Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Why is Steel Ball Run so loved (NO SPOILERS).

Last posted Aug 22, 2017 at 10:06PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2017 at 10:24AM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

Everyone praises that arc like it is the second coming of Jesus Christ. It is the #2 highest rated Manga on MyAnimeList, everywhere I go on forums people can't stop praising it. At this point it might as well give everybody a hand job. I am currently on Stone Ocean so I don't understand what all the hype is about, which makes me incredibly curious.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Well, there's various elements.
Personally, I find the beginning a little meh, as in the fights are damn fun but you don't really care much about the story itself, but once the main plotline strikes it gets miles better. The fights don't drop in quality or quantity, but now there's something to earn at every step.
And really, it's a place where you can really see Araki flex his creative muscle in terms of stands. It's like he ran out of the most typical ideas and, once forced to come up with something else, found treasure.
The characters themselves are great as well, you get to be invested in each and every one, and they all stand out well in one way or another. There's a lot of development in that aspect.
And finally, once you get past the fact Araki kinda forgot how to draw different faces, the art is amazing.
That's… basically my opinion there.

The way i can describe it, it's one of the most maturely written JoJo story in the entire saga. It's pretty dark, featuring what can be considered the least good JoJo in a moral stance. Unlike previous parts where it's either saving the world or stopping Dio and his minions, Johnny's motivation throughout the story mostly selfish. Some fans might argue that Valentine is more justified in his actions as the antagonist than Johnny is as the main protagonist.
Besides that, the setting really takes advantage the fact that its a race that spans all of the USA in the 19th century. You have various locales and a unique variation of enemies Johnny and Gyro face off against that came all over the world to participate in the Steel Ball Run. I could go on like how Valentine is written as a very likeable villain, how Diego is more than the "i'm evil because i can" guy his original incarnation was, how unique the story behind the stands and the spin are, and all other stuff.
The most important thing is that Araki done a very terrific job rebooting the JoJo universe with SBR. If anything, Part 7 is his magnum opus.

ShadmanStrikes wrote:

Everyone praises that arc like it is the second coming of Jesus Christ

Well…funny that you phrased it that way, especially when…nah, i'll let it find out yourself.

Last edited Aug 22, 2017 at 01:36PM EDT

superjumpman wrote:

ShadmanStrikes wrote:

Everyone praises that arc like it is the second coming of Jesus Christ

Well…funny that you phrased it that way, especially when…nah, i'll let it find out yourself.

I know about it. Spoilers suck.

A Cripple who likes balls, an Italian executioner, a cross dressing nun, and a Dinosaur man race across America, finding Jesus' Corpse Parts, and fighting the president with neat hair.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!