Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,721 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Favorite Weapons from Video Games

Last posted May 30, 2012 at 06:02PM EDT. Added May 25, 2012 at 03:59AM EDT
63 posts from 46 users

This thread is solely for the discussion of weapons from video games. Anything goes: swords, knives, rifles, pistols, blunt objects, etc. etc. No weapons from the real world allowed.

Personally, I'm a fan of reliable, accurate rifles, like Ol' Painless from Fallout 3, the Rosenkov M-97 Viper from Mass Effect 2 & 3, the Crye Associates Modular Rifle Caseless from the Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games and other such accurate, decently quick long range guns. Nothing beats rapidly shooting the heads off of multiple targets from 100 meters plus.

Got any personal favorites from games that you want to talk about? Post 'em here.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 03:59AM EDT

Right off the top of my head:

The Redeemer (Unreal Tournament). Why? It fired nukes

The Gravity Gun (Half Life 2). For obvious reasons

The "BFG" (Half Life: Opposing force): No not the one from Doom or Quake. This was a BFG featured in Half Life (That's right. Half Life had a BFG) . The difference about the one in Half Life is that as a secondary fire it could teleport you to an alien dimension where you could explore for a bit before returning you back to earth in a different location.

The Shrink Ray (Duke Nukem 3D). What other game let you literally crush your enemies by reducing them to the size of a roach…then stomping on them? So much damn fun

Golden PP7 (Goldeneye64). I played Goldeneye exclusively just to use this gun. One shot killed which may sound boring until you remember that in Goldeneye everything explodes. Firing the Gold PP7 around like crazy resulted in tons of explosive fun. Ah those were the days

The Fusion cannon (Descent). In Descent there was a glitch where if multiple enemies stacked together, the fusion cannon would blow them up entirely in one single shot. Plus the fusion cannon looked and sounded awesome. SHOOOP PEOW! BOOOOM!

The Minigun (AVP2). AVP2 had the coolest minigun. It looked badass, it sounded badass, it handled badass, it did a badass amount of damage. The one in TF2 is a kids toy by comparison. The AVP2 minigun was for men. It struck fear into the hears of Humans and Aliens alike once they heard its loud whirring motors, let alone its meaty testicular fire sound. Anyone caught in the way of this thing died in milliseconds. Too bad I never saw it again in the sequels.

I might think of other later, I played many games and liked many weapons

The Seastone Trident, which, being made from seastone, causes profuse bleeding only intensified by the saltwater which gets into wounds. In other words, the lower the target's health, the higher the damage dealt by bleeding.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 06:29AM EDT

The Half Life 2 pulse rifle:

It's one of the few guns in any game that have ever felt powerful to me. There's just something about the sound it makes. It also looks badass, and that auto-reload cycle is possibly the most awesome thing in the history of everything. Secondary fire launches a bouncy insta-kill plasma ball thing, and that's kinda cool too.

There's also the Spartan Laser from Halo 3 and Halo Reach (especially the Reach version):

That's another one that actually feels powerful to use. There's something deeply satisfying about waiting through its slow charge cycle before completely obliterating a tank from a few hundred meters away. With Halo being a fairly fast paced FPS, it was very difficult to use it effectively in combat, but that just made it twice as satisfying when it actually worked.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 07:01AM EDT

The revolver from half life 2, that shit may have had low ammo but it was fucking Kyriptonite.

IT just takes 1 headshot on most combine forces to takem out with that fucking gun.

A light in shinning darkness It was this special .45 auto pistol you get from completing Honest hearts in Fallout new vegas. It saved me a lot of times from legionary hit squads. Other than that there is pushy a displacer glove from fallout new vegas. i cannot count the amount of times i raped ranged based foes with it.

Fallout 3: Experimental MIRV
Fallout NV: Oh, Baby!
And if weapons from mods count, Lil Macintosh for both 3 and NV.

I really haven't played alot of games, but its really fun playing the Force Unleashed 2 and grilling stormtroopers with dual lightsabers and severing their limbs. It feels more realistic, and thankfully, there's no blood.

doom 1 & 2 ….after attain the BERSERK powerup

…….or if modded

using the songs: "never gonna give you up" or "disco inferno"

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT

One does not simply pick a favorite weapon.
If I had to pick it would be the Omega RYNO V from Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time.

