Forums / Discussion / General

233,124 total conversations in 7,794 threads

+ New Thread

Underrated Anime shows

Last posted Jun 30, 2014 at 10:23PM EDT. Added Jun 25, 2014 at 12:43AM EDT
28 posts from 14 users

While Dragon Ball,Sailor Moon,One Piece, and Pokemon are well-known in the Anime community. There are some Anime shows that don't get much attention. Well at least to western anime community. But I remember watching some episodes of an anime that doesn't get much attention or isn't well-known. Has anyone on KYM ever watched an Anime that not that many people ever heard or saw before? Because, I find the anime ARIA to be very underrated. Since the series has a very nice and peaceful soundtrack and the art style is magnificent and very beautiful.

Last edited Jun 25, 2014 at 12:48AM EDT

Well this one is easy for me.

Fucking masterpiece.

This also happens to be the only anime series that I've seen all the way through. While the first season (Adventure) was admitidly kind of goofy (but also extremely fun), this one only gets more entertaining and thought-provoking every time I watch it. It's a shame so few people have.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Well this one is easy for me.

Fucking masterpiece.

This also happens to be the only anime series that I've seen all the way through. While the first season (Adventure) was admitidly kind of goofy (but also extremely fun), this one only gets more entertaining and thought-provoking every time I watch it. It's a shame so few people have.

That's the same series that I watched all the way through too. I remember my favorites Digimon being Terriermon, and Lopmon. Which made me want to watch the series on the Internet a few years ago, possibly around the Summer of 2010 or 2011. At first, it started out nicely until the later episodes. Compared to Adventure 01 and 02, this was the darkest out of all of them. I swear, when ever Takato started screaming in later episodes. I felt like I was watching something straight out of DragonBall. Once Leomon got killed, the series started to take itself very seriously!

I do remember an episode where one of the tamers and their Digimon got separated and one of them meet a group of frogs. Who told them to help them out with their Milkshakes so they can feed it to a nearby Digimon or monster. I felt that episode, compared to what I was expecting felt like a "Breather Episode" where you can take a break from all the Drama and violence that happened in a previous episode.

Last edited Jun 25, 2014 at 01:10AM EDT

Espurr wrote:

That's the same series that I watched all the way through too. I remember my favorites Digimon being Terriermon, and Lopmon. Which made me want to watch the series on the Internet a few years ago, possibly around the Summer of 2010 or 2011. At first, it started out nicely until the later episodes. Compared to Adventure 01 and 02, this was the darkest out of all of them. I swear, when ever Takato started screaming in later episodes. I felt like I was watching something straight out of DragonBall. Once Leomon got killed, the series started to take itself very seriously!

I do remember an episode where one of the tamers and their Digimon got separated and one of them meet a group of frogs. Who told them to help them out with their Milkshakes so they can feed it to a nearby Digimon or monster. I felt that episode, compared to what I was expecting felt like a "Breather Episode" where you can take a break from all the Drama and violence that happened in a previous episode.

Dark indeed. I've always been of the opinion that the best kids shows are the ones that try to traumatize them. I'm kind of fucked up like that.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Dark indeed. I've always been of the opinion that the best kids shows are the ones that try to traumatize them. I'm kind of fucked up like that.

The show made me wanted to find more anime that would make me want to watch all the episodes. Last Fall, I decided to watch "Fairy Tail" which is like One Piece but with Magic and Fantasy Elements. Since the show have over 100 episodes, I decided to watch the episode where Charla/Carla debuts to episode 55 where it starts to get serious. I stopped at episode 55, since I lost interest in the show a little. I'm planning on watching episode 56 sometime this summer.

Recently once Space Dandy aired on Adult Swim. I decided to watch all the episodes up to episode 14. I don't know if that was the final episode, or the show is about to start a new season. Anyway I enjoyed Space Dandy, since it reminded me of Bill & Ted Excellent Adventure, and Ghostbusters with a bit of fanservice every once in a while.

Now upon underrated, I could interpret that differently. An anime that is widely unknown in the west but still popular in Japan? And how "unpopular" would it be to be considered underrated. For instance you can find animes on Crunchyroll that are relatively unknown. I'm going to refrain from naming any for now.

Espurr wrote:

Because, I find the anime ARIA to be very underrated. Since the series has a very nice and peaceful soundtrack and the art style is magnificent and very beautiful.

I read the manga, but haven't watched the anime. While not well known, it's definitely unique and wonderful. My laptop wallpapers always default to Aria, even if I change to something else for a while (currently using this one).

TripleA9000 wrote:

Trigun

Trigun!? Underrated!? What madness is this!?

Thought if I think about it, if Trigun counts as underrated, then Great Teacher Onizuka might be underrated too.. They're both awesome though (mainly because of the main character).

As for my own underrated anime. I'd definitely say Serial Experiments Lain. One of the best (if not THE) best anime I've seen. It has a cult classic status though, so it's not compeltely unknown.

Or maybe I should say Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka (Season 1 & Comet in Moominland film), just because of my username, and the fact that it's one of the best shows of my childhood. It's hardly known outside Japan and northern europe, even though it has aired elsewhere.

