Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Manga General 4: Surely it won't die this time!

Last posted Mar 19, 2016 at 11:17PM EDT. Added Jan 11, 2016 at 03:10PM EST
32 posts from 16 users

Seeing as how the last couple attempts to revive the first manga general thread haven't fared so well, I'd figure that maybe with the time gap this new one will have some staying potential.

Basically, post about anything concerning manga. Talk about a manga your reading/read, a manga you're curious about, or news about manga artists.

So to start off, I am going to talk about Dead Tube. if interested

I first heard about it from a comment section here and, being curious, I decided to read it. After reading all the chapters I can say that I was really disappointed by that manga. I didn't like any of the characters (and any I started to like either die or became psychopaths in two chapters) and there doesn't seem to be any story progression beyond "what fucked up thing can we do this week?". I believe that the writer was trying to make some sort commentary on society with the whole "people like to watch sex and/or death" thing, but it honestly fell flat with me.
Last edited Jan 11, 2016 at 03:11PM EST

Freakenstein wrote:

Kinda wondering where the updates on My Hero Academy and Danmachi are. The former hasn't even finished the arc, and I don't even know about Danmachi, this series is new for me.

On My Hero Academy, when was the last time you checked? the last chapter I read came out on the 7th.

I read Ranma 1/2 and a bunch of Pokemon series in the early 2000's. A long, long gap without manga followed and then, on november of 2013, I discovered Hellsing (which was weird because, years before that, I had watched the anime).
After that, my interests in manga skyrocketed in the form of Attack on Titan, Gantz (both that I'm currently reading) and Resident Evil. The latter, a short series of 5 volumes.

I'll add on this that, most of the times, I refuse to read manga online due to my preferences of physical (I can blame the Manga division of Panini for that).

Right now, my wishlist consists of Death Note, Berserk, Vinland Saga and the entire work of Junji Ito.

Last edited Jan 11, 2016 at 06:07PM EST

I feel like I need to read all of Berserk again since it's been so long since the last update. I don't even remember why they got into the boat on the first place.

On a side note, I'm a bit annoyed with how long it takes to update Monster Musume and Hitomi Sensei's Infirmary. I want my monster girls dammit.

Freakenstein wrote:

If it's #74, linkie plz. Otherwise, #73 was out for a couple weeks.

Sorry, I confused My Hero Academy with another manga for some reason. Guess that's what happens when you're running on 2 hours of sleep.

Last edited Jan 11, 2016 at 07:30PM EST

No new Boku Hero No Academia yet and I dunno about Danmachi, all I know is the manga catched up to the 4th or 5th novel, can't remember which one exactly.

I feel like I need to read all of Berserk again since it’s been so long since the last update.

Oh same, but in my case I just have to re-read it, it's a really good story. Shame Miura put it on hiatus…again.

Screw you miura.

I don’t even remember why they got into the boat on the first place.

Casca went full retard lol

Casanova scans disbanded so no more updates of Shokugeki No Souma from them, now it's on Mangastream's hands. Which is inconvinient because now I have go to their webapge rather than reading them on batoto. And OPM's updates are hell, 6 pages for the love of god.

If we are talking about reccomendations, I suggest mangas like:

Last edited Jan 11, 2016 at 08:51PM EST

Cool, I was wondering if we had a thread on this

So who here enjoys 4-panels? I personally love Seitokai Yakuindomo (and Kinmoza obviously). It's funny, they're complete antitheses really.

I stopped reading Hero Academia until I saw this and I knew I had to come back to it

I re-read Berserk like every 2 months, it really never gets old, right now reading 20th Century Boys and it's fantastic

Last edited Jan 11, 2016 at 10:31PM EST

ballstothewall wrote:

So who here enjoys 4-panels? I personally love Seitokai Yakuindomo (and Kinmoza obviously). It's funny, they're complete antitheses really.

I haven't heard of either one before, would you recommend them?

quavalin wrote:

I haven't heard of either one before, would you recommend them?

Depends if you like slice of life mate, which both fall into.

Kiniro Mosaic is fairly straightforward, a yuri-ish cutesy story about an English-Japanese cross-cultural exchange and beautiful friendships. Mostly it's just a series of cute or funny moments

Seitokai Yakuindomo is basically the Inbetweeners except they are Japanese females and actually high up in their school hierarchy. Basically it gives the middle finger to the "perfect school princess" character type because most of them turn out to be really dirty minded or stupid or both. There is virtually no plot and actually it doesn't use sexual fanservice either. It's very much a "normal person snarks at the crazy people around them" type of series. However there's a fair bit of wordplay that enters "untranslatable" territory.

ballstothewall wrote:

I love 4 panel comics. Mainly because most of them are of the Slice of Life variety, which is one of my favorite genres.

The ones I read (or rather wait patiently for new chapters) are:

Yandere Kanojo
Aho Girl
Tsuzurere Children
Hidamari Sketch
Azumanga Daioh (though this is already completed)

ballstothewall wrote:

Depends if you like slice of life mate, which both fall into.