It could be considered to have shotgun, rocket launcher and machine gun properties. Unlike a shotgun, the outer barrel was automatic and consistently sprayed bullets. The rocket launcher property was the fact that it released a pair of rockets every six seconds. It also plays and fires in sync with the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. Generally though, I like any gun from this series. I've beaten every single Ratchet and Clank game about 10 times or more. Oh, and if you don't know what "RYNO" stands for, it means "Rip You a New One."

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 01:09PM EDT

The Black Box. I can go on a rampage with this thing equipped. Even if I don't kill the enemy I can survive long enough for back up to arrive.

The Sword of Aeons (in the original Fable, not The Lost Chapters). It hits like a truck, instantly killing nearly everything if you have maxed strength. That includes stuff that takes several hits from the Solus Greatsword, which is the next strongest sword.

The Bioshock Crossbow. I don't even need to explain this.

The shotgun from Halo 1. Halo CE was the first FPS I ever played, and when I first fired this beast, it was love at first shot. There was nothing it couldn't do. They nerfed it in Halo 2, but it was my darling all the way from CE to Reach. And yes, I still like Halo. Deal with it.

Also, I like mechs. I played a bit of the original Mechwarrior, but I'm more of a fan of the mechs from Lost Planet. The game's story and voice acting sucked, but fighting giant aliens with a giant robot has never been more satisfying. I especially liked this one with the chainsaw:

And this spider one that turns into a tank:

Too bad Lost Planet 2 sucked. I'm also going to agree with Nightfury about Metal Gear Rex. That boss fight in MGS4 was one of the best ones I ever fought.

And finally, I'm going to go with the Incinerate plasmid from Bioshock. It's technically not a weapon as much as it is a genetic mutation, but there is something immensely satisfying about setting someone on fire in but a second, then watch them run screaming towards the nearest puddle of water.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 04:18PM EDT

Muffins wrote:

The shotgun from Halo 1. Halo CE was the first FPS I ever played, and when I first fired this beast, it was love at first shot. There was nothing it couldn't do. They nerfed it in Halo 2, but it was my darling all the way from CE to Reach. And yes, I still like Halo. Deal with it.

Also, I like mechs. I played a bit of the original Mechwarrior, but I'm more of a fan of the mechs from Lost Planet. The game's story and voice acting sucked, but fighting giant aliens with a giant robot has never been more satisfying. I especially liked this one with the chainsaw:

And this spider one that turns into a tank:

Too bad Lost Planet 2 sucked. I'm also going to agree with Nightfury about Metal Gear Rex. That boss fight in MGS4 was one of the best ones I ever fought.

And finally, I'm going to go with the Incinerate plasmid from Bioshock. It's technically not a weapon as much as it is a genetic mutation, but there is something immensely satisfying about setting someone on fire in but a second, then watch them run screaming towards the nearest puddle of water.

Incinerate used so little EVE for so much fun… I always felt like Roy Mustang combusting my enemies every time.

A weapon I forgot to mention: Far Cry 2's IEDs.

Never before has being an absolute dick online been so much fun.

Stick one to a car and drive it near some enemies, jump out, and detonate – Hilarity ensues

Drop it in the middle of a road, wait for a car full of enemy players to by, detonate – Hilarity ensues

Stick it onto a recently spawned vehicle, wait around a corner for ignition, detonate – Hilarity ensues

Stick it near an enemy spawn point, wait, detonate – Hilarity ensues

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 05:02PM EDT

The Force-A-Nature, from TF2.

Sure, it has a bad rap as a "noob weapon," but it's fun to use. Heck, half of the fun is just launching yourself into the air with its midair recoil!

As for other games…

The Home Run Bat. Ever since I got Melee, I thought there was nothing more satisfying than hearing that piercing "KSHOOSH" sound and seeing an enemy get sent flying by the sheer force of this wooden nightmare.