Last edited Jun 25, 2014 at 06:26AM EDT

The only three animes I can think right at the bat that I think are underratted and good are Fate/Zero (granted it there's the chance it's not underratted anymore but I'm just putting it here just encase), Jormungand, and Psycho-Pass. The irony here is that the second is an anime that deals with weapons dealers yet that one is the lightest out of the other two.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Espurr wrote:

Because, I find the anime ARIA to be very underrated.
ARIA

I really enjoy the anime for how good the soundtrack is. Especially during some moments where you would hear some Opera showing up in certain scenes. Correct me If I'm wrong. but for example an ending to one episode where the girls and Pokoteng see an area that is filled with cherry blossoms. Then all of a sudden, you hear an Opera singer and music playing to fit the ending.

Captain Badass wrote:

I don't usually ever hear people talk about Sunday Without God or Gosick. Both of those were great.

I remember seeing some scenes of Gosick a year ago. It's an interesting anime, that takes place during the Victorian Era and is also a mystery series.

Captain Badass wrote:

I don't usually ever hear people talk about Sunday Without God or Gosick. Both of those were great.

I haven't seen Sunday Without God so I can't comment on that, but you're right about Gosick. I don't think I've ever seen a discussion about it myself.

Underrated anime? Let me just get the list out
-Tsuritama
-Humanity has Declined
-Samurai Flamenco
-Nerima Daikon Brothers
-The Eccentric Family
-Kyousougiga
-Silver Spoon
-The World is Still Beautiful
-The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behaviour
-Mushishi
-Gatchaman Crowds
-Tonari no Seki-kun

Captain Badass wrote:

I don’t usually ever hear people talk about Sunday Without God or Gosick. Both of those were great.

Bullets wrote:

I haven’t seen Sunday Without God so I can’t comment on that, but you’re right about Gosick. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a discussion about it myself.

I've watched a few episodes of Gosick a long time ago. A friend recommended it to me and I plan on watching it after I finish with Aria (recommended by that very same friend).

Just my opinion, but I wish the Saki series was more popular. I can understand why some people probably wouldn't want to watch it (pretty niche series about Riichi Mahjong), but it's got some great character development and it's definitely entertaining. I even decided to learn how to play after watching it.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Infinite Stratos is one that doesn't get a lot of attention, but is definitely worth taking a look at. It's essentially harem + mecha.

Gosick is a very interesting anime, since some people might get distracted by the art style. But when you start to get used to it, its actually a very cool series that is about two detectives and takes place in the Victorian Era.

Espurr wrote:

While Dragon Ball,Sailor Moon,One Piece, and Pokemon are well-known in the Anime community. There are some Anime shows that don't get much attention. Well at least to western anime community. But I remember watching some episodes of an anime that doesn't get much attention or isn't well-known. Has anyone on KYM ever watched an Anime that not that many people ever heard or saw before? Because, I find the anime ARIA to be very underrated. Since the series has a very nice and peaceful soundtrack and the art style is magnificent and very beautiful.

(The) Slayers.
Loads of non-Gundam, non-Macross, non-EVA, non-Gurren-Lagann mecha shows.
Fottins.
Los Jojos.
Los Bobos.
Cromartie High School.
Boku no Pico.

Last edited Jun 25, 2014 at 06:23PM EDT

I'll throw in a few I think are underrated

Blue submarine no.6

really unique short anime.

paranoia agent

still my favorite sifi horror/mystery anime.

Utawarerumono

not the best but hey, I thought it was ok.

now and then here and there

Im not usually a fan of older anime but this one was fucking glorious… and really depressing.

Desert Punk

It got a few good laughs out of me.

And of course FLCL

Whats that you say? FLCL isn't an underrated anime? Wrong. FLCL can never be underated enough.

TripleA9000 wrote:

trigun,

highschool dxd
if you think kill la kill has a lot of fanservice then just watch this anime, is so extreme that the anime in of itself is borderline hentai.

Trigun is not underrated, period.
Even Highschool DxD, for all its excessive fan service, is pretty well liked ( i personally like it). It certainly has enough fans to warrant a third season.

I don't think it's really good, but I did like Recently my sister is unusual. I've noticed though that critics HATE it. So I guess that one

^
Ironically hilarious is good enough for me. I mean, I consider Freddy as FR07 to be one of the most enjoyable animated movies I've ever seen.

Last edited Jun 26, 2014 at 06:39PM EDT

Wouldn't say it's underrated though, that implies that there should be more people who love, which there shouldn't. Underrated to me should be reserved for things of actual quality.

I forgot to mention Chi's Sweet Home and Chi's New Address. I haven't got the chance to watch Chi's New Address but I seen some clips as well as some screenshots of it. So far, it's difficult to find English subs of Chi's Sweet Home, since some eps have Spanish subs and sometimes no subs at all. But I watched the first 3 episodes and they we're cute as hell! I can't wait until Discotek Media finally announces when they will be airing the anime on Television. But I don't know if they are planning to sub it or dub it, or probably both.

Last edited Jun 30, 2014 at 10:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!