Forums / Discussion / General

233,011 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Sticky Sticky
KYM's Moderation Policy Explained

Last posted Jan 02, 2021 at 03:53AM EST. Added Jun 15, 2017 at 06:18PM EDT
13 posts from 9 users

Hello all!

It's come to my attention that a lot of users don't know how KYM's mod team works, especially on the more obscure features such as minor moderator powers and demodding. So, I've compiled an easy-to-reference Google doc that should explain all the basics.

Here's the Google doc. If you have any questions, comments, or think of something you want on there that isn't there already, feel free to bring it up in this thread.

olors64 wrote:

What do these roles "Sr. Entry, Sr. Forum, and Research" mean?

"Senior' is a second-tier moderator, senior is granted powers over two topics (entry, forum, research). Without the 'Senior' part, a moderator would just have powers over one topic. It's in that doc if you wanna read it some more :D

Last edited Jun 15, 2017 at 08:22PM EDT

^ Almost, "Research Moderator" is also a second tier. It's what you get when you're both Forum and Entry. Sr. basically means "media" for some reason in the other two titles.

>privileges

Sorry. I just can't help myself going full sperg for seeing that word. lel

Last edited Jun 16, 2017 at 01:31AM EDT

Samekichi Kiseki wrote:

>tfw no extra title for user powers

It kind of makes sense, as when those mods talk to users, users can tell right away if they are able to ban them or not, making them biased.

"5b. Becoming a moderator
If someone publicly shows they are aiming to be a moderator, explicitly or otherwise, they’ve nearly certainly killed their chances, no matter how much work they do. Community interaction and personality also plays a huge part, as dealing with users and criticism is part of the package."

I've never understood this, if someone is willing to help the site but are just more public about it than others, why do they have a lower shot than others?

I understand cases like mine where you can obviously see that they're in it for the ego, but some people legitimately want to be moderators and are willing to be public about they're love and care for the site, whats wrong with that?

Last edited Jun 17, 2017 at 03:19PM EDT

nobody likes a tryhard who brags about being a tryhard who worships the website. There was a user here who used to brag about being a "high ranked editor at Know Your Meme", suffice to say, the mods didn't really like him because they thought he was too full of himself.

Also we have a mod chat and someone who brags and obsesses over his love of the website would be insufferable on that chat

also when someone is doing stuff just for the purpose of being a mod it is extremely obvious that they're fishing for internet cred which just adds a layer of secondhand embarrassment when looking at them.

actions speak louder than words

Last edited Jun 17, 2017 at 03:37PM EDT

No Original Names wrote:

"5b. Becoming a moderator
If someone publicly shows they are aiming to be a moderator, explicitly or otherwise, they’ve nearly certainly killed their chances, no matter how much work they do. Community interaction and personality also plays a huge part, as dealing with users and criticism is part of the package."

I've never understood this, if someone is willing to help the site but are just more public about it than others, why do they have a lower shot than others?

I understand cases like mine where you can obviously see that they're in it for the ego, but some people legitimately want to be moderators and are willing to be public about they're love and care for the site, whats wrong with that?

Wait, what's that from? Just curious btw

Namaste! You must login or signup first!