Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,702 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Yo, wheres them rules at?

Last posted Mar 02, 2010 at 08:00AM EST. Added Feb 13, 2010 at 01:39PM EST
21 posts from 12 users

chris menning posted this here
https://knowyourmeme.com/forums/general/topics/2829-hey-im-new-ed-newbie-onboarding-practices
Here’s a little FAQ I’ve started working on. Feel free to share your thoughts.

1. What is a meme?

A meme is a theoretical cultural unit that spreads from one mind to the next, via imitation. Meme’s are typically made up of many instances along the same theme, created by many different users. Memes spread due to their inherent values. Typically, the factor that contributes to a meme’s spread and popularity has to do with how easy it is to emulate.

2. What is a forced meme?

A meme in it’s purest sense is an idea that spreads because of genuine interest. A forced meme is generally something that has been written about or spammed excessively, or otherwise declared as a meme prior to proof of organic spread or interest. However, it should be noted that if user interest picks up, a forced meme can sometimes succeed in generating interest.

3. What is astroturfing?

Astroturfing occurs when a viral video or other phenomenon is staged or faked by an organization or other group of connnected individuals looking to promote a product, yet hide the fact that they are advertising. Knowing the difference between a grassroots movement and an astroturf movement is essential when considering a meme’s legitimacy.

4. Your site contains content that I find offensive. Why don’t you remove it?

There are many phenomena that spread not because they are funny, but because they are offensive. Obscenity grabs attention. That attention, whether positive or negative, propagates the meme. Know Your Meme does not condone discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, faith, political affiliation, or loyalty to sports teams such as the Packers (Peace be upon them).

However, there are many memes that spread because of their ability to offend people, and this is a phenomenon that we feel is worth documenting

well i found this looking through some old locked threads

lulz i looked up etiquette on kym i got this

Chris menning wrote:
Here are the rules that Jamie and I have put together.

be nice your knowledge of Internets is valued, but it doesn’t make others subservient to you [alt: everyone’s a noob at some point / assume good faith]. Community moderators can temporarily or permanantly ban offenders
stay on topic don’t hijack the topic of a thread -- start a new one instead. Threads posted to the wrong boards might be moved or locked by moderators (that is, as soon as we get the forum update finished and have more boards to move things to.)

search before posting AKA Lurk Moar AKA Let Me Google That For You
don’t try to force your memes: this site is about documenting memes, not creating them. Focus on making something interesting, not just shouting loudly
games go in games and the staff reserves the right to zaniness (that is, once we have our separate sub-forums ready.)

Thread is now back from the dead

Where did you find that??

I search it and nothing came up.

Last edited Feb 28, 2010 at 04:49PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!