Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,702 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

hey admins, a question

Last posted Nov 30, 2009 at 05:09PM EST. Added Nov 30, 2009 at 04:03PM EST
9 posts from 6 users

Well, I think it shouldn't be your status(member, researcher, etc.). I think you should have to wait 48 hours to submit a meme or something along those lines.

Or you could be strict like some sites and put a 2 week limit on it.

Jamie, Brad, and I are going to have a conference call this afternoon to discuss our upcoming forums improvements. Ideas we'll be discussing include adding Awards for users who provide useful information such as origins, and easy user karma ratings for building reputation.

We've discussed prohibiting users beneath a certain number of contributions in the past but came to the decision that we didn't want to set up too many barriers that would prohibit newcomers from creating threads. Believe it or not, but there have been some valuable meme entries started by brand new users. Not being able to submit an entry would drive people away.

To be honest, we don't have as much of an issue with people creating multiple entries as much as we have an issue with spamming in the forums. One idea we've discussed before was setting up a system that automatically detect when a user is spamming the forums. I think you can agree that's a higher priority issue at this time.

@Chris:
Flood detector?

Also, I don't know about you, but I'm really wary when it comes to auto-detect spam-prevention systems. They break, blocking useful posts a lot of the time. It's failed in nearly every board it's been implemented in.

Instead, active and competent moderators. It's low tech, sure, but at least then you wouldn't have to worry about the technical issues associated with bots/filters. And as a bonus, they could relieve some of the stresses being put on the admins.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!