Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,016 total conversations in 115 threads

+ New Thread

Manga General 3: Your favorite manga is SHIIIIITTTT! (But not really)

Last posted Oct 18, 2014 at 08:29PM EDT. Added Oct 18, 2014 at 07:50PM EDT
5 posts from 3 users

Seeing as how the last thread died with practically no activity hope this one fairs better.

Ok, to get the ball rolling I'm gonna get into comparing my two favorite mangas and mangakas of all time. One Piece and Eiichiro Oda and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hirohiko Akari, respectively.

This isn't going to be a one is outright "better" than the other sort of deal. Rather my personal feelings on them, their strengths, weaknesses, differences, and similarities. All divided up into the best categories I can think of.

ART:
Ok, this is going to be a rather difficult one as I will be honest, I love both of their styles, and they are very different from one another. And to to each justice I will have to talk about them in great detail individually.

1. Oda

While some may call it "cartoony" I have to say that Oda's style is quite honestly visually appealing because of that. It gives the characters and settings an energy and fun that quite honestly fits the story's themes of adventure and freedom perfectly. Not being bound by conventional designs allows for him to bound only by his imagination, creating an incredible variety among his characters (with some admitted problems with female design) which they're are a lot of and create islands and places so weird and amazing that they could only exist on the grand line.

One of the best examples of Oda's cartoony style in action as far as I think, is in it's Skypeia arc.

In said arc, it's main antagonist, Enel, ate the "Thunder-Thunder Fruit". Turning him into a "lightning" man, allowing him to produce endless amounts of it, a well as invulnerability to physical blows

For most of the arc Enel is completely untouchable, no one being able to lay a finger on him, as well as his fruit allowing him to easily overpower anyone is his way. Living like this his whole life, his demeanor clearly reflects this, always with a placid or amused look on his face, and a raging god complex to boot.

Then he meets Luffy, who ate the "Gum-Gum Fruit", giving him rubber powers. And thus, not only are all of Enel's direct lightning attacks completely useless against him, but Luffy can also hit him something that no one has ever been able to do.

When he finds this out, by firsthand experience, his reaction is clear, to the point, and takes up an entire page:

Complete and utter shock, his whole world being turned upside down backflipping 3 times in a row and then finishing it off with a one handed cartwheel and a perfect split. Beyond any words to possibly describe it much less attempt to even convey it without this face….and the buildup makes the execution feel real enough to touch.

However, this "cartoony" style doesn't mean he's incapable of detail.

More often than not, his panel placement in addition to his style with it often makes it feel as if the pace is kept up despite the two page spread. With the additional impact of the art itself.

Not to also mention his amazing attention to detail and the sheer amount of things that go on in the background further enable the world he has created to truly seem to come to life. Even further when taking into account the constantly expanding scope of the One Piece world, you never feel as if anything has ever been completely forgotten.

As interactions with other factions in the world is clearly seen.

2. Akari

Ok, now when you mention Akari, there's one thing that's very apparent and important.

His style has changed a lot over the years, and I do mean a lot.

Going from this:

To this:

Not objectively "better", just vastly different.

However, the things I love about it still remain the same (though more apparent in the later parts in combination with the concept of stands)

For one, Akari has always had a knack for detail that only got better and applied to more things as time as time went on. For instance, here's DIO meeting Poleraif for the first time unshadowed.

Doesn't that just scream "Sup bitches. I, DIO, am back. Prepare your anuses."

Akari's uses his style in detail to not only draw something that's beautiful to look at, but also gives a sort of "frame in time" of emotion and tone. Something to instantly impact you and get you to feel how he wants you to instantly.

Though this is present all throughout the series…

It is best seen in Steel Ball Run and Jojolion. As they (unlike the rest of the series) have operated on a monthly schedule, rather than a weekly one.

However, the main appeal (at least to me) of the series art is along the same lines as Oda….

The series is called "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" for a reason, it's bizarre as all hell. And that means it doesn't have to follow the conventional rules, this is reflected in both the character designs and stands, simply running free with whatever the hell Akari wants.

This is where I truly have to give Akari props, what could have cool all by itself is multiplied by what he puts to it. Seen here in a prime example:

At it's core, these are two people who are going to play "rock, paper, scissors", it's as simple as that.

Akari takes it to a whole new level, just look at it, how up to eleven the whole scenario is. Two outlandish characters pitted against one and another in a grandiose final clash of an all or nothing battle. The perspective is turned so that the whole city looks small compared to them, as if the whole world hinges on this one moment.

And at it's core it's a 20 something VS a little kid in a rock, paper, scissors match.

