Forums / Discussion / General

233,226 total conversations in 7,798 threads

+ New Thread

What makes Wojak memes so popular?

Last posted Jan 29, 2020 at 07:40AM EST. Added Jan 17, 2020 at 01:42PM EST
13 posts from 12 users

I apologize ahead of time if this thread has already been made.

Like seriously, I'm confused as to why these are so prevalent.

They're like a combination of rage comics (which to their credit at least every face is unique and recognizable) and "relatable" comics (which are often the subject of ridicule for being for normies). They're boring, vapid, and lack any kind of imagination whatsoever. They're like astrology signs where characteristics are just generic enough so that someone could say "hey that's just like me".

Honestly I would gladly see a return of rage comics if they took out wojak memes. At least rage comics didn't use -oomer for like 6 different types of people.

You answered your own question, really.

"They're boring, vapid, and lack any kind of imagination whatsoever."
-So they're easy to make. Maybe two to three minutes apiece. Aesthetic is literally MS Paint, so no real effort is required.

"They're like astrology signs where characteristics are just generic enough so that someone could say "hey that's just like me"."
-Which makes them super effective at their job: trolling.

A cheap and easy way to insult people for salt points.

On 4chan at least they're easy to use for any article, especially bait articles. A sad wojak is an easy go-to for any "Hey /board/ why is this circumstance like this", something like a boomer/zoomer is good for "Ugh I can't believe [demographic] is like this", and various other mocking wojaks/-oomers add punch to any dumb thread title. Where images are required to start a thread, wojak became a very lazy yet effective image.

They are Gen Z Rage Comics--they're , like, The Next Generation of MSPaint memes. It started with a bro-to-bro support comic, which started off wholesome, but then spiraled into other derivatives.

I don't care what anybody says, but Brainlet Wojak is fucking funny and creative. I love seeing the variety in demonstrating how dumb something is to the creator. You could just post a boring "this is bait" meme, or you could boot up MSPaint and draw a fucking Minigolf windmill spewing water out a Wojak's empty head. And that's just one iteration. It's hilarious!

MortoQueiba wrote:

You answered your own question, really.

"They're boring, vapid, and lack any kind of imagination whatsoever."
-So they're easy to make. Maybe two to three minutes apiece. Aesthetic is literally MS Paint, so no real effort is required.

"They're like astrology signs where characteristics are just generic enough so that someone could say "hey that's just like me"."
-Which makes them super effective at their job: trolling.

A cheap and easy way to insult people for salt points.

Pretty much all of these.

Maybe to add more to it from what I seen on Youtube: I've seen Wojak being used a few times in some Youtube videos though the context for one kind of video was focused on being pure meme and making a jab at cryptocurrency while the other was pretty much just being for Russian music (of which I can say was catchy for what it was worth as someone that doesn't know a bit of Russian). Only other use I seen Wojaks being used was as nothing more than thumbnail clickbait for channels that used text-to-speech readings of Reddit post. These wojaks pretty much could be used for compilations of reddit stories about terrible bosses and listening to gloomy sounding music.

The only possible positive a wojak meme could get in being popular is whatever original work or joke one could make such as the following: Doomguy Boomer on a lawn mower in hell, tradwife wojak and e-thot mommy being shipped together as an lgbt couple, Doomer thinking of an anime or dog while Doomer girl is a fat goth woman thinking of themselves as wojak's talking to each other.

Also since Freakenstein above me finds brainlet wojak to be creative and funny, I will say that I found the consoomer wojak of Movie Bob to be funny. I'll admit that wojak was pretty much made to denigrate Movie Bob but seeing how he acted on Twitter and being something of an ass, I found it to be a funny wojak since it was focused on a man that thinks Marvel cape films are a high grade form of cinema and not just some popcorn flick churned out by Disney.

Last edited Jan 17, 2020 at 07:41PM EST

"how dumb something is to the creator"

This is just "thing I don't like" worded in third person, and last time I checked, nobody liked that concept except the creator of those.

I think they've caught on because most of them are easy to identify with and embody certain characteristics within ourselves or within society. They represent things that some people might not understand or even recognize but are still very much present.

also, they funny

Last edited Jan 17, 2020 at 10:30PM EST

Nedhitis wrote:

"how dumb something is to the creator"

This is just "thing I don't like" worded in third person, and last time I checked, nobody liked that concept except the creator of those.

It's not even limited to "thing I don't like", in fact, not even what it's used for. Mostly used for bad takes or ironically/unironically dumb posturing.

"NORMIES"
It started with 4chan (as it usually does) as a reaction to show feels and Pepe was there to shit and piss all over those feels.
The influx of normies from reddit, Ifunny, 9gag, KnowYourMeme, etc. have made them all a part of the edgy teen starter pack.
Now they are far from being what they started as.

Last edited Jan 22, 2020 at 07:18PM EST

Back in the day, ( probably early 2010's ) I was attracted to Wojak because he was still about "That feeling when". We all could sympathize with him. It was rather innocent. Anything that made you react a certain way was "that feel".

Since then, he's mutated from being a emotion everyone can relate to, to classifying a certain demographic/imaginary demographic which doesn't make it as relatable

Last edited Jan 27, 2020 at 06:57PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!