These bad boys:

With these, I can do a lot of damage and harass people. The Degreaser's faster switch combined with the Reserve Shooter's bonus increases the switch between the two by 70%. The Powerjack grants 75 health on-kill, so I use it in situations where I need health and Medics or health packs aren't avaliable. The 10% speed increase I get from the Gas Jockey's Gear (Degreaser, Powerjack, and the Attendent [Hat]) makes it easier to catch up to people. The 10% bullet vulnerablility doesn't seem to affect me, seeing as how I usualy die in the same amount of time without it.

I also ought to mention how much I prefer to use middle of the road type weapons(assault rifles and the like), guns that don't specialize.

You give me a choice between a high powered but slow firing sniper rifle, a powerful but short ranged shotgun or an all around average and overall weaker assault rifle, I'll take the AR every time. Every single time.

Good examples of such weapons are the aforementioned MR-C, the turian Phaeston assault rifle from Mass Effect 3, the Authority Machine Gun from RAGE, etc. etc.

However, I'll also admit that powerful, long range pistols are another type of weapon I really enjoy. Since I just mentioned RAGE, I figure I ought to mention the Settler's Pistol. Sure, it's the first weapon you get. Yes, its standard ammo is pretty weak. But even with the basic rounds, the monocular is still a useful upgrade. Combine with the Fat Mamma round, though, and you're basically wielding an anti-materiel rifle. Another pistol in this category is Crysis 2's Majestic revolver with Assault Scope attachment. Maybe not as powerful as the Settler's Pistol from RAGE, but it still drops regular Ceph Grunts and Stalkers in two shots.

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@Nair:

Speaking of RAGE, I have to give props to the shotgun in that game, entirely because of the pop rockets. Explosive shotgun rounds that are easy to make in mass, and can tear every enemy to shreds. At one point I used only Sentry Bots and pop rockets and easily beat the game on Nightmare.

Pop Rockets are awesome, sure, but I prefer to use the revolver because it literally blows clean through Authority Enforcers' helmets.

I've even gotten double headshots. Fat Mammas don't stop for nothing.

EDIT: Also, Pop Rockets tend to gib your enemies. You can't salvage stuff from gibbed hostiles.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 06:18PM EDT

A few of my favorites are already mentioned, the Final Smash ball and the Home Run Bat from the Super Smash Bros games. Classic stuff right there.

As for some of my other favorites, they come from an N64 game called Turok: Rage Wars which basically served no other purpose than for my step-siblings and I to run around and blow each other up with weird guns.

One of them was the Sentry Turret, which I enjoyed leaving in dark corners for my siblings to run by unaware of its existence and get blown to smithereens.

Another one was Napalm Gel. They were sticky napalms that we would enjoy sticking to each other's backs and heads and manually detonating.

Actually, a LOT of the weapons were pretty cool. XD You can see most of them in this video

It makes me want to play it again, LOL

Last edited May 26, 2012 at 12:08AM EDT

All Weapons From:

Half Life 2
Rachet and Clank
Smash Bros
Skyrim
Fallout
Team Fortress 2
Everything from this thread.

and finally….

Last edited May 26, 2012 at 07:55AM EDT

One of my favorite weapons in recent memory would be Dawnbreaker, fro The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

It's a Daedric weapon, owned by Meridia, the Daedric Prince of Life, who happens to really hate undead. That's in everyone's favor, because the sword's effect, acquired once you do her quest, has a fantastic effect: in addition to burning a target for 10 points, when you kill an undead, it releases an enchantment which makes all undead flee the area. In dungeons full of mummified Draugr, ie all of them it comes in incredibly handy.

Oh, how could I forget Shikieiki Yamaxanadu's Rod of Remorse?

It's a slab of wood, which is as light as a slab of wood. She writes down your sins on it, and depending the "weight" of your sins, the weight of impact on your end will change. The weight only affects the sinner, as Shikieiki could swing it with ease as if it were an ordinary wooden plank, and a grave sinner she would hit would feel like she was getting hit with a sledgehammer or a boulder.

Battlefield:
"3" L85A2

"BC2" AN94

MG36:

Final Fantasy:
Blazefire Saber

GTA TbogT:
Sticky Bombs

CoD BO:
Commando

Saints Row:
"2" McManus 2010

"3" The Penetrator

EDIT: Page get

Last edited May 26, 2012 at 08:39PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!