Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Wanted Pokemon for Pokken Fighters

Last posted Jan 25, 2015 at 02:16AM EST. Added Jan 23, 2015 at 05:24PM EST
19 posts from 15 users

Well, I just watched the new trailer and the gameplay for Pokken, and jeez, does that look awesome. I can't wait until it gets moved to Wii U, probably around November-December 2015. Anyways, I think that these would be my top 10 wanted fighters, and as a warning, there will be a lot of Steel-type in this list, but I will try to refrain from only Steel-Types
1: Genesect.

Since my avatar is Genesect, and he is my favorite Pokemon, this should be expected from me. I think his style would revolve around fast attacks, and his techno blast being different with each drive: Fire: stage control/damage; Douse: Stage Control; Shock: Anti-Air or Stun; Freeze: Air Launcher, similar to the freezie in SSB.
2: Mewtwo

Wanted by many, he/she/it is high on the list of many, due to its deep backstory and incredulous abilities. Gameplay would most likely revolve around a balanced attack and probably teleporting to confuse opponents to keep pressure off or put pressure on. (No pun intended)
3: Aegislash

Since the fighters aren't limited by typing or if they're bipedal, this spirit sword is high on my list. He might be somewhat slow, but with Stance Change being utilized in battle, you'll be able to slice up your foes, or keep them off of you, just be sure to plan your attacks wisely.
4: Bisharp

Bisharp, probably one of the Pokemon that's just a punching bag for Fighting-types can get his revenge. His style would most likely be little range, but decently fast, running around the stage and some acrobatic tricks in the mix to put a hurt on his opponents, no matter what he hits them with. Dodge and counter, slice and dice, block and stab.
5: Lopunny

Although Lopunny can't take hits very well, they can sure deal them out excellent. Lopunny would be fast, agile, and would jump high, making your opponents think twice about using air launchers.
6: Sceptile

Sceptiles are fast, agile hunters of the forest. Known for their signature move, Leaf Blade and amazing sweeping, they strike through opponents with ease. Sceptile would be undoubtedly fast and agile, but would have some techniques to keep his defense up.
7: Greninja

Fast, confusing, and deadly, this Ninja Pokemon will have your opponents constantly thinking with moves both to throw opponents back and to you, and make their shields beg for mercy.
8: Flygon

Fast and known as the Mystic Pokemon, Flygons are known for their attack prowess and ground powers that could rival Groudon. In Pokken, Flygon would be fast and would rush you down in a heartbeat, instantly tearing at your life and shield, but once left open, will be taken down if not careful.
9: Regis

Although not technically one Pokemon, all the legendary golems would be interesting choices, trading out speed for stage control and defense, while Regigigas may be slow at first, but once he activates his power, will tear at you quickly.
10: Hawlucha

The Wrestling Pokemon, Hawlucha will take both to the skies and the ground to grab opponents and toss them around like nothing. Hawlucha dives, presses, and bombs you as you whittles away your health.

So, what are your ideas?

Since the fighters aren’t limited by typing or if they’re bipedal,

I can't help but be doubtful about this. Tekken's had some pretty odd characters in the past, but they've all been bipedal. In fact, fighting game characters are almost always bipedal no matter what their genre, and I can't think of even a single fighter that doesn't walk on legs.* The likely reason for this is that a quadrupedal or floating character would be extremely awkward to design a moveset for an animate – can you picture Aegislash doing a roll? It would also be difficult to control a floating character, since it would be nigh impossible to determine whether the game considers the character on the ground or in the air at any point on their ascent or descent from a jump. As most fighting game chars have different air and ground attacks, whether the char is considered on or off the ground by the game can make a big difference.

Besides, Pokemon has plenty of viable fighters with legs. It wouldn't be difficult to make a good roster using only bipedal mons.

*Superman in Injustice: Gods Among Us floats in his standing animation, but unlike Aegislash he actually has legs and feet. This means that he can use them in some animations. It also resolves the ground/air issue by having one of his feet barely touch the ground during his standing animation, thus providing a clear difference between his stances in the air and on the ground.

After Shock wrote:

Meloetta…

also I'm pretty sure there's a Touhou fighter with floating characters

Is this what you're referring to?

