Forums / Media / Video Games

38,629 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Consoles vs. PCs: Pros and Cons

Last posted Nov 08, 2014 at 02:12PM EST. Added Nov 08, 2014 at 02:20AM EST
6 posts from 4 users

I know this is essentially asking for flamewars, but hopefully It'll go somewhere.

So, Console Wars (with the PC being included) is pretty big, older than even the Gaming journalism thing.

SO I decided to make a list of the pros and cons of each (excluding handhelds, sorry)

I DON'T OWN A CURRENT CONSOLE, AND WON'T UNTIL AROUND THE 21ST.

Pros

Consoles

Controls

I think that in some ways, console controls are easier to control. It cuts away unnecessary buttons. For example:

Skyrim has a hub menu, for the skills, magic, map, and inventory. There are also 4 separate buttons for those. While it's faster, the player (at least me) has stop a function to do so. This could lead to something bad happening. For the Xbox controls, those buttons are gone.

Visuals (The most "important")

_Whoo, boy. This ought to rustle some jimmies. I honestly don't mind low-res textures (unless it legit looks terrible, like with Skyrim and my build), but things looking pretty is great. This is more of a mini-rant on the PC elitists. Here we go:

_If you hate consoles because they're low 4k, then you seriously need to shut up.

1. Not all PCs run 1080p, 60fps.

2. Most of us don't want to screw around with settings and restarting and SO ON just to play.

3. Saying that PC gamers are smarter just because they/you know how to build a PC is like saying, " Ubisoft is smart because they know how to make games. "

Now on to actual progress:

Cons

PCs

Controls
NEXON GAMES. THAT IS ALL.

Oh, I should elaborate? Fine.

Nexon (a korean dev team that makes all the popular K-MMOs) has VERY unusual controls, where the buttons are almost all over the place. This wouldn't be a problem on controllers.

* TO BE CONTINUED…*

Last edited Nov 08, 2014 at 02:36AM EST

Why don't you just plug in a controller to your PC if you prefer that style of play? Most games released today apart from RTS or most MMOs and the like allow you to play using controller or keyboard and mouse.

Also, nvidia graphics drivers can now change the settings of each game automatically so you don't have to spend time manually editing things. I don't have AMD graphics so I don't know about their side.

Also, you can build a PC for around the same price as a console and it would work at the same settings as a console. If you don't really care about super hi res or 1080@60 then you can build one in cases a little larger than consoles (mini itx I think) if physical size is a problem. It does require some technical know-how though.

Also, if nexon games makes games with stupid controls then its their fault for making a game with stupid controls, not the fault of PC. If they wanted to have controller support then they could do it like FF14 A Realm Reborn, where PC players can use controllers without the need for mods (and can play with console players).

I'm a PC gamer who plays on a (relatively) old laptop. The reason why I play on PC is because I can't afford to keep buying a new console every generation to play one or two exclusives. Most of the high profile games coming out aren't exclusive to consoles either, and some exclusives (like the Xbox one games) eventually moved to PC. I didn't need to buy a new laptop or desktop to play them, nor did I spend money on buying a console. I can just buy them hassle free.

Edit:

Also, if used games or borrowing games from your friends is important, steam sales always drop the prices lower than box copies in brick and mortar stores, and you can allow anyone (up to 5 or 10 people, can't remember the number) to have access to your gaming library on different computers. You can technically allow friends in different countries to play games you have for free.

Last edited Nov 08, 2014 at 03:06AM EST

Menthol wrote:

Why don't you just plug in a controller to your PC if you prefer that style of play? Most games released today apart from RTS or most MMOs and the like allow you to play using controller or keyboard and mouse.

Also, nvidia graphics drivers can now change the settings of each game automatically so you don't have to spend time manually editing things. I don't have AMD graphics so I don't know about their side.

Also, you can build a PC for around the same price as a console and it would work at the same settings as a console. If you don't really care about super hi res or 1080@60 then you can build one in cases a little larger than consoles (mini itx I think) if physical size is a problem. It does require some technical know-how though.

Also, if nexon games makes games with stupid controls then its their fault for making a game with stupid controls, not the fault of PC. If they wanted to have controller support then they could do it like FF14 A Realm Reborn, where PC players can use controllers without the need for mods (and can play with console players).

I'm a PC gamer who plays on a (relatively) old laptop. The reason why I play on PC is because I can't afford to keep buying a new console every generation to play one or two exclusives. Most of the high profile games coming out aren't exclusive to consoles either, and some exclusives (like the Xbox one games) eventually moved to PC. I didn't need to buy a new laptop or desktop to play them, nor did I spend money on buying a console. I can just buy them hassle free.

Edit:

Also, if used games or borrowing games from your friends is important, steam sales always drop the prices lower than box copies in brick and mortar stores, and you can allow anyone (up to 5 or 10 people, can't remember the number) to have access to your gaming library on different computers. You can technically allow friends in different countries to play games you have for free.

Why don’t you just plug in a controller to your PC if you prefer that style of play? Most games released today apart from RTS or most MMOs and the like allow you to play using controller or keyboard and mouse.

Not all games support this, and even then, it may not be the best option.

Also, nvidia graphics drivers can now change the settings of each game automatically so you don’t have to spend time manually editing things. I don’t have AMD graphics so I don’t know about their side.

I use Intel Integrated graphics, so thiat's sadly unavailable for me.

1.They DO allow controllers (albeit a little stupidly), I just used that as an example.
2. Cross platform Multiplayer? O_O

Also, if used games or borrowing games from your friends is important, steam sales always drop the prices lower than box copies in brick and mortar stores, and you can allow anyone (up to 5 or 10 people, can’t remember the number) to have access to your gaming library on different computers. You can technically allow friends in different countries to play games you have for free.

Sweet, I should remember that. Does that also work with different users?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!