Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
IQ test for new members

Last posted May 07, 2012 at 04:12PM EDT. Added May 07, 2012 at 03:21PM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

I am not trolling. maybe just a bit harsh.

suggestion: if you are a new user, you must do an IQ test and pass a certain score before you are allowed to submit meme entries.

"wouldn't this cause a shitstorm??"
- I don't think so, if the users are genuinely wanting to submit a good meme entry, they shouldn't have a problem doing this test
- if you are a troll, this test would dissuade the SHIT out of you from making your p.o.s. entries

"but what about people with an IQ lower of 60? what if they actually have something good to contribute to this site? and all this test does is drive those people away from this community?"
- I honestly have no good response to this question, if it was up to me I just rather not have those people contribute, putting them all in the same stereotype :(

you know, when it comes to humour, I find that mature people (yes I'm correlating maturity with IQ) make better jokes than immature people, whether it's mature or immature humor. so if this ever gets applied to meme entries, I'd also like it to apply to picture submissions. And I hope I don't sound like an elitist asshole.

IQ tests are not proven to be indicative of intelligence, they're simply the best we have. In addition, this would hamstring our recruitment of new members (who wants to do 5+ pages of test to sign up for the site, kids?) and as has been proven Brand New Members are one of our largest sources of entry creation.
Also, even if these problems didn't exist, 60 IQ is a very low bar. As in, you could be completely mental and incapable of contributing productively, and still get that score.
/thread

Fun fact: Intelligence is based on how much you can focus on something. NOT on IQ tests.
So if you are distracted all the time (i.e. switch between things constantly)…you could be kind of "special"….

Last edited May 07, 2012 at 03:55PM EDT

"IQ tests are not proven to be indicative of intelligence, they’re simply the best we have."
- I know they're not, but wouldn't you be happier knowing that people with a decent IQ score are contributing to this site?

"this would hamstring our recruitment of new members"
- this test should not apply to people signing up, just people who want to be able to make entries

"who wants to do 5+ pages of test to sign up for the site, kids?"
- maybe we can find a shorter version of this test, maybe one that's easier and lenient on the scores, this still would dissuade trolls from making crap entries
- 60 was just a number, maybe we could choose a better number

seriously, if this idea was implemented, WHO would complain about this idea? what kind of people are they? do you really want them to contribute?

the whole idea here is just to dissuade trolls, and our way of telling telling them what we think of their mental capacity, no offense to ANYONE else, at all

Last edited May 07, 2012 at 04:05PM EDT

Chances are, if someone gets a low enough score, they MIGHT just be offended. If this method is to dissuade trolls, then what about people who DO get a low score who wish to actually try to contribute? We're then ACTIVELY trying to push them away without meaning to, just because we would be implementing this IQ test.

Not to mention that I'd imagine there would still be a decent number of trolls who would slip through the test.

Last edited May 07, 2012 at 04:11PM EDT

Ric Te$l@ wrote:

Fun fact: Intelligence is based on how much you can focus on something. NOT on IQ tests.
So if you are distracted all the time (i.e. switch between things constantly)…you could be kind of "special"….

I just wanted to say that intelligence is not based on your attention span, and everyone cannot attain a common level of intelligence. Bell curve and all that jazz.
@topic
If someone has an IQ of 60, it's a wonder they could even find this website. Requesting lock.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!