Kiniro Mosaic is fairly straightforward, a yuri-ish cutesy story about an English-Japanese cross-cultural exchange and beautiful friendships. Mostly it's just a series of cute or funny moments

Seitokai Yakuindomo is basically the Inbetweeners except they are Japanese females and actually high up in their school hierarchy. Basically it gives the middle finger to the "perfect school princess" character type because most of them turn out to be really dirty minded or stupid or both. There is virtually no plot and actually it doesn't use sexual fanservice either. It's very much a "normal person snarks at the crazy people around them" type of series. However there's a fair bit of wordplay that enters "untranslatable" territory.

I went and started reading both of them, and I got to say that I have really come to enjoy this kind of manga. I have been reading all these super serious mangas lately, so it's a breath of fresh air to read something light-hearted.

Okay, if you guys are into some spooky scary manga then I have a something for you. After watching a video on creepy manga I start reading Fuan No Tane. It is different from most horror mangas in being that it is a collection of short stories, some being only two pages long. However it is still pretty creepy.

Last edited Jan 13, 2016 at 03:14PM EST

Freakenstein wrote:

Kinda wondering where the updates on My Hero Academy and Danmachi are. The former hasn't even finished the arc, and I don't even know about Danmachi, this series is new for me.

Jump is on break, and releases on the 14th, Boku no Hero ain't hiatusing don't worry

Currently reading the No. 6 Series and kinda quickly fell in love with it. Nice creepy utopian setting, weird sciencey horrors, very well fleshed out and emotional characters… can't get enough of it. Actually gonna buy the rest of the series, and I haven't done that in a very long time.

(Yes, I know about the gay part. I'm fine with Gay realistic relationships, I just don't like the manly but beautiful but also manly oily Yaoi.)

Other Manga I'm currently reading is UQ Holder as fast as it cares to bleed out into stores. Anyone needlessly meticulous enough to find out what my last name is based off of will know I'm a stupidly big fan of Negima, so a less haremey adventure in the same awesome universe is just a rush of nostalgia injected directly into the arm.

I tried out Magical Girl Site (Mahou Shoujo Site). It's by the same author as Magical Girl Apocalypse, only with a much better premise & characters. Still a bit violent but it's nowhere near as gratuitous. A really big improvement.

I haven't looked at much manga in my time, but right now I am reading Yotsubato at the behest of Minty. It really is good; I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

what I've read recently

Tenkuu Shinpan

Fuuka

Ana Satsujin

and many more

Most manga I read is Ecchi, Horror, Slice of Life, Harem, Supernatural, etc.

Last edited Feb 03, 2016 at 07:46PM EST

ballstothewall wrote:

Vaz what's with the bloody box cutter girl? What's that about?

it's a story about a suicidal NEET and his discovery of a murderous neighbor through a peephole.
She is a serial killer the box cutter is her weapon of choice.

So, i've been doing some physical manga collecting. So far, i've managed to have a complete collection of The Future Diary, Iris Zero, The Law of Ueki Plus, and Yotsuba&!.
I've also been collecting Bakuman, The Seven Deadly Sins, Crime Edge, Beelzebub, Berserk, Bakaramon, and some local mangas.

Last edited Feb 05, 2016 at 12:44AM EST

I'll try to recarm this with something more interesting than "bump".

One thing I like about manga is that…anime these days feels all the same. Same character archetypes, same plots, same concepts, same tropes, same everything. Meanwhile, manga shows far more variety more frequently, even if just comparatively. To me, modern anime feels like CoD with the ocasional Battlefield, while manga feels more like Final Fantasy.

I ocasionally go to Mangafox or similar sites to see if there's any new, interesting manga. Currently, I've found 2: Tatoe Hai ni Natte mo, and Mayonaka no X Giten. There was also the Bookmark of Demise manga that I always forget about until years later…

I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for mangas? I'm not too picky about the genre; reading at least a bit of these 3 should give you an idea of what I like, though I don't mind comedies. I don't care if it's Shonen, Shojo, Seinen or Jousei either.

PS: Also, I heard Big Order has a manga. Is it true?

LiveandSound wrote:

I'll try to recarm this with something more interesting than "bump".

One thing I like about manga is that…anime these days feels all the same. Same character archetypes, same plots, same concepts, same tropes, same everything. Meanwhile, manga shows far more variety more frequently, even if just comparatively. To me, modern anime feels like CoD with the ocasional Battlefield, while manga feels more like Final Fantasy.

I ocasionally go to Mangafox or similar sites to see if there's any new, interesting manga. Currently, I've found 2: Tatoe Hai ni Natte mo, and Mayonaka no X Giten. There was also the Bookmark of Demise manga that I always forget about until years later…

I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for mangas? I'm not too picky about the genre; reading at least a bit of these 3 should give you an idea of what I like, though I don't mind comedies. I don't care if it's Shonen, Shojo, Seinen or Jousei either.

PS: Also, I heard Big Order has a manga. Is it true?

I would say that anything talked in a positive light in this thread is a good recommendation, but I am sure you've already heard about most of them. Here is some ones that I would recommend:
• Holyland- Martial Arts/Drama manga about a social recluse who decides to wander the streets at night.
•Tower of God- Fantasy/adventure manga about a boy climbing a giant, multidimensional tower.
•The God of High School- Fighting/Fantasy manga about a competition to see who is the strongest high schooler in Korea.
•21st Century Boys- Sci-fi/Mystery about a group of friends fighting a strange cult.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!