Forums / Discussion / General

232,918 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

TikTok might be banned in the US

Last posted Mar 25, 2024 at 08:50PM EDT. Added Mar 13, 2024 at 04:40PM EDT
14 posts from 14 users

The US House of Representatives passes a bill (full name: "Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act") that might ban TikTok on US grounds, unless its parent company, ByteDance, sells the app within 180 days.

ByteDance clearly doesn't want this bill to be signed because if it passes, it's game over for them –and several KYM mods/staff indirectly.–

Link to the France 24 article here

I'm surprised by the amount of people here who are onboard with a ban. But I suppose the days of a censor-free internet are long gone.

I see the main reason being chinese spyware, but Tiktok isn't the only app that does it. Would it go across to any chinese games? Would there be a straight up ban on anything remotely related to Tencent? Would there have to be a digital embargo on a lot of chinese companies? (if not all)

And if Tiktok was banned, it'd be more likely that some clone would take it's place, just like how Tiktok replaced Vine. And even back then people wanted Vine gone because it was "cringe."

Mixed opinions on it.

Despite the OP, I don't care for all the TikTok trend articles. I don't hate them either, they still are memes to some extent, though I do wish staff would prioritize bigger entries over them by far.

I don't use TikTok and never intend to. But I know a lot of people do.

There are obvious concerns about companies with ties to foreign governments that are adversarial to the US collecting and using data on US citizens. Also… this should go for ones that are based in the US as well.

But on the flip side…

As iterated previously it feels like a questionable precedent. At least this time it doesn't come across as a kneejerk reaction to a platform that the president has a vendetta against. Indeed… the opposite seems to be happening. Still, it would be interesting to see where the boundaries of this lay legally.

There are also some who believe that it is being done in part to help combat misinformation / control the narrative of Isreal and Palestine.

Ultimately, I won't miss it if it is completely shut down. The "good" videos will likely stay in circulation and the uploader watermark will make documentation easier than with Vine.

I still remember that time Bin Laden went trending on TikTok

Even giving a cursory glance you still have some of the most insane political cases from jihadists, neo-nazis, vatniks and extremists of all sorts proliferating over there. It was one thing to have dangerous 'trends' which hurt people, but this kind of brainrot will and has hurt our societies.

Did we let ISIS have a platform, under the idea that "sunlight will clean things out"? No, they just recruited other terrorists, so we're past the point of quibbling where these "lone wolves" come from.

The problem is the questionable precedent this sets Some people say it's giving the CCP a taste of their own medicine, but the CCP's ham-fisted control of their media & internet is supposed to be a mark against them. Also, to be fair social media in general has this issue in varying degrees, so we're all hypocrites. The same could be said of Twitter, the difference with TikTok are the Chinese owners.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!