just thought of? Why not make both comments sections their own pages? Just have the internal link come up first.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:37PM EST

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

We have to.

You know what I just thought of? Why not make both comments sections their own pages? Just have the internal link come up first.

That could work, but again it brings up the whole issue of the effort required, and since this would bring it up a step, even if only a small step, it could have a very bad effect. Still, it does actually, to me at least, seem to be a safer move than just tossing them below the user comments.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:47PM EST

Cale wrote:

I should further clarify my previous remarks, because it seems to have caused some undue butthurt.

While KYM is not a democracy, and therefore, unless the admins decide to make voting for something the way they make decisions, having a “vote” is largely a pointless exercise, the admins are still human beings who care about the opinions and ideas of the users of their site. No, you can’t say to the admins “Aha! We voted, and this is what you are going to do!” What you can and should do is make your opinions and ideas be known to the admins because they may decide that you’ve got some good ones.

Look, I don’t know if you recall back when I made a petition on Change.org and posted a link to it here, but let me bring up some details. Petitions don’t force people, leaders, corporations or whatever to do anything at all except be aware that there are people that care about what they do. My petition was actually to Change.org itself, suggesting they make some changes in their site structure. Do you know how many “signatures” I ended up getting? I believe the total is currently at four. However, I am not disappointed, because I know that even with only my own signature, the people who run change.org will see my petition, and the day may come when they take my suggestion just because it’s a good idea.

If you’ve got a truly good idea about what to do with the Facebook comments section, the admins will take it into consideration, I am sure. They’d be foolish not to.

Jan 02, 2012 at 04:12PM EST

Olivia Gulin wrote:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/knowyourmeme.com

Do you know what I find the most interesting about the stats on that page? The fact that it appears Google is giving us free advertising. Of the top 10 increasing searches over the past month, eight of them are some variation of “do a barrel roll”:

Search Query 1 Month Increase
1 do a barrel roll 20.01%
2 do a barrell roll 0.43%
3 do a barrel roll meme 0.33%
4 “do a barrel roll” 0.31%
5 do barrel roll 0.30%
6 do a barrel rol 0.21%
7 do a barrel roll song 0.21%
8 barrel roll 0.19%
9 rage face 0.15%
10 like a boss 0.15%

People are of course searching that term because of the Google Easter Egg, but when they search it, guess what the first site link is that comes up?

Jan 02, 2012 at 04:26PM EST

Olivia Gulin wrote:

You know, it’s too bad we can’t see what the stats about this were before the facebook comment system was added, it would have been interesting to compare. When was the system implemented anyways? I can’t exactly remember. Not that it matters overmuch, as it is obvious that however long ago it was the overall traffic did increase throughout the entirety of last year. I mostly would like those two pieces together to sort of hazard a guess at just how much the facebook integration has done for the traffic. As it is we’ve been throwing around how important it is without ever really demonstrating how it has proven to be important to the site’s growth, and knowing exactly what would be at risk in changing something is always a good thing.

Also, I wonder what went down in early November to make a spike like that?
EDIT: Never mind, I just realized that the barrel roll Easter egg got added in early November. Cool, isn’t it?

Last edited Jan 02, 2012 at 04:35PM EST
Jan 02, 2012 at 04:29PM EST

Brucker wrote:

I should further clarify my previous remarks, because it seems to have caused some undue butthurt.

While KYM is not a democracy, and therefore, unless the admins decide to make voting for something the way they make decisions, having a “vote” is largely a pointless exercise, the admins are still human beings who care about the opinions and ideas of the users of their site. No, you can’t say to the admins “Aha! We voted, and this is what you are going to do!” What you can and should do is make your opinions and ideas be known to the admins because they may decide that you’ve got some good ones.

Look, I don’t know if you recall back when I made a petition on Change.org and posted a link to it here, but let me bring up some details. Petitions don’t force people, leaders, corporations or whatever to do anything at all except be aware that there are people that care about what they do. My petition was actually to Change.org itself, suggesting they make some changes in their site structure. Do you know how many “signatures” I ended up getting? I believe the total is currently at four. However, I am not disappointed, because I know that even with only my own signature, the people who run change.org will see my petition, and the day may come when they take my suggestion just because it’s a good idea.

If you’ve got a truly good idea about what to do with the Facebook comments section, the admins will take it into consideration, I am sure. They’d be foolish not to.

This thread was subject of a vote, which has been null. I’m rather irritated that people INSIST on using it, rather than, dunno, make a dedicated tread or chat about it.

Shit has served it’s purpose and needs to die.

Last edited Jan 02, 2012 at 04:43PM EST
Jan 02, 2012 at 04:42PM EST

Olivia Gulin wrote:

Unrelated, but when I went to use that link, this is what I found.

I could claim this site?

Last edited Jan 02, 2012 at 09:29PM EST
Jan 02, 2012 at 09:28PM EST

Cale wrote:

This thread was subject of a vote, which has been null. I’m rather irritated that people INSIST on using it, rather than, dunno, make a dedicated tread or chat about it.

Shit has served it’s purpose and needs to die.

The thread has been derailed, although onto a parallel track of discussion. I think it still serves a purpose, but if you’d rather see it closed and a new thread put in its place (perhaps in Site-Related), for you, I’ll do it. I would prefer the thread to die of natural causes myself, but I know there’s a rule (unspoken and very flexible) that if the creator of a thread wants it locked, we tend to lock it.

Jan 02, 2012 at 09:40PM EST

I thought this should have been in SR from the beginning.

Go ahead and lock. We’ll head over to Site Related.

However, we need to have at least some form of recap in the new thread.

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:12AM EST

Hey guys, look what I found!
Facebook comments are staying. Not everyone wants to sign up, nor should they. Facebook comments just make adding comments to something easier. User friendly sites are more likely to gain return visitors, which is good for KYM.
So install this extension if you don’t like the widgets and stop whining about it. James isn’t in charge of these things and you shouldn’t pressure him to risk his job by going against the wishes of his bosses.

Lastly, not on Chrome? Not a problem.

EDIT: Moved to site related on request.

Last edited Jan 03, 2012 at 12:16AM EST
Jan 03, 2012 at 12:14AM EST

I still stand by my idea to at the very least drop the Facebook comments section to the bottom of pages where it’s present.

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:45AM EST

Maromi wrote:

Hey guys, look what I found!
Facebook comments are staying. Not everyone wants to sign up, nor should they. Facebook comments just make adding comments to something easier. User friendly sites are more likely to gain return visitors, which is good for KYM.
So install this extension if you don’t like the widgets and stop whining about it. James isn’t in charge of these things and you shouldn’t pressure him to risk his job by going against the wishes of his bosses.

Lastly, not on Chrome? Not a problem.

EDIT: Moved to site related on request.

Awesome, thanks Fandroid.

Jan 03, 2012 at 02:27AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!