Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Currently reading thread

Last posted Aug 11, 2016 at 04:20AM EDT. Added Mar 13, 2016 at 07:50PM EDT
31 posts from 22 users

Post books,manga,comics light novels, etc that you are currently reading or will read .

Books :

"The bad girl" from Mario Vargas Llosa(a book that I had the obligation to read in the past semester but I am reading it again)

"The hobbit "by J.R.R. Tolkien (translated to Portuguese)

"Classi-files les nouveaux dossiers de la presse anglo-saxonne" (a book with English news articles with some data about the theme in French)

Books I will read in the future "the pastures of heaven and other stories" by John Steinbeck(English) and "Henry & June" by Anaïs Nin (translated to Portuguese).

Mangas :

One Piece
Bleach
One punch man (both versions)
Terraformars
Inuyasha
Peephole

Something that I obligated to read for a class

Interpreting gender by Linda Nicholson (it's gets confusing sometimes).

Last edited Mar 13, 2016 at 07:50PM EDT

I am currently procrastinating reading "Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick. I fell in love with the amazon series so I figured I owed it to myself to read the source material. Its great but WOW is the racism almost uncomfortable to read (which is rather true-to-life for that setting).

Only a few chapters in but I highly recommend it and the Amazon prime adaptation.

Last edited Mar 13, 2016 at 08:09PM EDT

Mark Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. I bet you didn't know he wrote historical fiction, did you? He actually put a lot of research into this book (seven years, he claimed) and its supposed to somewhat accurately represent the real life of Joan of Arc. I've always liked this particular historical figure so I decided to do some research, found this book. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'm gonna pull a bit of a stretch on the topic here and say the the audio book that I'm currently listening to is "The Great Ideas of Philosophy 2nd Edition" by The Great Courses/Daniel N. Robinson.

If I haven't got a mistaken amazon order, I would be reading "Sophie's World" by this point.

I'm an English teaching major, so I'm not reading a lot for fun. However, here's what I'm reading for classes:

For "Masculinity in the American West" I'm reading:

For "Teaching Secondary Writing & Lit" I've got:

Last edited Mar 15, 2016 at 02:56AM EDT

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The interests I have about the Cold War stretch into many, diverse themes, one of which is the USSR. As far as I can remember, I've always had a curiosity to learn about the russian culture of that age (literally anything). As a result, I discovered this book which narrates, like the title says, his life in a gulag, who, in turn, happens to be something that Solzhenitsyn himself lived in the flesh.

I finished the "The bad girl" and "Classi-files" and I started "Henry and June" and I read a chapter from "complete robot " by Isaac Assimov and a essay from a columnist both of them for a class were I was assigned to find figures of speech.

My book reading order was completely messed up with some obligatory essays on African identity in the post-colonial era that I had to read for a test and Manga with the name of Bitter Virgin that is an emotional ride that keep me invested to it until the end.

I Half way through Henry and June and I liked the erotism in it (if you know other erotic books,recommend me some please )
The hobbit has been neglected a bit and with the new book that I have to read for a class ( "Rio de flores" by Miguel Sousa Tavares) is on hold.

Mecha Harambe wrote:

Reading Their Eyes are Watching God for English class. I hate it, the dialogue is spoken in Southern slang and is tedious to read

I dunno I liked it. It's the story how Janie becomes a strong independent black woman who don't need no man.

btw now reading Debt: the first 5000 years by David Graeber

elmashojaldra wrote:

I've been reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk, and as far it's really is an interesting book: the parallelism between Occident and the Middle East, the Islam vs. the State conflict, the PKK, politics, history and stuff. But most of all, it really forces me to make a Jojo reference every time I read the name of the place where the main events of the story happens.

Since I don't want this thread closed I'm gonna say that I finished reading the book I was reading and quite frankly if I need to give a rating it would be a 3/5; there some parts I enjoyed for the book and some other let me with the feel that I was reading a Mexican soap opera (and there was a reference of that on book). But yeah I need to revisited it one day to see if I can change my opinion.

And now I'm currently reading "The Grapes of Wrath" and I'm enjoying for now, but then again, there's some parts that I feel it like it was filler: for example that chapter were Steinbeck talks about a turtle waling on the highway. But I'm not nearly as close were the dark stuff happened to the Joads (for now), so lets take it easy.

Damn you work that doesn't let me read my shit!

My reading has been a little off with group assignments ,preparing to do a class on "interpreting gender" and tests ,"Rio de frores" became obligatory for the exam so i will have to read it multiple times.
My teacher recommended to read "nikeche a polygamy story" by Paula chiziane ,initially it was for a class there was a shortage of it ,but a few day a she handed it out for all the students but it's not obligatory to read it i could later give it a read but the teacher spoiled the ending …..

I'm trying to improve my reading abilities, so I started reading How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler. I'm not far into the book so I can't really make a full comment on it yet, but I plan on reading it in its entirety.

Last edited May 31, 2016 at 03:14PM EDT

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
(Translated by Thomas Cleary)

I've been wanting to read this for a while and I finally picked up a copy a few weeks back. Been liking it so far.

After seeing the review of The Host that YMS did, I decided I'd give a read to the original book The Host by Stephenie Meyer to see if it's any better than the movie.
Suffice to say, it is not. I even argue that the movie might be BETTER than the book because at least I can better make fun of the movie.
I've also been reading the book Space Marines, which is a collection of about 40 different short stories about Space Marines written by varying authors. I've been reading about one story a day for about 20 days now, so I'm about halfway through. So far quality's been depending on the author of the story in question.

Last edited Jun 30, 2016 at 10:47AM EDT

I've got a few books I'm working on.

• The Art of War

I just finished The Prince so I figured why not.

• 10 Great Works of Philosophy

Not planning on reading all of them. I'm working on Utilitarianism and The Ontological Proof of St. Anselm first. Probably go to St. Thomas’ Proofs of God’s Existence after those.

• The Silenced Majority

This one is a bit odd, as it's not in a regular style, but rather as a collection of articles. As such, I'm reading whichever one catches my eye. I started with the articles on government leaks.

• Economics in One Lesson

Easy to read and I'm learning a lot. Note that this takes a heavily conservative/libertarian view of economics. I'd still recommend it regardless. I plan to try checking out some books that take a liberal view later – maybe something by Keynes.

• A Game of Thrones

Excellent book, but very slow reading. I also have a hard time finding a good scenario to read it. To really enjoy it I need it to be quiet, and my attention undivided.

Edit:* Oh yes, and one other.

• Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate

Octopuses are really cool. Did you know mother octopuses won't eat while they devote the last portion of their life to taking care of the eggs she laid? Awesome.

Last edited Jul 02, 2016 at 09:04PM EDT

I finished Les Misérables; I'm now onto The Picture of Dorian Gray and a Microeconomics textbook I picked up at a thrift store for $5 (and its accompanying study guide which was an additional $5).

Gentleman Pyro wrote:

Decided to get started on the Dune series. A friend of mine recommended that I start with Children of Dune so I went with that.

I would honestly read the first one though, it's fantastic. Might I ask why your friend suggested starting in the third book?

I finished the first Dune last summer and I'm working on Dune Messiah. Absolutely love the series. It's got a great plot and extremely well-done worldbuilding that I can't resist reading the rest of the series (or at least the ones Frank Herbert himself wrote, I heard that the newer ones are horrid).

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!