Last edited Oct 18, 2014 at 08:15PM EDT

PT.2

STORY:

Ok, as with before there are differences, however there is one very important one you must consider before even beginning to try and compare the two.

Though Jojo currently has a run of almost 30 years (28 to be exact), and over a 100 volumes (111 to be exact) it is divided up into 8 different parts that are loosely connected with one and another, each part with a new main protagonist and (mostly) new supporting cast, and a new story (the series has also been on a monthly schedule since 2004).

The 2 most recent parts (Steel Ball Run and Jojolion) are even more detached, taking place in an alternate universe independent in continuity from the past 6 parts.

One Piece on the other hand, though it has only been running for 17 years and has a total of 75 volumes, has followed the same story since it's start, continuously building on top of itself in a constantly expanding world, introducing new characters, places, and conflicts.

This makes direct comparison almost impossible, as through Jojo's run Akari has been able to start with what is essentially a fresh new slate 8 times while Oda is bound to just one.

Though Akari has had the privilege of having a new slate from part to part. That doesn't mean any less when it comes to constructing stories. Though very rough at first, slowly but surely Akari's writing improved, being able to write memorable and fantastic characters from part to part with the occasional slip up (I'm looking at you Giorno).

The same is with story set up, villains and conflicts and events. The only major issue being with consistency at times, as well as the occasional slip up (Diavolo and GER).

However, I won't talk about it in complete depth. Due to the comparison troubles, however I will say that overall Jojo earns a sincere 10/10 for what is quite honestly one of the best stories I have ever read.

Moving on to One Piece, there is one thing I will say to get it out of the way, I think that Oda is one of the most talented and skilled mangakas around today considering the workload he has in front of him.

And that workload is handling and orchestrating the massive and complex world he has created over the past 17 years around Luffy and his crew; in addition to connecting the different elements and characters in this world to one another creatively. As well as distributing out focus as Luffy's crew slowly grew. And to be frank, that requires one thing that Akari in all honesty lacks. Planning and consistency. Something Oda has proven himself to be a master at.

The best example of this is seen in the Sabaody Archipelago arc.

Stepping back, in the very beginning of the series, we found out from Buggy, that he and Shanks (Luffy's inspiration to become a pirate, later reviled to be a Yonko, one of the four strongest pirates in the world), used to be on the same ship. A seen in a flash back as they are scolded by another crew mate. We later find out that that crew was in fact the one of the late Pirate King, Gold Roger.

And in the Sabaody Archipelago arc Luffy and his crew come upon Silvers Rayleigh, the aged first mate and right hand man to Gold Roger himself.

These chapters where hundreds of chapters away from eachother.

Also another thing deserving of praise is that Oda has been able to keep the themes of One Piece consistent throughout it's long run, while encountering a large variety of challenges and obstacles.

Though a weak point that is sometimes encountered is that Oda can sometimes rehash certain characters.

POWERS:

Though this could be considered a subset of story, it is still has a lot of prevalence in both works. In the form of "Stands" and "Devil Fruits", I honestly think that these two are very similar and both do a fantastic job at improving their respective works.

Both have a basic set of "rules": with Devil Fruits, losing the ability to swim and weakness to seastone. And with Stands: Only people who have stands can see stands, and only another stand can hurt a stand.

Both allow their users a wide variety of interesting, powerful, and cool abilities that the user can further develop by becoming more adept and creative with it. With Devil Fruits, Luffy's Second Gear and Third Gear techniques; and with Stands Johnny Joestar's Tusk Acts 2, 3, and 4.

And finally, both are very balanced. Just "having one" doesn't make you invincible. In other mangas, power scaling can become a major issue and take it's toll on the story. One Piece and Jojo avoid the worst of it by balancing out their abilities, there is no Stand or Devil Fruit that is invincible (except GER….which was an asspull.) yes there are ones that are incredibly strong and powerful, but they still have their weaknesses. The same is with "weak" Stands or Devil Fruits, while they may appear weak or useless, they can sometimes deal devastating blows in the right situations. Sometimes defeating even the most powerful Stands or Devil Fruits by themselves.

Well….this is all I could think of at the moment. Hope this thread actually gets some life in it. Tell me if you think I'm accurate, have any other comparisons, or just to have a discussion about manga.

Feel free.

Last edited Oct 18, 2014 at 08:08PM EDT

Loli wrote:

Same.

@OP

I put all the images under spoiler tags, you can still see them but that way it won't kill our browsers.

Yes, I noticed.

Thank you for that!

I'll try to remember to do that in the future in posts with a lot of images XD.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!