Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Was Pretty Disappointing

Last posted Jan 28, 2015 at 10:57PM EST. Added Jan 17, 2015 at 04:15PM EST
4 posts from 4 users

So I bought Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (BL:TPS) a few weeks ago and I felt that it was kind of disappointing, granted Borderlands 2 (BL2) had set the bar. However I didn't expect BL:TPS to out-do BL2, but to be a nice little filler while we wait for Borderlands 3. However BL:TPS had some major flaws that almost put me off it:
-Several of the main missions feel forcefully stretched-out by having your path obstructed and then having to take a detour to unobstruct it (seriously count how many times it happens).
-Less Loot; I spent most of the game using guns I got from side missions mainly because there's way less loot chests (at least that's what it feels like).
-The Raid Boss: Expecting another super-hard bonus boss? Well sorry, BL:TPS's raid boss is just the last boss in the story mission (which I may say was quite boring last boss) just a few level higher (Level 30 on my Normal Playthrough).
-Lack of enemy variety; this wouldn't be so many of a problem if, as I mentioned early, the game wasn't so padded and had you fighting the same enemies for most of the story missions.

However, there are a few things the game does well:
+The story; I won't spoil it.
+The player character[s] reacting to events in the main and side mission which does add some reply value.
+Janey Springs; mainly this moment between her and Athena which I found to be one of the most emotional moments in gaming (to me anyway).
Warning Light Spoilers

+Lasers, nuff said.

While Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is not a bad game, it could have been far better if the developer hadn't tried so hard to stretch-out for a longer playthrough time.

Last edited Jan 17, 2015 at 04:20PM EST

The inevitable wait for endless DLC that makes the game 10x better for 10x the price begins. Borderlands 2 was nice because it was a huge improvement on BL1 and set a nice new pace. It barely took itself seriously, played wonderfully, and offered tons of new and interesting stuff to do in a parody-FPS. It's pretty unreasonable to expect the same from the pre-sequel considering they ran out of ideas halfway through the Campaign of Carnage and Dragon Keep DLCs.

The pre-sequel really just suffers from the same problems BL2 had without all the padding to make it feel less crappy.

In all honesty, the Borderlands games were meant to be played in a large group anyways. The shallow story, forgetful characters, and meaningless side tasks didn't bother you if you had someone else to enjoy it with. And then steal loot from. And then kill in a duel.

TL;DR Borderlands is a parody of games (and by extension, it's older self) and if you don't play it with friends as stupid as you are it really isn't supposed to be fun at all.

To be fair, the Warrior was pretty anti-climatic. Although I was playing as Psycho, with the Badass Mutant tree maxed out soooooo.

TL;DR Should have just been a DLC. That seems to be what their comfort zone is anyway

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!