The characters can fly around the stage, sure, but the player can clearly tell the difference between when they are supposed to be in the air and on the ground, since their feet can be seen on the floor. Pokemon such as Aegislash have no feet; thus, there isn't any way to tell the difference.

@DAHAKA

Lugia is too big, seriously. Judging from the visibly large size difference between Pikachu and the other Pokemon in the recent trailer, Pokken Tournament will keep the fighters to scale with their sizes listed in the Pokedex. Lugia is 17 feet tall, so it'd take up half the arena.

Snickerway wrote:

The characters can fly around the stage, sure, but the player can clearly tell the difference between when they are supposed to be in the air and on the ground, since their feet can be seen on the floor. Pokemon such as Aegislash have no feet; thus, there isn't any way to tell the difference.

@DAHAKA

Lugia is too big, seriously. Judging from the visibly large size difference between Pikachu and the other Pokemon in the recent trailer, Pokken Tournament will keep the fighters to scale with their sizes listed in the Pokedex. Lugia is 17 feet tall, so it'd take up half the arena.

so lugia is the ridley of pokken oh the irony i was joking about lugia being playable

Last edited Jan 23, 2015 at 10:49PM EST

Snickerway wrote:

Since the fighters aren’t limited by typing or if they’re bipedal,

I can't help but be doubtful about this. Tekken's had some pretty odd characters in the past, but they've all been bipedal. In fact, fighting game characters are almost always bipedal no matter what their genre, and I can't think of even a single fighter that doesn't walk on legs.* The likely reason for this is that a quadrupedal or floating character would be extremely awkward to design a moveset for an animate – can you picture Aegislash doing a roll? It would also be difficult to control a floating character, since it would be nigh impossible to determine whether the game considers the character on the ground or in the air at any point on their ascent or descent from a jump. As most fighting game chars have different air and ground attacks, whether the char is considered on or off the ground by the game can make a big difference.

Besides, Pokemon has plenty of viable fighters with legs. It wouldn't be difficult to make a good roster using only bipedal mons.

*Superman in Injustice: Gods Among Us floats in his standing animation, but unlike Aegislash he actually has legs and feet. This means that he can use them in some animations. It also resolves the ground/air issue by having one of his feet barely touch the ground during his standing animation, thus providing a clear difference between his stances in the air and on the ground.

But Suicune is already in tho. There will at least be potential for several quadruped 'mons, so why not?

Snickerway wrote:

@DAHAKA

I don't think so. The fighting game I was referring to is called Hopeless Masquerade

Supreme the Lurking Monitor wrote:

But Suicune is already in tho. There will at least be potential for several quadruped 'mons, so why not?

In that case, the Swords of Justice should be included in there. I was really peeved when Keldeo was only made a Pokeball Pokémon in Smash, so I really hope the creators here see the potential.

Last edited Jan 24, 2015 at 12:23AM EST

After Shock wrote:

Meloetta…

also I'm pretty sure there's a Touhou fighter with floating characters

Hopeless Masquerade has Elevation as part of it's core mechanics and all of the characters have that, unlike Pokken Fighters. Flying fighters would have to either be limited to a certain elevation above the ground to be fair to all the other fighters, or would be forced to land every so often.

I think it would be nice to see Swampert make it in. He's got a Mega Evolution and everything! I wouldn't be surprised to see Blaziken make the cut. Ya know, I don't think either three of the Tao trio (Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem) are to big to make it in, when it comes to Legendaries. I'd be cool if at least one of them made it in.

Dag, there are so many possibilities…

Honestly I don't need to explain Blaziken. It's pretty obvious.

Keeping up the SSB tradition, I guess. Or potential (lethal) joke character.

The least amount of chance happening (possibly because of levitation), but it could have been nice seeing her.

I want to see some sick combos with the horn and enhanced mobility with the mega evolves wings

Hopefully a similar style to Gardevoir but with more fire based attacks with the wand

I keep forgetting this guy is only the height of a normal human, but same with Absol I'd like to see the horns used

Zoroaks illusion ability would make a cool addition, but kinda pointless if you see the player choosing it

Long range stretchy grass punches, nuff said

Throwing sucker punches left and right whilst chomping the enemy to death

Garchomp, image speaks for itself

Lots of others I could think of, but these are just some of my favorite. I'll probably main Lucario like I do in Smash.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!