Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,702 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

Browse Images Page by Page?

Last posted Apr 02, 2013 at 04:49PM EDT. Added Mar 29, 2013 at 07:47PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

Well, we had that in the past. But it would restrict us to scrolling page-by-page on the entry itself, not allowing us to order the galleries by most liked and stuff (below example is shooped).

I can understand your request. The current image galleries can at times be a pain in the ass to scroll through, especially for people who don't have the best internet. For the people who have quality internet though, the auto-load feature in comparison to clicking on a new page each time allows for much quicker scrolling.

The current scrolling feature is also very useful for entries that involve multi-pane vertical comics. If I for example would take this Zelda-variation of the Gaijin 4Koma and bring it back to the list feature:

It would become pretty unreadable.

But then again, there are plenty of entries where this wouldn't matter. And I can understand wanting the simplicity of the old page-by-page feature. We still use that feature on The Video Galleries, and there I never heard anyone complain how they want it to be like the images. But with videos there's no real need for easy scrolling, as you're forced to click anyway to see the vid.

Perhaps allow switching inbetween? Given that the video galleries allow all types of ordering similar to the image gallery, and that both are now on seperate pages, it should be possible. If many people find the current scroll feature a pain in the ass in comparison to the old page-by-page, I would have no trouble supporting the idea.

Can I get some more opinions in here?

Last edited Mar 31, 2013 at 10:28AM EDT

Well, there's a somewhat inconsistent way of pulling that off. URL manipulation.

Check this URL out: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic/photos/page/50

By adding /page/50 at the end of the URL, you can access the 50th page you want from the last page to the very first based upon how it's sorted (e.g., number of times the image has been favorites, the the score of the image, time of which it was uploaded, etc.) At the bottom of the page, you'll see the standard links to nearby pages and the first/last pages of the gallery. This is what you (and I) would like and prefer to have an option for.

So by that theory, you can find the first page of, say, the Rule 63 gallery and then just page through the gallery that way.

Try it: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/rule-63/photos/page/1

But if your attempt was like most of mine, then you saw the pagination function come into play anyway. Even as I typed in page/2, the second page appeared, but it didn't have links to other pages meaning I'd have to manually alter the URL until the links to other pages appeared at the bottom of the gallery again.

This is the method I used to begin marking older NSFW images in the FiM gallery. Usually, I can just sort the images from oldest to newest, and then I can scroll and then go to the next page by clicking on the link.

But more than occasionally, the links at the bottom do not appear or the paging function activates as I approach the bottom of the page. In these cases, I need to go back to the URL and type in the next page into the URL to keep tagging, cleaning, and editing.

So there's a way to get beyond it that is a bit inconsistent, but it usually works. And I find it more inconvenient (even with a better connection) than convenient to have 20 pages of images on one page. But I'm not sure if it's enough of an issue to code a button or option that lets you easily move through galleries by clicking on a link that sends you to the next page.

There are a couple of other patterns I've seen but I think that's enough to get OP through the problems he/she's having. If not, then I can add a bit more information.

I will point out, RandomMan, that one of my major problems with the pagination feature is those large comics or pictures that take up a significant amount of vertical space. Since pagination doesn't kick in until it gets to the bottom of the page's images, a long pictures forces you to scroll all the way through, then fills up the empty space around the long picture with the next page's pictures, requiring you to scroll all the way back up (that one picture of Longcat that crosses through several landscapes/layers comes to mind; I remember it was one of the first pictures I noticed this quirk on). It makes it very irritating to go through the gallery to look for a single picture if you need to consistently scroll back up. I'm not saying that we should go back to pages by a long shot, this method is definitely superior, and I know it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to make new pages load when the other images end. It's really just my main complaint about the current system.

A "back to top" button would definitely be welcomed, though.

Twilitlord wrote:

I will point out, RandomMan, that one of my major problems with the pagination feature is those large comics or pictures that take up a significant amount of vertical space. Since pagination doesn’t kick in until it gets to the bottom of the page’s images, a long pictures forces you to scroll all the way through, then fills up the empty space around the long picture with the next page’s pictures, requiring you to scroll all the way back up.

Do You Love The Colour of the Sky?

It is forced to crop up like that, otherwise it'll be too big for a forum post.

Yeah, I can understand that issue. Articles with those type of comics are a major pain in the ass to scroll through as they constantly force you to go back up or you'll miss some images. So a good point there, thanks for bringing it up.

A “back to top” button would definitely be welcomed, though.

Last edited Mar 31, 2013 at 02:59PM EDT

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Would there be any way possible for this to be a setting? Just choose auto-loading or page-by-page, whichever one you prefer. Seems to me that would solve the problem.

Endless scrolling is going to slow down your computer and is going to be painfully slow if you got a slow connection. It can even prevent you from seeing the entire gallery because when the browser runs out of memory, its going to crash and restart, you're gonna have to start watching the gallery again.

Check memory usage while scrolling the MLP gallery (any large gallery produces the same result)
Just got into the MLP gallery 89MB
Scrolling down 310MB
Scrolling some more 900MB

See how much memory endless scrolling requires. And its not just FF issue. Same problem on Chrome.
Replicated the results on: W7/Vista/Mac OS 10.6 & 10.8.2

In fact, i made a thread on FF community about endless scrolling on tumblr and FF not being able to handle endless scrolling and crashing when it reaches 3GB+. KYM has the same issue as tumblr when it comes to auto-loading images and endless scrolling.
64-bit browser builds still have the same problem for some reason (browsers artificially limited to 3GB?)

FF thread img

So yeah KYM does need a choice between endless scrolling (auto-loading) and page by page because modern browsers won't be able to look at the entire gallery.

Last edited Apr 02, 2013 at 04:57PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!